2014 Wind Gap Syrah Sonoma Coast

brodway

2014 Wind Gap Syrah Sonoma Coast

Post by brodway »

All the talk of Rhone and Arv's voluminous notes got me salivating for a juicy Syrah.

Wow...what a juicy, fruity and easy drinking Syrah this is....Opened 30 minutes before consuming and it was singing in the glass within an hour of opening....just tremendous succulent flavors of fruits and berries...cherry, blackberry, early harvest plums (not the dark ones that are picked later in the season but the ones that have some tartness) there is a layer of milk chocolate here that coats all the underlying fruit....but with a twist of acidity which keeps it quite fresh and perky...texture is more of a medium body wine...tannins are just about resolved but offer just a bit of chewiness at the very end which is pleasing. What's exciting little package here at only 12.6% alcohol
Blanquito

Re: 2014 Wind Gap Syrah Sonoma Coast

Post by Blanquito »

For me, Wind Gap in general is one of the great, unheralded wine operations in California. As much as I like their reds, I often enjoy the whites even more. Good to hear the 2014 is up to snuff.
Last edited by Blanquito on Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
brodway

Post by brodway »

My notes say i paid under $18 a bottle all in....remember getting it from an unconventional source, possibly a newsletter, but don't remember which one...would be a buyer of more should i come across any other vintages
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

brodway wrote:My notes say i paid under $18 a bottle all in....remember getting it from an unconventional source, possibly a newsletter, but don't remember which one...would be a buyer of more should i come across any other vintages
That’s a serious deal. The Syrahs are usually ~$40.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Never heard about that producer, but i believe you Broadway.

Personally, i'm a fan of Qupé Syrah, at least the few 4 or 5 vintages i had in the past.

Nic
brodway

Post by brodway »

Nick...

This blows Qupe out of the water...if i could ship to Canada i'd send you a bottle...but maybe you make it to NYC later this year and we can share a bottle
jckba

Post by jckba »

$18/btl sounds like a Garagiste kind of price.
brodway

Post by brodway »

Could be Garagiste JCKBA....love finding little gems in a big world of obscure wines