Two Carillon Puligny Perrières 9 years apart

jal

Two Carillon Puligny Perrières 9 years apart

Post by jal »

We celebrated the birth of our friends' first grandson yesterday. We had spinach balls, grilled brick chicken, roast potatoes and sugar snap peas.
We started with Krug Grande Cuvée # 167; delicious as always, good backbone, bright, fine mousse and vibrant with a lovely finish. An amazing Champagne. 95
We then continued with side by side:
2008 Louis Carillon Puligny Perrières 1er cru
2017 Jacques Carillon Puligny Perrières 1er cru
And they are both wonderful;
The 2008 has a slightly darker yellow color, a great nose of honeysuckle and pears, is more round, resolved, with amazing complexity, the acidity is almost non-existent, but the structure is sound, and the finish is long. 94
The 2017 is more pale but has a very similar nose of honeysuckle and pears. It is tense and more acidic. It takes about 20 minutes to calm down and then it becomes more expansive and eerily similar to its older sibling. 94 as well.
Both wines are great with lovely minerality, I'd say the 2008 is at its plateau and the 2017 needs a few years to mature.
When we visited Jacques Carillon he said he was responsible for producing the Perrières for his father and one could tell in how similar teh two wines are.
Best

Jacques
Claret

Re: Two Carillon Puligny Perrières 9 years apart

Post by Claret »

Nice. I enjoyed the 96 version and an empty sits on my Wall of Fame.
Glenn
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Very nice report Jacques.

And I'm amazed that you drink more Puligny Pucelles in one night, than me in 5 years! On my Bourgogne rage at the moment, maybe a good time to buy some.

Nic
sdr

Post by sdr »

Nice, Jacques.

I had my first ‘17 WB a few days ago and was suitably impressed - Sauzet Referts. As it warmed up a bit it displayed some of that earthy Chassagne character I like even though it is Puligny. I should hunt down some J. Carillon

Stu
stefan

Post by stefan »

Carillon is great, Stuart, as Jacques said. If you lean toward Chassagne you should like Carillon Puligny when it is still a preteen.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

White burg prices are insanity right now. I got the 16 J Carillon Puligny single vineyards in the $80’s, but the cheapest now for the 17 and 18s seems to be like $115-$120. Same seems to be true for Niellon and PYCM. WTF? These were expensive to begin with, why the run up? Tariffs?
jal

Post by jal »

The three tier distribution system and tariffs?
The 2018 Jacques Carillon Puligny 1er Crus retail for €65 in France so around $75. Add 20% VAT and we’re at $90
Nowhere near the $135-150 I see on Wine-Searcher
Obviously I’m comparing retailer to retailer
Best

Jacques
sdr

Post by sdr »

So is Jacques a better winemaker than brother François? Or is it the other way around? Or does it depend on the vineyard?

Things were easier when Dad Louis made them all.

Stu
jal

Post by jal »

sdr wrote:So is Jacques a better winemaker than brother François?

Stu
Stu,

Conventional wisdom that I agree with: Jacques makes the better wines

Jacques was also making them for Louis.

Now whether his wines are better because Jacques got the better vineyards/parcels or because he's the better winemaker, I don't know and honestly I don't think it matters. As long as the wines are better.

I have tasted François' wines in 2014 and 2015. His 2014 were good but it was easy to make a good wine in a great vintage such as 2014. OTOH his 2015 Folatieres was flabby whereas Jacques' 2015 1ers, even in the context of the vintage, were all excellent. I have not tasted wines by François after the 2015 vintage.

And to close,we had a 2017 Jacques Carillon Puligny Village Friday that was fantastic. Better than a lot of 1er cru Puligny that I've had.
Best

Jacques
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I’ll second the enthusiasm for J. Carillon's 2017 Puligny village.
sdr

Post by sdr »

jal wrote:
sdr wrote:So is Jacques a better winemaker than brother François?

Stu
Stu,

Conventional wisdom that I agree with: Jacques makes the better wines
Yeah, too bad B-21 only carries the François “Just Don’t Call Me Fredo” versions.

Stu