Trivia questions from my wine cellar (and yours).

jal

Re: Trivia questions from my wine cellar (and yours).

Post by jal »

Comte Flaneur wrote:
jal wrote:Unfortunately, Ian, they're all Nuits St Georges Clos de la Maréchale
There was I thinking copious amounts of Amoureuses and Musigny...
Oh I wish, I used to buy these when the Musigny was $75 and the Amoureuses $60, and that was the 1996-2001 vintages. Probably the two best Burgundies I have ever drunk were the 2001 vintage of these. The prices for current releases are now about $1,200-$1,500 minimum. Absurd but I guess the demand is there.
So I'm settling for the Nuits Monopole which is excellent but obviously not in the same league by a wide margin.
Best

Jacques
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

OrlandoRobert wrote:
Blanquito wrote:Of my USA red wines only, Ridge is 44%, as I have 29 bottles of Ridge Chardonnay, Rose or dessert wine. I am not a fan of most American red wines, though I count myself a St Innocent man (and there are several other Oregon pinot noirs I quite happily buy, cellar and drink), and I really enjoy many Napa cabs from 1996 and older. Post-1996, the only cabernet I've bought from the USA is from Togni, Mount Eden, Forman, and of course Ridge.
I’m like Pat, Ridge and Bedrock make up about 80% of my meager US holdings, probably 80% of my cellar is French. These two wines scratch my Zinfandel itch, it’s a wine that pairs so well with hearty regular food like burgers or pizza. Ridge used to be the biggest holding in my entire collection but over the years I truly believe they increased their use of new American oak and my aversion to American oak got worse. I am down to buying Geyserville only and skipped the last 2 vintages. Bedrock is a thing, I buy a fair bit and its range is very broad, with Morgan snapping up historic mixed-fruit vineyards left and right. He will be a legendary producer, trust me.
Yeah, things have changed at Ridge since Draper retired or semi-retired. Ridge always has shown some American oak for my palate, but like old school Rioja, this usually integrates and at worst I don't mind it. But starting about 10 years ago, I decide to buy only Geyserville and various cabs (the Estate, Klein, Terraces, and Monte Bello) from Ridge's new releases and the Estate chardonnay which is great for $30-$35. I still backfill older stuff when I can, but those opportunities have become much rarer and pricier -- I won a two-bottle lot of the 1990 Jimsomare cabernet for $100 each recently, I won't go higher than that for these wines and only won it at that price due to a coronavirus discount...

I own a bottle of the 2013 Bedrock Evangelho, but I've yet to try any reds from them (ironically I am drinking their Chuy Chardonnay as I type). But this is some serious high praise you're giving here, I will move the Evangelho up in the drink now queue.
sdr

Post by sdr »

jal wrote:
Comte Flaneur wrote:
jal wrote:Unfortunately, Ian, they're all Nuits St Georges Clos de la Maréchale
There was I thinking copious amounts of Amoureuses and Musigny...
Oh I wish, I used to buy these when the Musigny was $75 and the Amoureuses $60, and that was the 1996-2001 vintages. Probably the two best Burgundies I have ever drunk were the 2001 vintage of these. The prices for current releases are now about $1,200-$1,500 minimum. Absurd but I guess the demand is there.
So I'm settling for the Nuits Monopole which is excellent but obviously not in the same league by a wide margin.
Ha, Jacques, you had much better luck than I did with Mugnier. After many disappointing to downright poor experiences, including the Moose and the Lady Lovers, from vintages such as 1996, 1999 and 2001, I sold them all. I bought them from B-21 at the prices you mention.

In fact, not long after that, I sold almost all of my red Burgs, even a couple of DRCs. Freed up a lot of funds to buy real wine, AKA Bordeaux.

Stu
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

With that last post, i hereby declare SdR the ultimate BWEer!

Nic
jal

Post by jal »

Good one Nic. Stu defends his title beautifully!
1997 Mugnier Musigny, from a "mediocre" year remains my red Burgundy epiphany. Heights that have not been reached since and I doubt will be reached again.
Best

Jacques
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Jackdaw's 1996 DRC Grands Echezeaux with Gio's tuna dish at the 18 course Thursday night dinner we had at NYC '03.

OMG.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

1990 DRC Richebourg, London 2018 = Viniferous nirvana.
tim

Post by tim »

Blanquito wrote:1990 DRC Richebourg, London 2018 = Viniferous nirvana.
Quite agree, that was an amazing wine.

It seems I've had more DRC in London than anyplace else. And always Ian involved in the dinner. Hmmm...
Dandersson

Post by Dandersson »

In my small cellar, Largest producer/estate has 10.9% of the volume. The make up is 43% Bordeaux, 80% French, of Bordeaux a 100/0 split between left and right bank. As it grows during the coming years I intend to increase the percentage of French's wines and keep 45-50% from Bordeaux.