What is your biggest score, missed opportunity?

JimHow

What is your biggest score, missed opportunity?

Post by JimHow »

The biggest score was probably also my biggest missed opportunity, when the guy at the Hampton North store in New Hampshire told me they had a full case of 1995 Petrus at the main Nashua store for $275 per bottle, I sped northbound, did a U-turn southbound to Nashua, watched as the woman cracked open the case and asked me: "How many do you want?" Just one, I said.

An honorable mention score, of course, was the epic 2002 heist at MacArthur's, Patrick and I were literally giggling with joy as the likes of Pichon Baron, Montrose, Calon Segur, etc., were going for like $29-39.

I remember walking through Central Park once with Roberto, I can't remember the year, but he had gone crazy buying Bordeaux and Burgundy and decided he was going to sell some off. He offered me a case of 1996 DRC Grands Echezeaux at $200 per bottle. I told him I was in but never followed up with him...
Blanquito

Re: What is your biggest score, missed opportunity?

Post by Blanquito »

Saw the 1989 and 1990 Montrose on the shelf in Rochester, NY in early 1995 for $28 and $44, respectively (not including a 15% case discount). I didn't know why the 1990 was so much more pricey, so I waited, and when I found out a few weeks later (AKA 100 Parker Points), the 1990 was gone! The 1989 was still on the shelf on the return visit, which I stupidly didn't buy in my 1990 disappointment.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

JimHow wrote:An honorable mention score, of course, was the epic 2002 heist at MacArthur's, Patrick and I were literally giggling with joy as the likes of Pichon Baron, Montrose, Calon Segur, etc., were going for like $29-39.
Yeah, that's way up there in my score department.
jal

Post by jal »

In 2002 I went into Sherry Lehmann and asked the guy there if he had any DRC, he said only the 1999 Echezeaux, he had 9 bottles he was selling them for $100 each. I took them all. Sherry Lehmann has not carried any DRC since to my knowledge.

Also the score of the 1997 Mouton at the Chicago Wine Company for less than $90, that was the first time I met Jim and he told me about that.

So many missed opportunities, 1996 Lafite for $100, all the 2004 First Growths for <$150 each, all the Grand Crus Burgundies in 2001, a vintage I loved at ridiculously low prices, I should have loaded the truck.
Best

Jacques
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

JimHow wrote:The biggest score was probably also my biggest missed opportunity, when the guy at the Hampton North store in New Hampshire told me they had a full case of 1995 Petrus at the main Nashua store for $275 per bottle, I sped northbound, did a U-turn southbound to Nashua, watched as the woman cracked open the case and asked me: "How many do you want?" Just one, I said.

An honorable mention score, of course, was the epic 2002 heist at MacArthur's, Patrick and I were literally giggling with joy as the likes of Pichon Baron, Montrose, Calon Segur, etc., were going for like $29-39.

I remember walking through Central Park once with Roberto, I can't remember the year, but he had gone crazy buying Bordeaux and Burgundy and decided he was going to sell some off. He offered me a case of 1996 DRC Grands Echezeaux at $200 per bottle. I told him I was in but never followed up with him...
When were all 3 situations approximately? Mostly just curious for context

I have yet to get any true steals like these since I have only been heavily into the game for a few years now.. However getting:
-2 cases of Pavie 2005 at $245 a bottle all in
-2.5 cases of Clos Fourtet 2003 at 80$ a bottle all in
-1 case of Dominus 2005 at $120 a bottle all in

Lots of random Napa, bordeaux and few burgs that have basically doubled in value from whatever deal I got them at.

PS. I am really enjoying these random thread topics the last couple days Jim.. keep em coming!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ha the Petrus incident would have been about summer 1998, Joel, when the 1995s hit the shelves in NH.
The Great 2002 Heist at MacArthur's wasn't that long ago, I want to say about 5 years ago? When was that, Patrick.
Winona, Stefan, and RobD were there as well, and Marcus cleaned up on it as well.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Hmmm...

Mixed case heist of 2002s, ranging from 29 to 39 from McArthur’s is my score.

Purchased just 4 bottles of 2010 Burlotto Monvigliero for 43 per. Should have bought more!! Last time I checked on winesearcher, the cheapest it was going for was 300 per...

My miss was trying to buy 2000 A Conterno gran bussia for around 70 dollars and the same vintage Romirasco version in 50s in 2012 or so from K&l. They couldn’t ship it to Indiana and was trying to find some arrangement. Lost precious time to pull the trigger and they were all gone...
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

JimHow wrote:Ha the Petrus incident would have been about summer 1998, Joel, when the 1995s hit the shelves in NH.
The Great 2002 Heist at MacArthur's wasn't that long ago, I want to say about 5 years ago? When was that, Patrick.
Winona, Stefan, and RobD were there as well, and Marcus cleaned up on it as well.
I wasn’t in DC Jim and it was on one of DC conventions. But I also helped clean it from across the country...
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

The real question is, with Wine-Searcher these days.. will there ever be steals like that again?
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

jal wrote: .

Also the score of the 1997 Mouton at the Chicago Wine Company for less than $90, that was the first time I met Jim and he told me about that.

Who was the English gentleman at TCWC, jal? I forgot his good name...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ha yes CV that 2002 heist was a crazy stroke of luck, we came from lunch at Black Salt to buy a couple bottles and I heard the guy say to Winona Chief: we just put out some 2002 Bordeaux on sale. It was crazy.

Yeah in the olden days there were epic prices, Joel, I got my case of 1996 Lafite for $180 per bottle at the Big Y in Springfield, Mass. They had cases and cases of it.

I got a 1993 DRC Echezeaux for $100 from Premier Cru, it was sublime.

1994 Margaux and Haut Brion at Martignetti's in the North End of Boston, they were going for like $50 but because I bought like 6 bottles of each the guy gave them to me for like $40.

And on and on....
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

First time I met Jacques and Arv I was with Whuzzup, we had a '97 Mouton in the back room for lunch at Le Bonne Soupe in midtown Manhattan.

That was the day Whuzzup sold me a 1988 DRC La Tache for $300.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

That must have been 2001, right Jacques and Arv, because Arv you were in Napa that following winter, the weekend of the infamous l'affaire de la pie de la whoopie....
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Chateau Vin wrote:

Simon.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Blanquito wrote:
Chateau Vin wrote:

Simon.
Oh yes, blanquito. Quite a nice guy...I wonder if he is still around...
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

If it doesn't have to be a store purchase, then the bottle of 1961 Latour I have has to be one of the best deals ever. My cost - a little over 2 hours of shop labor.
Next to that would be the 5 bottle '80s vertical of Margaux for $800 worth of labor.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yeah, that was a pretty epic score Chris.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I'm kinda counting on it setting the benchmark for all my other Bordeaux experiences.
fingers crossed.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Fun thread. I have to think about this one.

One that pops to mind is two cases of 2007 Ridge Lytton Springs. They were released in the height of the recession. Two local stores had the 750s at $20/per. One had 10% off a case purchase. I bought two cases of this crazy steal. I almost felt the same way about the stellar 2014 Lanessan at $20 Total Wine, but with the 20% off French wine coupon, I scored for $16. If I had more storage capacity, I would have bought 5x cases.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

Missed opportunities:

I went to a 1978 Chateauneuf tasting, and the two best wines there were Rayas and Vieux Telegraph. They were a point apart. The VT was about $13, the Rayas was $24. I bought a case and a half of VT, and one bottle of Rayas.

I was at Rene Rostaing’s winery around the time his uncle, Gentaz Dervieux was selling him the property. That day, he had come to see his nephew, and we started talking. He was saying that for most of his adult life, they could not sell the wines, so the hill was also planted with peach and almond trees.

He was anxious to get rid of some of his remaining wines, and asked me if I was interested. I had several appointments that day, so dumb dumb didn’t go, or make an appointment to see him next day. He is now a cult, and I am pretty sure I could have paid for my son’s college, if I had gone.

Best Buy.

Perhaps getting several cases of Cecile Tremblay’s wines before she became famous, and her grand crus topped $1000 a bottle. I think I paid just over $100.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

My Best Buy is probably Marcel Juge. I have about 3 cases plus 3 mags. My highest price is $55 per. They now go for $350-$500. I will never sell them. Hard to imagine a wine that is more Alfert than this, perhaps just Sociando.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

JimHow wrote:The Great 2002 Heist at MacArthur's wasn't that long ago, I want to say about 5 years ago? When was that, Patrick... Winona, Stefan, and RobD were there as well, and Marcus cleaned up on it as well.
That was March 2016 during a DC BWE Convention. You were at MacArthurs both days, I only made it on day 2, but fortunately for us they had put a bunch more of the 02s out on the floor as you guys had cleared out most of the first wave on day 1.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

My greatest score was probably the 86 Gruaud Larose for $22 after a mixed case discount. I bought 6 of these in 1995 for that princely sum. Gonon St Joe probably counts for something as I bought them when they were $35, and sold them when they were $150.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

The 1995 Bordeaux future in Québec were at the lowest prices in the World (110 $usd for 1st Growth) but i was too new in wine.

In the early days of BWE, the 1988 were very cheap in the US. I did not bought enough. Example, i bought only one bottle of 1988 Haut Brion at 170 $usd in 2003...

In 2002, in Indianapolis, Whuzzup_ working at Kahn offered us a 1975 Yquem for 200 or 250 $. I bought a 1999 Mouton Rothschild at 120 $ because MC liked the label. We opened it the same day.

My two best ever deals: 2002 Chateau Talbot at 22$ per bottles. And in 2012, in a obscure wine store in NY State, 6 bottles of 1978 (great vintage in Bourgogne) of Doudet-Naudin Pernand-Vergelesses 1er Cru for 19.95 $ per bottle. The 6 bottles were all awesome!

Nic
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Pat why did you sell the Gonon? I have tons of it, great stuff. Just had the Iles Feray last night and finished the remainder tonight.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Biggest miss: Buying stocks instead of every bottle of Musigny I could find.

Biggest hit: Buying the remainder of Sir Derek Barton's wine collection when his widow told a painter to cart off the fridge holding it and dump the wine that was in the fridge.
Last edited by stefan on Tue May 05, 2020 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
tim

Post by tim »

Biggest score: 99 Lafleur being sold at the PA state stores for $53 a bottle. I had my sister running around to different state stores to buy them. I still have one bottle left from this one.

Biggest miss: 00 Lafleur at the same sale, for around $110 a bottle.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Regarding TCWC - Simon is still there.
William P

Post by William P »

Biggest score - 18 bottles of 2003 Pontet Canet for about $35.00 per. It was one of the few large purchases that I could explore a wine from release to old age and not feel guilty. The other was a 1972 Pichon Lalande purchased at my local San Francisco neighborhood wine store in 1976 for around $4.50 a bottle. My first case purchase after marriage. It also explains my wife's loves of Pichon. It was not a great wine but worth the price. For the record in 1976, I didn't know what a great wine was and some might argue, I still don't.

Bill
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

My biggest scores were '80s Rhones from Premier Cru in about 2009. 8 bottles of '83 Gentaz for $90 each. Loads of '83, '88 and '89 Verset and Clape Cornas for $50-$75 each. I've drunk almost all of them now, and they were fantastic. Go check out how much an '83 Gentaz is worth now.

Biggest misses - just about any '99 Grand Cru Burgundy
sdr

Post by sdr »

Biggest score = ‘82 Pétrus @$185 from Zachys (1986).

But since it turned out to be very disappointing, I recently sold the last bottle for 1890% ROI.

Stu
stefan

Post by stefan »

Nice, Stuart. Probably the proceeds covered a midweek dinner for you and Kathy.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

SF Ed wrote:My biggest scores were '80s Rhones from Premier Cru in about 2009. 8 bottles of '83 Gentaz for $90 each. Loads of '83, '88 and '89 Verset and Clape Cornas for $50-$75 each. I've drunk almost all of them now, and they were fantastic. Go check out how much an '83 Gentaz is worth now.

Mindblowing. Some of the greatest wines right there!
tim

Post by tim »

I must admit I had quite a few scores at Premier Cru (also lost a bunch in the bankruptcy and fraud). Lots of older California Cabs in particular.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Tim, I wish that my PC losses were mostly CA cult wines.
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

In a Ponzi scheme like Premier Cru, the early entrants often do quite well. I was a big net winner through the years with Premier Cru. I had a good relationship with the folks on the floor, got phone calls when interesting cellars came in, and had almost nothing on pre-arrival when the music stopped.

I'm glad Fox went to jail and I feel sorry for all the people who got ripped off, but I got a lot of great wine at great prices before the merry-go-round stopped.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

A few big scores:

In spring of 1992 in my first visit to NYC I saw some DRC in the window of a small shop in Greenwich Village, the bottles were in poor condition. The proprietor agreed to sell me his bottle of 1985 La Tache for $200 and said the 1985 Romanée Conti was not for sale. I said I would come back later, I did and he sold it to me for $400. I drank it on New Year’s Eve 1999 and it was magical, the La Tache likewise ten years later.

I bought three bottles of 1990 Le Pin in 1992 from Berry Bros for £98 a bottle later the same year, also bottles of 1982 Cheval Blanc at the same price. I still have one of each left.

In 2012 MEK, I and another friend shared in a case of each of Noel Verset Cornas 1998 and 1999 - eight bottles each - averaging £29 a bottle from an Oxbridge College. These now sell for £600 each if you can find them.

Misses:

In 1993 I turned down a case of Ch. Margaux 1985 for £295

Several years ago, I can’t remember exactly when, I passed up the opportunity to buy a six pack of 1990 La Tache at £295 per. What an idiot I am!

More broadly my biggest regret is not loading up on great GC red burgundy, especially Rousseau, when I had the opportunity in the mid-2000s and my instincts told me I should do it.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

OrlandoRobert wrote:
SF Ed wrote:My biggest scores were '80s Rhones from Premier Cru in about 2009. 8 bottles of '83 Gentaz for $90 each. Loads of '83, '88 and '89 Verset and Clape Cornas for $50-$75 each. I've drunk almost all of them now, and they were fantastic. Go check out how much an '83 Gentaz is worth now.

Yes and still needing at least one Blanquito, many of them are simply not ready.

One score I neglected to mention was a mixed case of 1999 GC Ponsot, which includes six CdlR and six other GCs, which I purchased for £679 on release. I am not even thinking of releasing that case, but I do plan to drink them unless I fall on hard times.

I also have six packs of Le Pin 98 and 99 in storage for which I think I paid £1500 each. Probably end up putting them towards my retirement fund.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

Comte Flaneur wrote:
OrlandoRobert wrote:

Yes and still needing at least one Blanquito, many of them are simply not ready.

One score I neglected to mention was a mixed case of 1999 GC Ponsot, which includes six CdlR and six other GCs, which I purchased for £679 on release. I am not even thinking of releasing that case, but I do plan to drink them unless I fall on hard times.

I also have six packs of Le Pin 98 and 99 in storage for which I think I paid £1500 each. Probably end up putting them towards my retirement fund.
I bought some of those mixed cases of Ponsot at auction for around $2400. It was amazing how long it took for people to figure out that the six bottles of CLos de la Roche were worth the $2400, and you were getting the non CDR for free. BTW, those CDRs are brilliant but still a decade away from full maturity.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

What is your favourite vintage of Ponsot CDLR Mark? My most memorable bottle was an 85 drank in the old Millesimes restaurant in Gevrey Chambertin.