Did I miss this here?

jckba

Re: Did I miss this here?

Post by jckba »

Very interesting and that is big news and I wonder if his departure will change the wine in any shape, way or form?
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I remember vividly chatting to him when we visited in 2015 and asked him if he was OK with Rolland being a consultant and he just rolled his eyes in exasperation. Sad to see him leave. On the face of it is bad news but Rolland is the same age as Parker (73) so surely should be about to hang up his boots?

The other sad news this weekend was that Denis Durantou of L'Eglise Clinet died. He was only 63 years old. I never met him.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Very sad about Mr. Durantou, at only 63 years old.

For Mr. Comme, he is surely the main contributor to Pontet Canet glorious ascension. He was very interesting during our visit there in 2015, type of quiet man, but full of conviction and very efficient I guess.

Nic
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Pontet Canet was a religous experience for him, I wonder what the reason is for the departure.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Is this the man to blame for Pontet-Stepford?
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Did we meet Denis Dourantou in 2005?
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Tom,

Yes we were at l'Eglise Clinet and had a cellar tour and tasting. Here he was back then and some of toured the crypts out back with a glass in hand. Terrible news...my age unfortunately!!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qrSsMUa3gvcpgkch8
Danny
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Nice pictures dstgolf.

How was Mr. Durantou in 2005?

Personally, the most interesting winemaker i met in my life, up to now, is Mr. Jean-Paul Jamet in Côte Rôtie.

Nic
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Nic,

M Durantou unfortunately didn't speak any or very poor English and spent most if not all of the time in French which for the non Francophones made the visit difficult even with Alex interpreting. What was most striking that I remember on this and through many of our visits how each Chateau expounded about their own techniques in wine making. If I recall there were concrete vats in the maceration area and the place wasn't that clean but the proof is in the pudding I guess. The man himself was very charming and a simple farmer at heart like many owners. I'm not sure what the transition will be on his sudden departure at such a young age.
Danny