TNs: Chianti Classico from Felsina and Rodano

Ramon_NYC

TNs: Chianti Classico from Felsina and Rodano

Post by Ramon_NYC »

2006 Felsina Berardenga Chianti Classico
Black plum in color. On the palate - some cherries, other red fruit, just slightly sweet and soft tannin, lively acidity, did not discern much oak, some earthiness, specks of pepper. A good food wine with chewy, lip-smacking finish. Bought for about $18 at a local store. A-

2004 Rodano Chianti Classico
Ripe, lot’s of fruit, still tannic, somewhat raisiny, some creaminess yet earthy. Not as impressive as the slightly higher-priced Felsina Berardenga. B
Chasse-Spleen

Re: TNs: Chianti Classico from Felsina and Rodano

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Nice notes, Ramon. I'll have to try the 2006 Felsina, sounds like a winner. I liked the '04 Rodano for its leathery, earthy aspects. It has a little age, which shows. If you are shopping at Garnet, they almost always have some older vintages of Rodano's riserva, at this point it's the '01. The '99 was really nice.
-Chris
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

As we've been talking about Chianti's getting lots of BWE love these days. And deservedly so.

For me, the best CC for the money right now is the Rodano CCR Viacosta 2001 for $26 at PJs right now. I just grabbed 6 more of this terrific wine. It has enough fruit to drink solo but great acidity for food too.

So thanks for the notes, Ramon. I also bought a 2006 Felaina, so that will be fun to try when I get back to Colorado.
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

That's the exact wine that I'm talking about. I've never tried the 2001, but the '99 was great. A great value. I first tried it at Otto, and at $50 it was an excellent value for a restaurant wine. Really elegant and velvety. Nice to be able to get it for half of that. Definitely a different style from the more full bodied and robust modern Chiantis. A little bit like a good Volnay.
-Chris
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

By chance I bought a bottle in NH the other day, I'll give it a try later this week. Thanks for the report, Ramon.
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

I found the Chianti Classico fun to drink lately, especially with the sort-of milder summer that we've been having. Also enjoying them, not only with pasta, but with bar-b-que'd stuff.

Thanks for the tips and I'll be looking out for that 01 Rodano.
rjsussex

Post by rjsussex »

I've been tempted by the Rodano Viacosta 01 (about £17 in UK) but have noticed that it's 14% alcohol. If that was claret I'd be worried and wouldn't buy. Is it balanced, not too heady, hot?

Thanks for notes. I used to buy Felsina regularly many years ago and nicknamed it 'Bernard Ingham', after Thatcher's bulldog press secretary.

Richard
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

Well, I bit and accepted delivery of a few bottles of the 01 Rodano Viacosta (just like Blanquito wrote, $26 at PJ's). I'll post as soon as I'm able to consume.

Also, got a couple of the 2005 vintage of the Felsina CC to try out. I hope this bulldog doesn't disappoint.
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

2005 Chianti are great for drinking now. Slightly lighter but lots of charm.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I didn't find the 2001 Rodano Viacosta too high in alcohol. It was pretty classic CC, bright in style from acids but with sufficient fruit to balance the wine. For the money, a great chianti.

Looking forward to your note on this one, Ramon.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Had that '06 Felsina the other night, nice call, Ramon, I'm getting more.
Gonna try that '01 Rodano too.
PappaDoc

Post by PappaDoc »

In late winter/early spring, I took Jackdaw and his Mrs to a Polaner Tasting. The 01 Rodano Viacosta made one of the biggest impressions on me that day. I tasted many wines at this event that were better (and more expensive), what knocked me out was the similarity to a top Graves like La Mission Haut Brion. It had all the Grave hallmarks, scorched earth, leather, roasted sweet black fruit, with iron and minerals aplenty in the long finish.

I bought a btl a month later and was delighted to find the same qualities. It is undoubtably one on the best values in Tuscan wines. Pjs price is fantastic.

On an aside I was schocked at the price increases at Garnet. I have been buying wine at Garnet since 1981. For years they were my favorite NY store.They never gave discounts in the past but had discount prices. I thought about buying a 2004 Fichet "Chevalier" but stopped at the $65.00 price tag. I checked many other Italian and White Burgundies and was saddend by the high prices. For the first time in hundreds of visits to Garnet, I walked out without a single btl. They have a 10% discount if you get the postcard, but 10% off is still too high for me. Although I'm sure they do have some wines at great prices, I didn't see any that day.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Okay, you guys sold me on the '01 Rodano, I just ordered six.
rjsussex

Post by rjsussex »

In the UK one retailer (perhaps the importer?) has sold out of the Rodarno Riserva 01 and is now on the 04 - which should be even better?

Will try it.

Thanks for the replies about the 01's balance and quality etc.

Richard
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Of course the '04 is better - they have more of it to sell ;)
rjsussex

Post by rjsussex »

Just bought 6 of the 04 from the UK importer for £17 each - sounds like good value. Will post.

Richard
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Looking forward to your notes on the '04. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they're great. I really liked the '04 CC. But I really enjoyed a lot of '01 Chianti. I think the style was a little more classic, tighter wound. The '04s may be a little more fleshy, which a lot of people will like. I loved the '01 from Monsanto. But the later vintages did less for me.
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

I also recently had the 2005 CC Riserva Monsanto which I thought was quite good and had that classic/traditional taste to it. I will have to try that 01 Monsanto, if I ever find one that is reasonably priced.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I bought some more of the 2001 Rodano Chianti Classico Riserva Viacosta, had a second bottle and really liked it, thanks for the tip blanquito.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I'm glad you liked it, Jim. I've got a case and the beauty is, this one drinks well today and for the next 10 years.