TN: 1949 'Domaine' Mont-Redon - Breathtaking wine...

HarryKaris

TN: 1949 'Domaine' Mont-Redon - Breathtaking wine...

Post by HarryKaris »

This 1949 Mont-Redon is one of the most elegant, refined, overwhelming, breathtaking complex Grenache based CdP wine in the world.

Forget about analyzing and tasting notes - this is pure enjoyment - a thrilling hedonistic moment you need to 'suck up' until it is soaked into every cell in your body.
Sexy, elegant and lush with an amazingly complex flavor palette building up until the end of the unremittingly long finish.
No desire to have any food with this wine. This is eating and drinking simultaneously.

Only 1 bottle left... sniff sniff.........

CdP-Harry
DavidG

Re: TN: 1949 'Domaine' Mont-Redon - Breathtaking wine...

Post by DavidG »

Sounds wonderful! Where do you find these gems? During your travels in the Rhone, from the proprietors, or are these auction buys?
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Reminds me of an "other worldly" experience I had several years ago. - and possibly my best wine experience. I was invited to dinner with a couple where the gentleman has been buying wines since the early 1960s. We tasted the wine he served blind with the main course with the request to try to identify it. His spouse says 1970 Bordeaux (she knows he's been buying for decades). Paula punts. I go out on a limb because I know it's a Bordeaux, it clearly has some age on it, and it still has a great amount of fresh fruit flavors; so I guess a 1982 Bordeaux. Turns out it was a 1949 Gruaud Larose! He served a wine from the year I was born!

The wine was fabulous - I could not believe it was well over 50 years old. There must have been something really special about the 1949 vintage in France.

Harry, thanks for reporting on this. It would be fabulous to taste a CdP from 1949 to compare to my experience with the 1949 Gruaud Larose.

Jon
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Tom in DC pulled a similar one on us a couple of years ago. Brought out a decanter of something - I think it was a Bdx dinner and we knew it was Bdx. Young looking, muscular, tannic, still plenty of lush right-banky fruit, I guessed '86 Pomerol. No one else around the table exactly jumped in to agree, or disagree for that matter. It was a nineteen forty-something Rouget. Tom can fill in the details.