TN : more Bojo

Nicklasss

TN : more Bojo

Post by Nicklasss »

This weekend, i continue to enjoy wines from the Beaujolais. Clearly fun for the price per bottle.

2017 Domaine Joubert Beaujolais Cuvée à l'Ancienne : made the most naturally possible, no sulfite addition, and cuvaison of 25 days (normally, cuvaison between 5 and 12 days for Beaujolais). Dark red wine, with a fresh acidic red cherries and rasberries. In mouth, very acidic for a wine (but i like that), with good mix of black pepper, earthy red fruits, rasberries, with a very light brett. Very good in the style, that will not please everybody (MC had more reserves). Tn: 87-88.

2016 Domaine Chignard Fleurie Les Moriers : medium red color, with a complex nose of geranium flower, concentrated cranberries, darkberries and light violet flowers. In mouth, aerial but with good presence of fruits (concentrated earthy cherries, dark berries) and also that mineral granite rock flavors. Medium acidity, not very long, but a fun wine with light tannins. Tn: 87.

What is very fun with these wines is their quaffability. Their low alcohol % of 12.5 make them attractive too. Of course, Gamay is unique and is very different than other red grapes.

Nic
Last edited by Nicklasss on Mon May 04, 2020 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoelD

Re: TN : more Bojo

Post by JoelD »

Seeing a lot of 87-89 on your tasting notes lately. What is your highest Beaujolais note you have done before?
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Good stuff, Nic. Do you have some favorite Bojo producers? The usual suspects like Lapierre and Foillard? What about Roilette, had there wines much before?
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

JoelD, i think it is a 2005 Foillard Morgon Côte du Py, that i rated 95, over some top Vins de Bourgogne.

By the way, a 87-89 rating is very good for me, i'm not looking necessarly at >90 points wines all the time. When I rated over 85, it is a wine that gave me pleasure. Will I ever rated a Bojo over 95? Who knows. It is true that I'm more in the 85-92 points area normally.

Blanquito, I will look for Roilette as i don't know that producer. For the producer, it depends what you look for. Foillard is great, but his wines deserve a wait of 5-7 years, concentrated and structured. Thivin is probably the best compromise between fruit and structure, excellent complex wines too. Lapierre wines, bizarrely, remind me Fonsalette... with lower alcohol.

Other i appreciate are Louis-Claude Desvignes, Antoine Sunier, Christophe Pacalet (lot of purple flowers and fruits).

But i'm happy to try new producers, and try them sometimes. I have to say that there are some producers selling their Bojo wine for more than 40-50 $us, i never tried their wines.

Nic
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Nick,

Roilette is one of the main classics. The fantastic Cuvee Tardive is a must. I have more Roilette than any other Beaujolais producer, part of that is it’s one of the longest lived and requiring perhaps the most maturation. It’s a very serious drink. I personally like Thivin more but can’t seem to keep my hands off of it! Both are must buys.

And I agree, an 87-89 rating is a B+. I’m happy to drink that any weekday with a simple meal. I’m happy if my kid gets those grades in college!
AKR

Post by AKR »

I'm not sure that quality/scores are the end all / be all with categories like BoJo. Its not being generally consumed in comparative panels. I don't think I've ever been to a tasting that featured the AOC. In fact it seems disproportionately rare to even see any, when all kinds of oddballs will make appearances.

What I like personally like about Beaujolais is that its different from most of the rest of the wines I consume. It's not heavy, concentrated, tannic, serious, impenetrable upon release etc.

Plus its going to get hot here, and this is lovely chilled, while sitting by the water.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Nicklasss wrote:JoelD, i think it is a 2005 Foillard Morgon Côte du Py, that i rated 95, over some top Vins de Bourgogne.

By the way, a 87-89 rating is very good for me, i'm not looking necessarly at >90 points wines all the time. When I rated over 85, it is a wine that gave me pleasure. Will I ever rated a Bojo over 95? Who knows. It is true that I'm more in the 85-92 points area normally.

Blanquito, I will look for Roilette as i don't know that producer. For the producer, it depends what you look for. Foillard is great, but his wines deserve a wait of 5-7 years, concentrated and structured. Thivin is probably the best compromise between fruit and structure, excellent complex wines too. Lapierre wines, bizarrely, remind me Fonsalette... with lower alcohol.

Other i appreciate are Louis-Claude Desvignes, Antoine Sunier, Christophe Pacalet (lot of purple flowers and fruits).

But i'm happy to try new producers, and try them sometimes. I have to say that there are some producers selling their Bojo wine for more than 40-50 $us, i never tried their wines.

Nic
I could get the general idea about your scores, and I score the same way. My highest score was 95 for the 1990 pichon baron, and a few others. So if the Foillard was a 95, what was the 1990 Conseillante? :)

PS. I just missed out on buying a 375ml of that :(
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Joel, this is the last time i think i had the 1990 La Conseillante, in Charlotte with Rob Dayton and Jim, at 2016 spring. As Jim pick me up in Nashville and drove 6 or 7 hours to Charlotte, i guess the bottle was a bit shocked, as I think it has been my least favorite bottle of that wine...

We decided to open my 1990 Chateau la Conseillante first. Even if Rob had some in his cellar, it was part of the deal that I had to bring one bottle, so Rob could open a 1990 Chateau Beauséjour Duffau. The Conseillante started so closed and tight...but evolved dramatically during the night, to become the strong fruity pruney exotic wine I had sample before. A tremendous wine to me. Tn: 95-96.

Nic
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Fun stuff. How was the Beausejour?

Also i need to get my hands on some of this Foillard. I love morgon cote de py in general. What other vintages have you loved besides the 05?
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I forgot that Domaine du Vissoux, is a great Bojo producer.

All wines in all aoc are excellent to great.

Nic
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

2017 Julien Sunier Régnié : clear red color, for that limited winemaking Gamay. Not 100 % clear. Nose of acidic cranberries, red berries, rasberries. Bramble, and some flowers too. Fresh and acidic red fruit flavors in mouth. Vine wood, granite rock minerals, more acidic cranberries. Light CO2. Light tannins. Natural wine. Tn: 88.

Nic
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

+1 on Vissoux

Solid across the entire platform and quite well priced.