TN 2005 Ch. la Fleur de Bouard

AlohaArtakaHoundsong

TN 2005 Ch. la Fleur de Bouard

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Interesting counterpoint to the other night's 2010 Talbot in one particular. First off, this is a fairly bold mouthful of wine. There's power here for merlot doubters. This is large scaled and full-bodied but also not heavy. Still quite dark in color, there's a pleasing bouquet which I couldn't really describe more specifically besides winey. Kind of smoky blackberries (or at least dark flavors) and some earthiness in the mouth, this shows more acidity than the Talbot did and so this has a pleasing, round and weighty sensation, fresh, lively and just pleasing texturally. There's tannic support but nothing dry or raspy; its all subsumed into that nice texture. The only point to pick at is there is an impression or flavor of slight sourness which is right on the border of complicating and detracting. I attribute it, perhaps incorrectly, to the oak treatment this received, which was far more prominent in both the bouquet, flavor and texture of this wine early on. Now, it's just a note that you might find a complicating factor or an off note, or perhaps even both at different sips. But, overall, this is good and it went well with strip steaks. I have at least one more and I won't hesitate to drink it this year or in the near-term (1-3 years). This seems to have plenty of time left but it's on a good plateau right here.
AKR

Re: TN 2005 Ch. la Fleur de Bouard

Post by AKR »

It is a truth universally acknowledged that the Right Bank is the Best Bank
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

AKR wrote:It is a truth universally acknowledged that the Right Bank is the Best Bank
I agree, but not for wines. Then for what?

I think i had one vintage of La Fleur de Bouard in my life. Liked it but can't remember the vintag. That 2005 seems excellent but no surprise as 2005 is the best ever vintage.

Nic
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

I think you've got the wine described pretty well. I went through a case of this with one bottle left and I'd call dark plummy notes but a little too heavy handed on the toasted oak that I thought would come around and balance out but over the last 5 yrs with one every 6 mths or so it really hasn't changed for the better. I'm not sure on this one.I bought this for an early to intermediate drinker and it's filled a spot but haven't bought any other vintage. Pleasant but still a little disjointed and not sure that it will fully come together.
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I like La Fleur de Bouard.
There. I said it.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

I had the 2000 and 1999 recently, they were not faring well. I really think these wines are meant for near-term drinking. I agree with Danny on the style.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Oh definitely near term drinking.