TN 2005 Jadot Savigny-les-Beaune "La Dominode"

AlohaArtakaHoundsong

TN 2005 Jadot Savigny-les-Beaune "La Dominode"

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Cellaring has made a difference. This wine was remarkably high, tight and thin on release. I had it once or twice more between now and then and it seemed the same. Tonight the wine killed it. This still has a seam of tannin that is very thin but very stiff; the fruit however has really blossomed and come into a deeper, sweeter phase. Though I think I prefer my burgs and pinots a little more relaxed, this is in a nice fruit spectrum for me. Very food-friendly too.
RPCV

Re: TN 2005 Jadot Savigny-les-Beaune "La Dominode"

Post by RPCV »

Beaune absolutely killed it in 2005. Hanging on to mine for a few more years although, I must say that a recent Pavelot Dominode was spectacular. Pure, deep fruit a streak of palate-cleansing acidity with moderate tannin and wonderful length.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

2005 Burgundy may be the greatest vintage for any wine region ever.
stefan

Post by stefan »

2002 Pol Roger Blanc de Blanc was zinging last night with caviar and shrimp for Lucie's birthday dinner with our kids and grandkids. I am sad that we have no more of this beauty.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Happy birthday to Lucie!
2002 Pol Roger was so smooth....
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

times., happy birthday Lucie!
Love that 2002 PR BdB. Nice choice to celebrate!
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Just checked, I’ve got 3 more bottles of the 2002 Pol Roger BdB. I will open on soon, thanks for the enablement.
sdr

Post by sdr »

Happy Bday, Lucie, glad to see stefan opens something good for you.

Stu
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Guys
I have over the last few years backfilled 2005, 2009 and 2010 red Burgundies at auction, and occasionally on clearance here, but the retail prices here for aged wines are crazy.
I unfortunately sold the 05's that I had in storage when I moved to Singapore.
So for around E20 plus commission, tax and freight (meaning a landed price of about E37), I have bought numerous cases of 1ers Crus from Gevry, Beaune, SLB, NSG, Pommard, Volnay, even Chassange Montrachet rouge (Clos St Jean).
The Singapore market is definitely going thru changes (I mean pre-virus) where there is a movement from the very top wines like DRC, to what I think of as "middle ranked" wines that have historically been overlooked at auction.

The 05's are with some exceptions a'point now. I exclude the longest living wines, which cost a king's ransom over here anyway.
They have started to develop mature characters - earth, truffles, mushroom - as well as having lots of fruit, and I am finding them quite irresistible.
I like both 2009 (a darker fruit style) and 2010 as well, but 2005 seems to offer the best aspects of both yet remained balanced.
What is so nice about 2005 is that the vintage was excellent in just about every village, and the basic village wines performed very well.

I also point out that with the possible exception of 1982, I think 2005 in Bordeaux is the best vintage I have tried - for young wines.
I am not making any predictions as to whether 2009, 2010, 2015 or 2016 will end up being better.
I was obviously too young for 1961 (i mean when the wines were young) but I'd say that 1982 was the best Bordeaux vintage in my time.