Wine to drink during the NFL draft: Piper Rare 2002

Musigny 151

Wine to drink during the NFL draft: Piper Rare 2002

Post by Musigny 151 »

Let me say now, this is boring, and God alone knows why I am still watching even after my team the Jets made their excellent selection. But I have a bottle of 2002 Piper Rare champagne. It is a terrific example of why you can’t judge a book by its cover. It is without doubt the ugliest bottle in my cellar. It is partially covered in gold filigree, and if I was going to a disco party, I would reach out for this. iVulgarity on a bottle.

Inside it is a delight, a truly beautiful Champagne. More on the fruit than the brioche side, bright and easy with flavors of white peach, and floral notes. Beautifully layered, and completely “integrated” with an extremely long finish. It is not going to get any better, but it’s been on this plateau for the last couple of years, and will probably stay there for another decade 94
JimHow

Re: Wine to drink during the NFL draft: Piper Rare 2002

Post by JimHow »

Patriots on the clock.
Not sipping anything tonight but the off-season has led me to drink.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

And they trade it....
Of course....
Grrrr.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I love that a Brit is such an American football fan that he calls the Jets his team!

When I still paid attention to the NFL, being from Rochester NY, I was a big (and of course perpetually heart-broken) Buffalo Bills fan
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

Blanquito wrote:I love that a Brit is such an American football fan that he calls the Jets his team!

When I still paid attention to the NFL, being from Rochester NY, I was a big (and of course perpetually heart-broken) Buffalo Bills fan
Not only me, but I made my son a Jets fan too. He considers it the one unforgivable thing I have ever done to him, and it borders on child abuse.
jal

Post by jal »

Ha,
My son blames me for the Jets, the Mets, the Knicks...
Luckily we’re both Liverpool fans; he, since birth, me since the seventh grade.
Ready to be left empty handed again this year despite being the best team in the world :-(
Best

Jacques
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

JimHow wrote:Patriots on the clock.
Not sipping anything tonight but the off-season has led me to drink.
Told ya, Jim. Pats were not as good as they seemed in the first half dozen games of last year...And when I mentioned the same to three of my friends who are from Boston and the staunchest supporters, they almost ostracized me...

Maybe instead of the draft, better to sip a fine medoc while watching the 2 hr episode of ‘The Last Dance’, come Sunday... When it comes to sports, nothing better on TV right now I guess....

Also, I was wondering aren’t there any bettings in Vegas regarding when the government is gonna reopen, if the nfl, mlb, etc. is gonna reopen this season, etc.? .. :D
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

I call the 2002 Piper Rare a real crowd pleaser. I think I have one bottle left and I made history when I brought it to FL to drink with Stu and Kathy and he said he had never had it. Paramedics were called as I went into shock. I'm happy with the Skin's pick. Young went to high school in the next town over.
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

jal wrote:Ha,
Luckily we’re both Liverpool fans; he, since birth, me since the seventh grade.
Ready to be left empty handed again this year despite being the best team in the world :-(
Nice one. I'm a massive Red as well (I was fortunate to be there when we won the European Cup in Istanbul, 2005). If the season is declared 'null & void', I'm going 'Postal'!! If/when we're declared champions, I'm pulling the cork on something very special...
jal

Post by jal »

Nice Ian,
My son and I were at this season's last Premier League game at Anfield in March against Bournemouth. I almost bought tickets to the Atletico game three days later as well, thankfully we couldn't make that, otherwise we would have both been exposed to the virus with all that it implies.
YNWA
Best

Jacques
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Remember in the 80s when the Jets started the season like 13-1, and then basically didn’t win another game?

Jacques, wow, between the Mets, Jets, and Knicks, that’s some serious heart burn!
jal

Post by jal »

Blanquito wrote:Remember in the 80s when the Jets started the season like 13-1, and then basically didn’t win another game?

Jacques, wow, between the Mets, Jets, and Knicks, that’s some serious heart burn!
1986. We were 10-1 and Paul McGuire on NBC said we wouldn't win another game. Hated the bastard for it. We ended the season 10-6, beat the Chiefs in the first round of the playoffs and lost in a heartbreak to the Bernie Kosar Browns when Gastineau was called on a dubious late hit penalty. Still my worst moment as a Jets fan. Worse than the butt fumble!
Best

Jacques
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

JimHow wrote:And they trade it....
Of course....
Grrrr.
I should have laid a prop bet on that. If you don't know Belicheck by now ...

You see articles occasionally pointing out all the flops drafted league-wide before Brady in the 6th round. Just look at who the Pats took before Brady. A couple of guys made the team, none I think made much impact. J.R. Redmond was a backup RB as was Patrick Pass. Klemm definitely played on the OL line and may have started a couple of seasons. None of these guys is in even the Patriots hall of fame. The draft is a crap shoot. I wouldn't mind them spending one of their thirds on Jalen Hurts though.
Last edited by AlohaArtakaHoundsong on Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yeah, the experts are saying the Pats are the "best positioned" team in rounds 2 and 3, they have 7 picks.
I dunno, i guess the rubber will hit the road this year, we'll see how great he is.
Myself, i think they should have just kept Tom for two more years, but I'm just a sentimental guy.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

JimHow wrote:Yeah, the experts are saying the Pats are the "best positioned" team in rounds 2 and 3, they have 7 picks.
I dunno, i guess the rubber will hit the road this ear, we'll see how great he is.
Myself, i think they should have just kept Tom for two more years, but I'm just a sentimental guy.
It's going to be fun see what happens in TB. At least you know they are going to be in a lot of feature games at least in the first six weeks.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

The Pats really need a QB. I was surprised they didn’t t trade up, and I am even more surprised the Giants did not trade down.

Anyway pleased with the Jets selection of Becton. As well as being a monster on the line, I can see him given the ball for short yardage touchdowns.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

First round draft picks are like hyped wines. Takes a while to find out which ones are really worth it.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

DavidG wrote:First round draft picks are like hyped wines. Takes a while to find out which ones are really worth it.
Not to mention “heisman” winners...
jal

Post by jal »

When a NY team finally drafted a Heisman winner it was the Knicks who took Charlie Ward :roll:
Best

Jacques
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

The Knicks have to be the worst run franchise in all of professional sports.
jal

Post by jal »

Blanquito wrote:The Knicks have to be the worst run franchise in all of professional sports.
No doubt!
Best

Jacques
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

My Vikings and Chiefs will be competitive again this year.

For the Pats, i think it is a good change. I respect Brady, but last season we could see that the very best is behind. The Pats looked better than they were, being in the weakest division.

And want it or not, Gisele was bored of New England cold weather. She'll be more comfortable on the warm sunny beaches.

Nic
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

I'm multi tasking tonight playing poker on-line with some wine friends and watching the draft. I probably won't have too much time to think much about the wine so I'm going with something on the young side, a 2013 Newton Unfiltered Cab.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

We just picked a safety from a D2 school.
Ooookay.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

JimHow wrote:We just picked a safety from a D2 school.
Ooookay.
Well he was D2 defensive player of the year, he's athletic and seems pretty smart. Plus he returns punts. You know Chung is going down at some point this season and he seems to come out for a series or two every game holding something. This guy is going to play a lot.

I always like the draft. Although 50% of the armchair experts are outraged or disappointed, I like looking at the highlight reels after the fact. And the way the Pats offseason has gone, and the talent that remains from last year, it's not hard to see all of the first five guys the Pats drafted getting significant playing time. They lost three linebackers who each played and their tight ends were like placeholders. These guys will all play; whether they can do the job remains to be seen.
stefan

Post by stefan »

The CBs are to be feared now that they have a coach, especially if the offensive line can stay healthy. They should win when they can hold the opponent to 35 points.