TN: 2000 Beau Soleil [Pomerol]

AKR

TN: 2000 Beau Soleil [Pomerol]

Post by AKR »

2000 Beau Soleil [Pomerol] This is a small production Pomerol (2000 cs) that one doesn't see much. I bought it on release from MacArthurs, and it has a French tax stamp, suggesting that it was not intended for export. It's been in a cool cellar since, and the cork looked fabulous. During this era, the only place I recall ever seeing it offered was at MacArthurs, and I put away a bottle each of the 95, 98, and 00. The vineyards are next door to Croix du Casse, and shared a common ownership in that era, being vinified by J.M. Arcaute as well. 2000 was his final vintage before he died in a boating tragedy. The label states 12.5% but it feels bigger, weightier than that. It's thick, 100% merlot, with only light bricking at the edges, and a good example of how fine merlot can age. The color is still dark garnet. On the nose I get a brambly blackberry note, and then some cedar, with figs on the palate. Its still very fruity, and the tannins/acid are low and in balance. It is just fine to sip without food. Over two days, double decanted, and served at 60F. I'd slot this into the B+ zone, at the upper end. It's more enjoyable than the grade suggests though; it just doesn't have the layers of flavors that a top wine can show. The first couple sips made me think: this tastes like Croix du Casse.

PS: Not easy to find, and little stateside, but Millesima seems to be able to get cases of the 2009 for $350 (pre tax, pre tariff, pre shipping) to US persons, if they can wait a while. That seems pretty reasonable all things considered.
Last edited by AKR on Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spikegrhm

Re: TN: 2000 Beau Soleil [Pomerol]

Post by spikegrhm »

AKR, I purchased a few bottles of the 2005 EP and found them to be quite nice. Not a wine to stop you in your tracks , but , a wine to make you smile . Have a couple left...will try one soon and report back. Spike
AKR

Re: TN: 2000 Beau Soleil [Pomerol]

Post by AKR »

the artist may be gone, the work endures
the artist may be gone, the work endures
My supply of Beau Soleil's is dwindling, so I was happy to find a 2000, enjoying it over the last couple of nights. These smaller, lesser seen Pomerols usually take some effort to find, even if one is in a major metro area. I ordered these from MacArthur's at release. This is showing mulberry, figs, hazelnuts on the nose with a plummy, fruity palate. The texture is very smooth and the color is dark despite the age. Some milky notes on this 12.5% abv merlot, with medium sediment typical for the age. Cork was soaked about 1/4 of the way, but had held well. Owners might consider consumption within the decade, although it drank well after 24 hours of aeration.