TN 2003 Ch. Potensac

AlohaArtakaHoundsong

TN 2003 Ch. Potensac

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Exceeds expectations.

On release I really thought this was similar to the Pontet Canet, not as polished and perhaps not quite as big but very similar in flavor spectrum. Like many wines from this vintage (and I guess others) subsequent bottles didn't stand up to the release experience, possibly it was in a closed phase. But this is drinking very well now, which is the good news. The bad news, for the terroiristas, is it is drinking like a nice mini-Super Tuscan. But that's OK because it went great with the one-pot vermicelli in anchovy sauce and I was actually looking for something rich and warm when I spotted this on the rack. Plenty of dark fruit, good flavor saturation and good acidity. I initially thought it might be corked, as the cork seemed dry and it separated, although both pieces came out clean. There was an odd note in the bouquet but the palate immediately refuted that and whatever it was blew off over the course of 30 minutes or so. Some people might not care for this--the ones who don't like the Lagrange (St. Julien) of that vintage, for example--but I found it enjoyable.
William P

Re: TN 2003 Ch. Potensac

Post by William P »

Thanks for the note Art.

Question, are you no longer on the Island?

Bill
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Nice note....I went thru a few of the ‘97’s and loved the old school classic profile
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I drank 10 of the '03s between 2015 and 2018. All were quite good.
AKR

Post by AKR »

I had one sort of within the release time frame, but don't remember it distinctly.

Anchovy sauce & vermicelli sounds ok.

Sometimes I sneak in a few filets of that into sauces when the kids aren't looking.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

William P wrote:Thanks for the note Art.

Question, are you no longer on the Island?

Bill
I'm in Colorado now. I sold my house there, but have a condo and am going to split my time. I was planning on going back to Hilo in August but I'm not sure that's going to happen.