TN: 2017 Domaine Auguste Clape Le Vin des Amis

jal

TN: 2017 Domaine Auguste Clape Le Vin des Amis

Post by jal »

• 2017 Domaine Auguste Clape Le Vin des Amis - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Vin de Pays (6/3/2020)
    With a bean stew we drank this 100% Syrah from vineyards between Cornas and the village, the color is dark purple, the olive scent on nose is so strong, and on the palate it's like drinking wine that has been filtered in tapenade.
    Absolutely loved it, after a while, the olives rescind a bit and some lavender and Herbes de Provence start to appear, the wine is bright, deep, with a great sense of place, like drinking a young vines Cornas with all the exuberance of youth and some of the complexity and structure. The finish is long and probably one of the better Syrahs we've had in a while. (92 pts.)
Best

Jacques
Dandersson

Re: TN: 2017 Domaine Auguste Clape Le Vin des Amis

Post by Dandersson »

jal wrote:
  • 2017 Domaine Auguste Clape Le Vin des Amis - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Vin de Pays (6/3/2020)
    With a bean stew we drank this 100% Syrah from vineyards between Cornas and the village, the color is dark purple, the olive scent on nose is so strong, and on the palate it's like drinking wine that has been filtered in tapenade.
    Absolutely loved it, after a while, the olives rescind a bit and some lavender and Herbes de Provence start to appear, the wine is bright, deep, with a great sense of place, like drinking a young vines Cornas with all the exuberance of youth and some of the complexity and structure. The finish is long and probably one of the better Syrahs we've had in a while. (92 pts.)
Nice, I have always wanted to get a bottle of this since his Cornas is way away from my tiny budget and very hard to get. Thank you! Best, Dan
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Been buying it for years, I love this baby Cornas.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Sounds great.

The 99 Clape Cornas that SF Ed brought to Denver was one of my favorite wines of 2019.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Hi jal.

Looks like a very good Vin de Pays. I guess you can't go wrong with Clape. Not available in wine store here, I'll look for it as private importation.

And i agree with blanquito, the SF Ed 1999 Chave Cornas of Friday night in Denver was quite something.

Nic
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Pricing on all the Clape wines have gone nuts. I bought the 2015 VDA for sub-$30. It’s now at $50. I’m not a buyer at $50.
brodway

Post by brodway »

Clape is a very good producer, and over the years prices rose as wine drinkers realized the value was there...good to see another Syrah note...
jal

Post by jal »

The 2017 was $39 last year
The 2018 (which I also bought) was $51
The prices are up because of demand for Clape but also include the 25% tariffs.
But I used to buy the Clape Cornas Renaissance for $45-50 and it has now also doubled in price.
Hard to find good Northern Rhone Syrah for less these days unfortunately. I got some 2017 Alain Graillot Crozes Hermitage for $32, it's a good wine but I'd take the Clape VdA any day over it.
Best

Jacques
jal

Post by jal »

I just see that Levet Cote Rotie Chavaroche is selling for around $75, I admit that is the better buy but the price will creep up soon
Best

Jacques
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

We can thank Mr. Robert Alfert Jr for the current pricing of Levet!
Blanquito

Re: TN: 2017 Domaine Auguste Clape Le Vin des Ami~

Post by Blanquito »

I bought the 2006 and 2013 Chavaroche in the low $40s just a few year ago.