potensac v le crock 05

rjsussex

potensac v le crock 05

Post by rjsussex »

Bought the Potensac 05 in a sale this week (2 cs at £11.50 a pop) and put the first bottle against the Le Crock (St Estephe - owned by Poyferre) which I haven't been particularly impressed by so far. On the other hand Potensac 03 was such a let down that I had vaguely decided to buy the property no more, especially as prices have been climbing. (The 05 opened at c£14 or more.)

Guess which was easily the better wine? Much more classy nose, real concentration and bunched-dry essence of opulent-tight fruit, long dry finish, serious tannin - real old style claret, surely minor-classed growth in quality, at least. Very reminiscent of Soc Mallet - so I would say this is a definitive BWE style wine.

Yes, the Potensac. Very easily the best Potensac for me (I have the 2000 and that for me has been rather glum and four-square - far less classy), and from the 70s onwards I used to buy it every year. 13.5% but not a trace of heavy-handed wine making.

The Le Crock, as before, was perfectly decent but more open-knit, even a touch soupy, a more commercial style. I would have said more Merlot in the blend than the Potensac but I think it's the opposite - 30% Merlot in the Crock (back label) and I think I read that Potensac has been over the years increasing the proportion of Merlot in their large vineyard holdings. But the Potensac tasted more classic Cabernet - perhaps it was more subtle and classier oak (from Lascases?).

I expect there are many positive notes about the Pot 05 on this board and elsewhere, so sorry to be rather late but this is very, very good wine and among the best values ever for me.

Richard
William P

Re: potensac v le crock 05

Post by William P »

Thanks Richard, I am a fan of Potensac. I thought they did a nice job in 2000. Didn't buy in 2003 or 2004. I have not seen it locally in a while. If I see a store sale somewhere, I will purchase 1/2 case.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Well, I know I should give Potensac another try, but I cannot forgive the estate for a case of 12 corked wines 20 years ago.

stefan
daramg

Post by daramg »

Cool. My friend gave me a mag of 05 Potensac when I gave him a btl of Saxum.

I remember 2001 Potensac to be one of the more impressive wine I drank. I bought it for $13 at K&L and had it few years back. The first day, it was just a simple young Bordeaux. However, the second day, the wine completely changed and it was giving me aroma, body and finish that I have never felt before in a young wine and realized the magic of Bordeaux. I had other 2001 Potensac and other vintages since then and never got to taste the same. (maybe i drank too quickly...)
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

I loved the '01 Potensac. I'll have to try the '05. I think bottle variation and corked bottles are a problem at Potensac. I liked the '03, as a matter of fact, in the context of the vintage. Very modern, but still on the Bordeaux side.
-Chris
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Don't think I've ever had this one. Sounds like a good value.

Stefan, you had a whole case of corked bottles? Did they have a systemic problem at the winery?
stefan

Post by stefan »

I dunno, David. This was a long time ago, before the internet made it easy to check out such things.

stefan
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Did you get stuck for the whole case or were you able to return them? I've found some retailers less amenable than others to returns when it's been a few years. Less of an issue with US wines - the wineries usually seem willing to replace defective bottles.
stefan

Post by stefan »

I was stuck with them, David. Fortunately, it was a cheap case.

stefan
AKR

Post by AKR »

William P wrote:Thanks Richard, I am a fan of Potensac. I thought they did a nice job in 2000. Didn't buy in 2003 or 2004. I have not seen it locally in a while. If I see a store sale somewhere, I will purchase 1/2 case.
A bottle of the 2000 Potensac tonight with a chuck roast was very curranty, very cassisy. So much fleshier and enjoyable today than it was in its stern youth. It's hard to believe in some ways.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

1997 Potensac was a gem
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

robert goulet wrote:1997 Potensac was a gem
I have heard (and tasted) that of Poujeaux but not Potensac.
brodway

Post by brodway »

Robert...

had a 1997 Petit Cheval recently and also thought it was an absolute gem...