Losing sense of smell from Covid-19

Musigny 151

Losing sense of smell from Covid-19

Post by Musigny 151 »

A couple of friends in the industry have said they contracted the virus, and one of the effects was lose sense of smell. They can still taste the basics, although a little less than normal. One has partially regained after three weeks, the other after the same period has seen no improvement.
DavidG

Re: Losing sense of smell from Covid-19

Post by DavidG »

My wife thinks she might have had it in late February. She had many of the symptoms, including greatly diminished taste and smell which still haven’t returned. We won’t really know until there’s a reliable and available serology test.

I hope your friends and my wife eventually regain their sense of smell..
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

One of my friends is a doctor and is on the front line, as well as being a keen wine collector. He is relatively sanguine, relatively being the operative word:

https://abvintners.co.uk/wp-content/upl ... urch-1.pdf
AKR

Post by AKR »

Comte Flaneur wrote:One of my friends is a doctor and is on the front line, as well as being a keen wine collector. He is relatively sanguine, relatively being the operative word:

Cool interview, and he has quite a way with words.
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

I have heard recommendations for taking Zinc to help ward off the virus (as well as the common cold.) I lost my sense of smell for a while when I took it years ago.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Comte Flaneur wrote:One of my friends is a doctor and is on the front line, as well as being a keen wine collector. He is relatively sanguine, relatively being the operative word:

Nice... Great diction and choice of words, just as your’s, Ian. Fun to read such well written articles...
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Ian,

Good read and can relate. We all have that moment or several where friends have introduced you to a wine that is that epiphany...at least if you have been lucky in life. Through University we dabbled with whites but never could understand reds mainly because we drank cheap crap that was gross then and I'm sure would be the same today. My first year in practice the group that I worked for in Windsor if at least nothing else introduced us to a few more drinkable reds that turned our opinion to start trying more. Nothing magical yet but at least on a plane with the whites that we were drink and our favourite at the time were Pouilly Fussé. It wasn't until the 90s that a good friend brought an 82 Jaboulet Domaine Thalabert to dinner. Nothing expensive but with about a dozen years of age we understood what age could bring. The next dinner was a step up with the Lachapelle 82 and we were hooked on our wine quest. Soon to come Italians that went by the wayside after a couple of years of experimenting in parallel with Bordeaux buying some from 95 on then progressively more on futures each year through to 2018. Problem was as you go along you buy by others recommendations and certainly influenced by Parker points along the way which may not have been the best approach. After years of filling the cellar there are no regrets except the ones that got away!! There are a lot of wines you discover too later in life and have now gotten too expensive to afford and age is fighting that ever ending battle to deter ongoing futures purchases at my age. It has been fun though and the best part has been meeting like minded people along the way and sharing some of the treasures that you've stowed away over the years as drinking a great bottle alone I'd imagine is not much fun. They are meant to be shared!!
Danny
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Tom,

At the start of this covid outbreak we started taking zinc and couldn't stand the metallic taste it leaves in your mouth. I lasted about two weeks and Danielle two days. Certainly a lot of unsubstantiated treatments have come along through this but nothing has really proven to help. Even this Remdesivir that they are now optimistic about takes your illness down from an average of 15 days to 11 days of being sick. No mention if these are ICU patients that would have otherwise died or what. I'm not sold yet.
Danny
AKR

Post by AKR »

We just got word last night that one my friend's FiL succombed to this cruel scythe a week or so ago. I think they were in a rural area too, presumably safe from the petri dish of subways and teeming big cities.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Arv - FiL - first in love?

I wish I could share Druin’s sunny view, and the Diamond Princess petri dish point is well taken, but the randomness of this virus is frightening, as is its seeming smartness, which plays into conspiracy theories.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Condolences Arv. (Ian, FIL = father-in-law).

Ian, I like the way your friend writes. fun read.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Is there a worst nightmare than losing smell and taste when you like wine? Hope your friends will get back to normal soon Musigny 151.

Good article on Mr. Burch.

Nic