TN: 1989 Pichon Lalande

JCNorthway

TN: 1989 Pichon Lalande

Post by JCNorthway »

Sad to miss yesterday's Zoom meeting, but I was working busily with Paula preparing an anniversary celebration dinner. Yesterday was 31 years, so I pulled the last of my 1989 Pichon Lalande 750s (One mag remains) to go with dinner. We prepared 4 dishes out of Melissa Clark's new book, "Dinner in French." The biggest challenge was that 3 of the dishes involved cooking in the oven at 3 different temperatures, so a few timing adjustments needed to be made.

Anyway, the wine. The fill was still mid-high neck. The cork came out just fine; it was stained about half way up, but it was quite solid, so I was not overly concerned. Upon opening, I poured a small taste. It was about as I would expect for a wine of that age - clearly mature, so I thought I would not decant. Paula tasted it and declared she did not care for it. When I asked why, she said it was musty and the finish was short. So I decided to decant for about an hour before dinner. I offered her a taste to see if she felt any differently (and had another bottle of a Rhone if she wanted it). She said it was much better! The miracle of exposure to air. Indeed the nose had opened significantly, the fruit on the palate was fuller, and the finish was much longer. It turned out to be a lovely wine, and was in a really good place. I think it will last a few more years, but I'm not confident that it will improve beyond where it is now. This wine was 93-94 points for me this time.
stefan

Re: TN: 1989 Pichon Lalande

Post by stefan »

Happy anniversary, newlyweds!
Claret

Post by Claret »

A classic PL.
Glenn
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Happy anniversary!
Dandersson

Post by Dandersson »

Happy Anniversary! Glad you enjoyed the Pichon Lalande 89.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Nicely done and fully agree with the needing aeration aspect.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Happy anniversary John and Paula. Glad you had a nice time and that you're still a great couple, even a great team with that 1989 Chateau Pichon Lalande, about decanting time! Last time i had the 1989 Pichon Lalande, it was in Sf in a Thirsday night dinner, blind againt the 89 Purple Baron and the 89 Poor Man Mouton. It was holding very well the two other great fighters.

Marie-Claude and me are celebrating our 25 years together exactly today. We started dating seriously the May 17th 1995! We also had a nice meal, but last night (foie gras with Champagne, and elk tartare with 2010 Chateau Gloria).

See you soon.

Nic
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

Happy anniversary! 1989 is our year also and it will be in October. The 89' Pichon Lalande has been one our favorite go-to bottles over the years to celebrate but I suspect it will crest over on to a slow down slope soon. Its nice to read it is still pleasurable. I have only 2 750's left and don't think I'll be backfilling anymore. It will be time to move onto the 89' Lynch-Bages :)
sdr

Post by sdr »

Nicklasss wrote:We also had a nice meal, but last night (foie gras with Champagne, and elk tartare
Nic
They eat a lot differently in the Canadian forest

Stu

Congratulations to you both for the anniversary.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Happy Anniversary Jon and Paula. Some good wines in 1989, and some good marriages too!