Experience with these 2016's?

JCNorthway

Experience with these 2016's?

Post by JCNorthway »

At my age, I'm not looking to purchase any of the bigger names from the 2016 vintage. However, I would like to add some wines from this vintage that might be in a good place over the next 5-15 years. Here are a few I've been looking at recently that sound pretty decent from reviews I've seen. But I'd be interested in any first-hand experiences anyone has had with them:

La Vieille Cure
Fontenil
Potensac
La Gurgue
RPCV

Re: Experience with these 2016's?

Post by RPCV »

I loved Potensac, Fonenil and LV Cure. Fronsac killed it in 2016. I had all on release and found them simply delicious...my kind of vintage. I consumed a Potensac recently and found it to be shutting down....it will age well, however.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Two thumbs up on the Potensac, the only one of those I've tried.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Hi John.

Count me a fan of the 2016 Potensac as well. And i think it will be better in 10-15 years.

If you can find Capbern, this also excellent for the price.

Can't comment on the other.

By the way, i don't know if the 2016 will shut down? They seem like too well made for that. For 10-15 years, i would surely consider some ligther Crus Classés like d'Armailhac or du Tertre.

Nic
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Potensac is an excellent QPR.

Unless LVC and Fontenil have changed stylistically, I have always found them too modern for my yak palate.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

At least though the 2005 vintage (after which I stopped buy the Fontenil), Fontenil always showed more modern and oaky than LVC did for my camel palate (from one ungulate to another). They’re both on the modern end of things, but fontenil became a bridge too far me.
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

I personally didn't enjoy the 2016 La Vieille Cure as I found this to be too New World for my liking (all candy floss, oak and syrupy). But that may just be my palate. Unfortunately I also didn't enjoy the 2016 Potensac either, but for opposing reasons, too thin and weedy for my liking. But I appreciate that others prefer its 'sternness'.

The 2016s are fantastic though, so if these are wines you typically enjoy, I would stock up.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

The last Vieille Cure I tried was the 09, which is a big ripe fruit bomb, but fun and not really oaky. I hate oaky wines.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Last Vielle Cure I had is the 2001 and it was too oaky so I stayed away since then.

Nic
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

I have only had the 2016 La Vieille Cure and I was not much of a fan. Yes its a great value but I agree with Ian. Found it way too New World and Syrupy and also overoaked.

Totally agree about the Capbern 2014-2016 as that is my favorite Under $30 Bordeaux, at least so far.
marcs

Post by marcs »

LVC is one of the best $30 Sonoma Merlots you will ever find.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Ok, I have some 05 LVC, I’m gonna open one and report back.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Blanquito wrote:Ok, I have some 05 LVC, I’m gonna open one and report back.
Sell it, you’ll be infinitely happier with 40 or so dollars per bottle :mrgreen:
brodway

Post by brodway »

JC

Popped a 2016 Fontenil last month and didn't find it appealing...stylistically it was not the backward style Bordeaux i personally enjoy....it didn't have the notes i look for in Bordeaux, specifically earth, tobacco, pencil shavings, berries, dark chocolate, etc... but judging a wine this early may be unfair. Most of all i did not think the fruit was taking charge over the astringent acidity and in a ripe vintage i'd think this is a problem.

The 2016 Sociando i tasted also had astringent acidity, but more stuffing and i'd think at some point it would integrate the fruit and acid into something more magical.

The 2016 Meyney, in my opinion showed best from this group for me.....this wine had serious depth of fruit and a more round mouth feel than the above two. This wine will eventually provide great pleasure. I can't believe this is still trading in the $30's