TN So I tried the 2010 Talbot again

AlohaArtakaHoundsong

TN So I tried the 2010 Talbot again

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

For the first time in several years. Just to recap (no, I will not go into a paragraphs-long discussion of the weather during the 2010 growing season), on release this wine seemed very promising and not atypical of Bordeaux, the left bank or St. Julien. Good scale, fairly fresh, well balanced. Definitely something to look forward to.

Last night, I found the wine impressive and a bit surprising. This is a large-scaled wine, there is no doubt about that. But it is not heavy, the scale relates to flavor saturation and how it seems to fill the mouth. The bouquet is alluring and pretty cedary. I give it plus marks. The wine is very drinkable. It's out of the red and blue flavors spectrum and more towards the black, but stops short of figs, liqorice, etc. So that's OK. Here's the thing though, and this is probably a matter of personal taste. This wine seems to have a lot of dry substance in the mouthfeel (weren't "IPTs" "off the charts" generally in this vintage?). It's not super-fluid and round. I think a lot of people will like this, but I think this lacks a little acidity, which in a balanced wine I always attribute that round and mouthwatering sensation to just the right level of acidity. There's still tannin to burn but nothing obtrusive. So while we had no problem knocking out this bottle with dinner I would say it is not the perfect wine for me. But again, I think a lot of people would find this very pleasing. And I certainly liked it and wouldn't be displeased or embarrassed to pour this for company on any occasion.

This wine is definitely open for business. It is in a drinking window. It might not be quite your drinking window. It may enter other drinking windows (like a tertiary one) too.

So, for the price, the name and the vintage I would say this meets expectations. Ten years on I have no regrets. Now, let's see how my experience compares with recent CT notes. Always fun.
Comte Flaneur

Re: TN So I tried the 2010 Talbot again

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Thanks for the update Arthur. I have tried it too in the last year or so and was surprised by how delicious and approachable it was. I would be happy to own a few.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Thanks for the note. It's on my short list to open one sometime this year for an early check on the 2010 Cru Classe wines in my cellar.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Interesting report Art.

I always liked Talbot. A bit out of most radar since beginning of the 90's, but not for me.

I wish i would have some 2010. The 2017 is an excellent Talcot and i'm looking forward what the ex- La Conseillante winemaker can bring to that huge terroir Saint-Julien.

The 2002 Talbot has been one of my best ever deal in the past, when i bought some bottles in the US for 20-22 $ each! In 2019, in Denver, the 1989 magnum i brought with jeanFred was excellent and classic.

Unfortunately, like other Grands Vins de Bordeaux, the price is increasing since a few vintages.

Nic
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Thanks for the timely post since we’ve been talking about 2010. I just did a check and have two bottles, cool. I had forgotten that I got this. Also just bought some Lagrange, b21 has it now for $75.
jal

Post by jal »

Last time I had the 2010 Lagrange, I wasn't crazy about it. Anyone tasted it lately? I have one bottle left...
Best

Jacques
AKR

Post by AKR »

Is Talbot still a big steakhouse staple? I hardly ever go out to fancy places any more, so am not looking at winelists anymore. That and Silver Oak.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Approachable, delicious, soft, low-ish acids... seems to sum up Talbot pretty nicely since 2000.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes, I remember being struck by how soft the 2010 Talbot was upon release.
It seemed like a cmpletely different animal from the Talbots of the '80s.