2016 Corbin, Tiger King, Alaska case, and other ramblings...

JimHow

2016 Corbin, Tiger King, Alaska case, and other ramblings...

Post by JimHow »

Things leveling off here in Maine, we've been pretty "lucky," just barely a thousand cases.
Our Democratic governor announcing her get back to work plan tomorrow, looks like things are going to be extended a bit longer but some fazed in reopenings of businesses. Ready to get back to work.

Uncorked a 2016 Corbin tonight for a little right bank enjoyment.
Attachments
IMG_3848.jpg
IMG_3848.jpg (106.11 KiB) Viewed 2246 times
JimHow

Re: 2016 Corbin, Tiger King, Alaska case, and other ramblings...

Post by JimHow »

Yes, I watched all episodes of Tiger King. There. I admitted it.

It's a pretty good example of just about everything that has gone wrong in the old USA.

He's obviously a pitiful character, and I realize I've only seen eight hours of the story, but the prosecution is a pretty good example of why I'm not a big fan of prosecutors or the American criminal justice system. 22 years for what appears to me to be some pretty sketchy facts.

Amerika, the proud owner of the highest incarceration rates in the world, along with those bastions of justice, China and Saudi Arabia....

It is okay for defense lawyers to pose for the camera but never acceptable for a prosecutor. It's why I will really struggle to vote for Klobuchar or Harris, I really despise prosecutors in general. There are some good ones, obviously, most of them old timers who are on their way out... But most of them today fuck indiscriminately with peoples' lives... just because they can. And the politically appointed judges enable them and do nothing to stop them.

And they didn't go too deep into the disappearance of the lady's husband but I think she killed him. I've seen that look before, that look in her eyes. I've had clients like her. She a cold-blooded killer.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

When we do our next Zoom meeting we will follow the following rules:

1. No discussion of Covid-19.

2. More structured discussion, one at a time, similar to the first meeting.

3. Theme: No fucking Beaujolais! Are you mad? No Beaujolais! Jesus Christ!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

We had a great meeting at Chateau Corbin at our BWE trip in 2015.
We didn't book it this time around but you know, guys, we might want to try to fit it in next time.

We were trying to tell Annabelle that we had met her a couple times in NYC but she of course had no clue who the hell we were.
Then Timmy pulled up a picture from the tasting in Times Square circa 2003...

Ah, do you know Mark Golodetz?

Yes, Annabelle... Yes, we know Mark Golodetz.

She's a pure delight, one of the joys of Bordeaux.

Danny, MEK, and other took some great pictures from that visit, perhaps you can dig one or two out here?
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I'm good on no Bojo.
My suggestion would be 2009 Bordeaux.
As far as that show, you couldn't pay me to watch it.
and as far as prosecutors, some of them go after the people who hurt the underprivileged. I thought you would have more respect for that type.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Speaking of scumbag prosecutors....

Some of you know about my Alaska case... well, because I force it upon you here, I know, but this is a good place for me to keep some sembleance of a diary of the case. The New York Times and Boston Globe Spotlight Team are doing features on it, and like at least four authors want to write books.

So we are absolutely convinced that this Maine resident sitting in a hell hole known as the Fairbanks Correctional Center in east Butt-Fuck, Alaska, is innocent of this 27-year-old cold case murder. One of the problems we have is that "a few" spermatozoa molecules alleged to be his are connected to the 27-year-old crime scene. There are numerous explanations for this, but the head-in-the-sand prosecutors are convinced that they have their man. Consequently, they are trying everything they can to fit square pegs into round holes to railroad this guy.

He's been in jail since February 15, 2019. We were supposed to litigate pretrial motions this month, and try the case in September, before the snows came and 22 hours of darkness in Fairbanks, 14 miles from the Arctic Circle.

Well, meantime, Corona comes and kills all our plans.

This is one of 5 high profile homicide cases I am working on with my younger associate Jesse Archer.

My plan was to put these tough cases behind me in 2020 and cruise toward Medicare in three and a half years.

But no.

Now, nearly a year and a half after my client was arrested in Auburn, Maine, and trasported 5,000 miles cross-country in a Kafkaesque odyssey to Alska, the proecutors have dumped over 5,000 pages of "new" discovery on us -- most from 1993, mind you. Our initial asssessment of the discovery is that they completely fucked up the initial investigation. There are like 95 alternate suspects, including one fellow (not my client) who confessed to the crime, and then went on to kill another person. You think I'm kidding.

Anyway... So I printed up all the documentary discovery this week.
The pile on the left is the original 2,803 pages that was sent to me last summer.
The piles in the middle and on the right were sent to me this past Wednesday evening via email from Alaska.
We now have 7,588 pages of discovery. In other words, it has basically tripled overnight, more than a year after my client's arrest.

For those of us who practice criminal defense law, I can't even begin to explain to you how obscene this is.
this is a perfect example of why I hate prosecutors.
I know very little about Tiger King's case -- he seems like a complete fool -- but I believe NOTHING that is presented by the prosecution.

I'm pretty much going to retire, now, and work on these 5 homicide cases. We are going to go bat-shit in our response to these cowboys.

Man, it has been a year since I did this interview:

https://www.google.com/url?client=inter ... oKDfZ96pcs
Attachments
IMG_3846-2.jpg
IMG_3846-2.jpg (80.63 KiB) Viewed 2203 times
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

I’m with Jim on this, I start from the premise that neither law enforcement, nor prosecutors, are to be trusted. Never. You do so your your own risk and the freedom of your client. I have only seen a scant fraction of what Jimbo has seen as I do not practice criminal law, but I’ve seen enough from that side of the house to never ever trust it.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Amen, my brother.

There is so much that goes on... I'm going to get these cases behind me, sip Bordeaux, write books about it.

So much injustice. It's heartbreaking.

Ironically, the smallest crumbs we've been seeing lately in the criminal court system have been coming from Orange Head's libertarian picks.

As for the 2016 Corbin...

I dare say this her "best" effort yet. It is precise, well picked, well groomed, nary a grape lost or mishandled.
Dare I say... I like some of her "lesser" efforts, where we experience more of her personality....

But then again, who the hell knows...
My only complaint about the 2016s is that they are all seemingly tasting all the same, hard to differentiate, from 2016, left bank or right.

Nonetheless, I found the 2016 Corbin to be one of Annabelle Cruze-Bardinet's less femine efforts, more masculine, didn't check the alcohol level, too tired to get up to the kitchen counter to check, I'm guessing 14%, alcohol absolutely NO issue here, I have two bottles of this left, will drink them 10-15 years from now, they will not be any worse, may be better.

Rating: 93 points. Just wish there was a little more personality to the wine.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

It's like a figure skater scoring perfectly on those technical performances before the prime time events, then she comes out and does everything techically perfectly, no flawed landings, but no breathtaking circa 1968 triple lutzes that would make Dick Button gasp.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Here she is in full glory...2015 Chateau Corbin with Annabelle and Jim.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bcHNZeCxv1GbLGuq7
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Thanks Danny, a great visit!
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

JimHow wrote:When we do our next Zoom meeting we will follow the following rules:

3. Theme: No fucking Beaujolais! Are you mad? No Beaujolais! Jesus Christ!
I feel backstab by the BD. I think the isolation and 5 homicide/murder cases have turned my good friend Jim into a rude person. It would have been so easy to ask the same thing gentlely. But I understand, as MC is swearing more than ever on the last 5 weeks. The stress, the situation, the anxious feeling... and too much Merlot?

Nic
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Tiger King, Biden liking kids jumping up on his lap and Trump injecting lysol....this is how the world views America....we are a clown show....at least we still have the sanctuary of the BWE as our bastian of dignity and integrity.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Interesting about prosecutors Jim.

Corbin we still think is a traditional style St Emilion?

Despite the 2016 being somewhat homogeneous?

It was Howard who was snooping around with me at the back that saw that Rolland consults at Corbin.

Was it Annabelle who said we hired Rolland to show how unique are our wines? Or was that someone else?

Any my vote for the next video conference is 2010 Bordeaux since we have been discussing it so much lately.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

Comte Flaneur wrote:Interesting about prosecutors Jim.

Corbin we still think is a traditional style St Emilion?

Despite the 2016 being somewhat homogeneous?

It was Howard who was snooping around with me at the back that saw that Rolland consults at Corbin.

Was it Annabelle who said we hired Rolland to show how unique are our wines? Or was that someone else?

Any my vote for the next video conference is 2010 Bordeaux since we have been discussing it so much lately.
Yes Rolland is a consultant, but it is actually one of his acolytes who works with Annabelle. All his work is in the vineyard, never the tasting room etc. According to Annabelle, Rolland is incredibly useful in getting the vineyard to its best potential. As far as I know, Annabelle makes all the important decisions, including the all important time of harvest.

I have not tasted the 2016, but I thought a good job on the 2015s. Interesting that New Hampshire is stocking her wines.up to now I have been forced to buy from Sotheby’s, whose wine program both consumer and auction leave a lot to be desired.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes Mark I've been getting Corbin from New Hampshire for a number of years, as well as from MacArthur's.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Has anyone tasted the 2016 Chateau Peyrabon? Just wondering if it might be an option for an everyday wine at <$20.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

JimHow wrote:Yes Mark I've been getting Corbin from New Hampshire for a number of years, as well as from MacArthur's.
I called MacArthurs. They don’t have any on the website, but it was worth trying them since they can be wildly inaccurate. And so it proved.

A rather rude individual answered the phone, snarling “if it is not on the website, we don’t have it.” It turns out they did, the 2010, overpriced at $55.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

They still have some 15 and 16 in stock in NH, when they go on sale again I'll buy more.
They're a little overpriced at $45 but with the sale it comes down to $38.
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

Some more facts about Corbin:

1. Anabelle Cruse Bardinet was studying to be oenologist at wine university in Talence in Michel Rolland's class.

2. Since 2006 she's worked with Jean-Philippe Fort, who is one of the consultants associated with Michel Rolland.

3. Since last primer, she started to work with Jean-Luc Thunevin, to get more advertisement for her wine. Jean-Luc presented Corbin at his primeur tastings.

Yes, it's very stylish Saint-Emilion, elegant and with much finesse. I've heard that soil conditions at Corbin are more or less the same as Cheval Blanc's.

I love 2016 vintage of Corbin.
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

Yes, I met her in 1996 at Chateau Grand Corbin, my mistake as I had an appointment with her at Corbin.

At that time she worked together with her nephew Emmanuel at Certan Giraud, now Hosanna.

She purchased Corbin in 1999 and finished 1998 vintage (final adjustments).

Time goes by very quickly indeed!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes I really liked the 2016 Corbin as well, it is one of the richer Corbins I've had, great fruit.
I've been a fan of her wines.
She attended our 2000 tasting in NYC back around 2003, she was there with her relatives from d'Issan and Lagrange, i forget the relationship, one was Emanuel Cruse, right?
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Jimbo, put together a group offer for us. Marx and I are in!
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

Yes I'm in....and after I receive mine I am then turning around and shipping them off to Leve :D
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

I am definitely in. A case of each.

I hate to say it, but is still one of the few traditional Saint Emilions remaining. Worth savoring while we can.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Musigny 151 wrote:I am definitely in. A case of each.

I hate to say it, but is still one of the few traditional Saint Emilions remaining. Worth savoring while we can.

I had the '10 but can't recall how traditional it was...I just don't remember it being too memorable.

Good to hear there are some traditionalists left
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

JimH,

Anabelle's mother was Cruse, so Emmanuel Cruse from d'Issan, must be her grand uncle/uncle. Difficult to know exactly family connections.

2018 Corbin is a powerhouse and has 15% alcohol naturally raised of course. :lol:
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Mmmm can't wait to try that '18!
Timmy has some pictures from that dinner we did back in 2004 with the winemakers from Corbin, Lagrange, and d'Issan, can you post one or two Timmy?
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Though with Izak stating Corbin is stylish, has 15% alc. plus add that Rolland is the consultant...I am not sure if I would consider this a traditionalist style producer, unless I lost something in translation.

I'm probably not interested in this wine at this time, but seeing the emergence of OrlBobby's Napa leaning palate you can bet he is all in!! :lol:

Gooooulet
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Alfert is to Seinfeld as Rolland is to Newman....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k9_8YxDQYCo

Every time I find out yet another Chateau has flipped to the dark side, I say, “Rolland” in my Seinfeld voice.
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

robert goulet,

Corbin is 80% Merlot + 20% Cabernet Franc.

Despite the high alcohol, I couldn't taste it as it was packed in/masked/"eaten" by fat and luscious fruit. A perfectly balanced wine made from grapes picked at the perfect time. She's not practising late harvest and big extraction.

And as someone wrote earlier, Jean-Philippe Fort the consultant, advises only on things in the vineyard. In the cellar, it's Anabelle who has the last word to say.
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

Sweet Jesus, I gotta start drinking more chinon, the last Bastian of traditionalist hope.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

robert goulet wrote:

I had the '10 but can't recall how traditional it was...I just don't remember it being too memorable.

Good to hear there are some traditionalists left
The 2010s in Saint Emilion tended to be a little problematic, even traditionalists like Canon and Corbin struggled to keep alcohol levels in check. I would suggest going for other vintages. BTW, having done several verticals, I remember the 2006, and managed to buy a couple of cases. I am down to my last bottles, and it is still at a perfect maturity.

I know that 2018 is like 2010 is also high alcohol,so not surprised by the 15%.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Speaking of which, Mark, I have recently had an excellent 2004 Canon, and a lovely QPR, 2004 Corbin Michotte. Both classic profiles.
Claret

Post by Claret »

JimHow wrote:Mmmm can't wait to try that '18!
Timmy has some pictures from that dinner we did back in 2004 with the winemakers from Corbin, Lagrange, and d'Issan, can you post one or two Timmy?
I remember attending this event.
Glenn
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

greatbxfreak wrote:JimH,

Anabelle's mother was Cruse, so Emmanuel Cruse from d'Issan, must be her grand uncle/uncle. Difficult to know exactly family connections.

2018 Corbin is a powerhouse and has 15% alcohol naturally raised of course. :lol:
They refer to each other as cousins
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes that's right, I remember them referring to each other as cousins.
Timmy has a picture of us from that night, I'm pretty sure it must have been in 2004.
I remember they came back the next year in 2005 but I couldn't make it because my mother had just died.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

OrlandoRobert wrote:Speaking of which, Mark, I have recently had an excellent 2004 Canon, and a lovely QPR, 2004 Corbin Michotte. Both classic profiles.

OrlBobby must be cheating on me with another Marc...some imposter with the 'k' spelling....for these lips have never graced '04 Canon.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Marc, you ain’t that special! There is another Mark on this thread, granted, under a nom de plume. He only drinks the fancy schmancy stuff!