Anyone cooking for Mothers Day?

Gerry M.

Anyone cooking for Mothers Day?

Post by Gerry M. »

My wife is a front line nurse dealing with Covid 19 and she's been self-isolating from the family for quite a while now. I thought she deserved a favorite meal for her day.

Starter of 2008 Dom Perignon with just some simple Jasper
Hill Farm cheeses.

Main course of Penne with braised short ribs with a 2016 Conterno Fantino Langhe Nebbiolo.

Dessert is chocolate molten cake with a raspberry coulis and vanilla ice cream along with a 2015 Donnafugata Ben Rye.

I really hope I don't mess it up, lol
Last edited by Gerry M. on Mon May 11, 2020 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
stefan

Re: Anyone cooking for Mothers Day?

Post by stefan »

Sounds great, Gerry. Our children's mother is cooking dinner because she wants to eat well and we are not going out due to Covid-19. We'll have a zoom cocktail hour with our kids and grandkids at which we'll probably drink 2009 Pol Roger. For dinner we'll have 1982 La Lagune; our third bottle of this outstanding vintage in the last few months. Lucie always forgives me for not being a cook when I serve her La Lagune.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Nice Gerry! I treated my wife to breakfast in bed this morning. My version of eggs Benedict but no Hollandaise, some fresh fruit, toast and coffee. Our daughter came over with her dog for a couple of hours for a masked, socially distant Mother’s Day get together. I’ll probably cook something simple for dinner and pop a bottle of Champagne. Pasta or a frozen pizza. Maybe a NV Billecart Salmon Rosé.

I love that Stefan's response in a thread about food for Mother's Day lists 2 bottles of wine and no food. a true BWE!
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Very nice Gerry.

We're doing seafood (shrimps and scallops) pasta. Should we drink Champagne with it? I guess it could match well. If not, Puligny-Montrachet or Soave.

Nic
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

During these times I glad my mom gave me the cooking basics. Its good to see others cooking up some exciting culinary dishes. We know how much effort it takes but I love to do it when time allows. The meal turned out great except for the molten cakes were slightly under done. Nothing that extra raspberry coulis, powdered sugar and vanilla ice cream couldn't hide.

The 2008 Dom lived up to its reputation. The 2016 Fantino Nebbilo opened up nicely over a couple of hours and represented the vintage well. The Ben Rye was a nice alternative to Port in matching with the dessert., viscous, semi-sweet with a huge apricot palate.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Pounded Murray’s chicken cutlet Milanese.
And a 2006 Ciacci Piccolomini Pianrosso BdM
And a 2006 Ciacci Piccolomini Pianrosso BdM
469CA87F-5B59-4E97-9954-AC04AE58F86B.jpeg (42.67 KiB) Viewed 1129 times
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

Very nice!:
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I made Cassoulet yesterday. It was my first attempt.
Even though it was hardly an unqualified success, it was slightly better than the wine.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Cassoulet is a lot of work. But when it turns out right, it is almost magical. Hopefully you will try again with a better result.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

Racer Chris wrote:I made Cassoulet yesterday. It was my first attempt.
Even though it was hardly an unqualified success, it was slightly better than the wine.
D’Artagnan has a pretty good kit.

There are plenty of arguments as to what should be in it, much of it centering around lamb. I like lamb, so I added some pieces of leg, and a very non cassoulet Merguez sausage. I think both are worthwhile additions.

My dwindling collection of Tempier Bandols are the perfect match.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

jckba wrote:Pounded Murray’s chicken cutlet Milanese.
469CA87F-5B59-4E97-9954-AC04AE58F86B.jpeg
A man of taste. I did the same.
stefan

Post by stefan »

David, for food we had pistachios, cheese, pasta salad, and chicken pate, all prepared by Lucie.

The 2009 Pol Roger has improved a lot in the last six months. It is on a par with 2008 Bollinger, I think.

The cork on the bottle of 1982 La Lagune was pushed in a bit and was soaked through. Even using a Durand I managed to break the end of the cork. Fortunately, I was able to extract it without having it fall into the bottle. The wine had a lovely fragrance and the taste was good, but this bottle was much more evolved than the previous two we drank (one being the outstanding bottle Jacques brought to Fort Lauderdale).
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

JCNorthway wrote:Cassoulet is a lot of work. But when it turns out right, it is almost magical. Hopefully you will try again with a better result.
It was a meal I remember my mom making when I was a child so I wanted to try it on Mother's Day.
The preparation was mostly good, although I reduced the broth too much, which caused it to tighten up more than it should have in the oven. The flavor was excellent at least.
The cured meats were fine, however the fresh meats were neither traditional nor to our normal preference - so I should have just gone with what I knew we would both enjoy.
I will almost certainly make it again, modified to suit our palates.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Racer Chris wrote:I made Cassoulet yesterday. It was my first attempt.
I haven't made it in a while but

https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/vi ... 9#p2592842
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Syrah seems like it would make for a good pairing.
Michael Malinoski

Post by Michael Malinoski »

Sounds like a worthy meal, Gerry! I just cooked some Mediterranean-influenced shrimp and pasta (sun-dried tomatos, red peppers, capers, olives, wine, garlic), while the girls prepared an amazing chocolate cake. I wish I had thought to do one of those Ben Ryes with the cake, that would have been a really nice pairing. Next time!

-Michael
AKR

Post by AKR »

jckba wrote:Pounded Murray’s chicken cutlet Milanese.
469CA87F-5B59-4E97-9954-AC04AE58F86B.jpeg
With all the modern dairy practices (artifical spun insem) there is so little veal produced nowadays and I find it hard to find veal. Nowadays it all comes vacuum packed, from who knows how long ago slaughter date.

I guess chicken milanese / pork cutlet milanese is the new normal. We made a variant of this with a piccatta sauce the other night. Kids love any excuse to get out the meat pounder (please no hitting each other, or pets...)
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

You're talented guys. Nice meal that you cook there.

Nic