Magdelaine 1970 and Bernard Glantenay Volnay Santenots 2010

Musigny 151

Magdelaine 1970 and Bernard Glantenay Volnay Santenots 2010

Post by Musigny 151 »

Two lovely wines. Tonight the Magdelaine. Poor cork, defeated even my Durand. Strained through, a beautiful nose, bright red fruit, herbal notes, spice and beautiful seamless structure and long finish. It began to fade, after an hour or so in the glass.
Overall, one of those phenomenal old fashioned, traditional Saint Emilions that continues to delight even after fifty years in the bottle 94

The Glantenay was a different beast entirely. This was a makeweight to complete a case, but highly recommended by a retailer friend. The moment I poured it, I knew it was special. An oyster shell minerality, lavender mingling with Pinot fruit. It bloomed in the glass, becoming both deeper and more sensual over time. The finish was long and layered. This was a pretty serious Burgundy, the best Volnay I have had in several years. 94
Nicklasss

Re: Magdelaine 1970 and Bernard Glantenay Volnay Santenots 2010

Post by Nicklasss »

Very interesting report Musigny 151.

I would like to taste a 50 years old Magdelaine, as from my limited experience their wines are traditionnal, need sometimes, and are so blanced that can age surely beautifully. Your note is kinda of a proof.

In my quest for Bourgogne lately, i want to go for these "slightly less known" producers but that have the reputation of making excellent to great terroir Bourgogne. Glantenay is an interesting one, and i should buy a bottle or two in the coming weeks. Another i will surely try is Génot-Boulanger.

Lately, i ordered some Domaine Arnoux Chorey-les-Beaune, supposely excellent.

Nic
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Nicklasss wrote:Very interesting report Musigny 151.

I would like to taste a 50 years old Magdelaine, as from my limited experience their wines are traditionnal, need sometimes, and are so blanced that can age surely beautifully. Your note is kinda of a proof.

In my quest for Bourgogne lately, i want to go for these "slightly less known" producers but that have the reputation of making excellent to great terroir Bourgogne. Glantenay is an interesting one, and i should buy a bottle or two in the coming weeks. Another i will surely try is Génot-Boulanger.

Lately, i ordered some Domaine Arnoux Chorey-les-Beaune, supposely excellent.

Nic
Bobby G and I had the 1966 a couple years ago, it was gorgeous. We had the 1985 last year, another stunner. These wines age glacially, and I'm really re-thinking my window on them after a couple recent 2000s still came across as quite closed to me. Felt sorta that way as well about a recent 1995.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I have one bottle of 1970 Magdelaine which I am saving for Patrick when he finally makes it over to the east side of the pond.

That Glantenay sounds interesting Mark but seems difficult to source over here, but I may be able to lay my hands on some 2015.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I've had the 70 Magdelaine four or five times (Ramon and Dale were my initial introduction, may the lord and saints honor them), including one with Mark at Fabio's in 2015, and all but one bottle has been sublime for my palate.

But it's been a few years since my last go, so I am eager to see Ian and his bottle.
brodway

Post by brodway »

How has the winemaking changed for current vintages of Magdelaine in relation to the wines made pre 1995?

Seems the older vintages of Magdelaine are made to age gracefully and seem to show well even at 50 years.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

Magdelaine never changed until it’s untimely death in 2012. Christian Moueix oversaw it, and until it was absorbed by the Belair Monange estate, the wines remained pretty well untouched by modernism. Belair Monange under Eduardo not so much.

Sadly, modernism has now permeated pretty well every estate Saint Emilion, although the wines are a little dialed back from what they were. Perhaps Cheval and Corbin still make typique wines, but for the most part, these have been lost. Now Figeac and Canon are somewhat modernized since both are under new management. I like Figeac, Canon a little less, but the wines are a little young to know how they will ultimately develop. It is interesting that while all this was going on in Saint Emilion, Pomerol remains largely untouched.

I have bought a lot of Magdelaine over the last couple of years. I believe that these wines will become cult, as collectors realize that ultimately if you want the old, traditional style of Saint Emilion, you will have few choices, and among the best is Magdelaine. But there are others of course; Cheval of course and the old Figeacs and Canons, but they are also rapidly being sucked up by the market. They haven’t reached stupid levels yet, but a case of 1982 Magdelaine went close to $400 a bottle.

Just to be clear, I am not a seller, and I have enough not to need to buy, but if I find some, will happily purchase.
Last edited by Musigny 151 on Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

I hope Jim doesn’t mind if I mention this, but I will be doing a charity tasting for the Innocence Project once Covid ends.
I will be opening magnums of some of my favorite Bordeaux, including Magdelaine 1982 and 1985.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Musigny 151 wrote: I have bought a lot of Magdelaine over the last couple of years. I believe that these wines will become cult, as collectors realize that ultimately if you want the old, traditional style of Saint Emilion, you will have few choices, and among the best is Magdelaine. But there are others of course; Cheval of course and the old Figeacs and Canons, but they are also rapidly being sucked up by the market. They haven’t reached stupid levels yet, but a case of 1982 Magdelaine went close to $400 a bottle.

Just to be clear, I am not a seller, and I have enough not to need to buy, but if I find some, will happily purchase.

For those of us that concur, what vintages of Canon and Figeac would you be targeting?

I had a 2004 Canon several months ago that was just lovely for my palate, not highly rated at all from the critics, and the price was low. Wish I had a case of it.

I bought an 82 Magdelaine off WineBid for about $200 recently, but have to acknowledge some risk with that auction source.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

Figeac
2000 Figeac for your Loire centric palate
But there are so many; probably any half ay decent vintage except 1979.

Canon is much more hit or miss, and at its best, not quite as good as Figeac, but then the pricing is better.
I love 1982 (the second bottle I had recently was fabulous after a corked one).

2014, 09, 05 and 2000.
1998,96 90
1989 and 1985
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I am a huge Canon fan. The 82, 83, 85, and 89 are especially wonderful, and the 83 and 85 were comparatively cheap ($80 or less) until quite recently. I had a wonderful bottle of the 83 Canon (one in a long series of wonderful 1983 claret) in 2018, if you can find one with good storage I’m sure it’s going strong albeit in a fully tertiary manner.

I wonder about the direction of the 2000-2010 Canons. They had a different wine maker in that era than in the 80’s and the bottles I’ve tried from those years haven’t thrilled me. I snagged a case of the 08 for like $50 all in about 5 years ago, but based on the one bottle I tried these need time.

Encouraging to hear your thoughts on the 04 Canon, Robert, I’ll keep the faith.

New Canon is not my style at all. The 2016 I tried at the UGC was really impressive and really unattractive at the same time. Nothing like the magic of the old regime(s) at all.
AKR

Post by AKR »

For those who might be looking for lower volume St Em's, try Larmande.