Two Puligny 1er

jal

Two Puligny 1er

Post by jal »

With appetizers of smoked mahi spread, roasted marinated mushrooms and blistered shishito peppers, we opened:
2016 Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Champ Canet" Domaine Pernot-Bélicard;
clean, round, nice fruit structure, impeccable balance lacks a bit of tension but a very correct Puligny Montrachet. 90

With main of pan fried grouper, roasted potatoes and asparagus:
2017 Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Champs Canet" Domaine Jacques Carillon; what's in an "S"? Is it the same vineyard? At first searing acidity and lemons but the wine needs five minutes to calm down and then its a great perfume of pears, slight whiff of gun powder, with a deep much more complex flavor, minerality, pure, focused and long, this will get better and better. 93 for me.

I am drinking my 2017 Jacques Carillon wines way too quickly. They will benefit from some age. I need some white Burgundy cellar defenders.
Best

Jacques
stefan

Re: Two Puligny 1er

Post by stefan »

You are drinking a lot of good white Burgundy, Jacques. As we head into summer I have very little. OTOH, we are having trouble getting good fish so it does not matter that much.

As for the s, Ramonet uses Champs-Canet, the Carillons use Champs Canet, and most everyone else use Champ Canet or Champ-Canet. I think one must be a third generation Burgundian to understand the difference among the names. I think only the Carillons add Les at the beginning.
brodway

Re: Two Puligny 1er

Post by brodway »

Jacques

you've been on a Burgundy kick lately...Puligny's exotic fruit and acidity is just magical and addictive....i used to drink quite a bit of them, but lately feel i've been been priced out of the market and drinking more Chablis which i also like for its precision and focus....especially good as it gets warm....but i guess its always warm where you are :)