2003 Duhart Singing

dstgolf

2003 Duhart Singing

Post by dstgolf »

Nice to see the wine fast come to a pause...not end but tonight with angus rib steak,sautéed garlic scapes, local asperagus and salad this wine is classic pauillac. Cedar,lead pencil and cassis on the nose. This vintage is the ugly duckling of Bordeaux and I'm sorry to have listened to all of the comments over the years that these won't age. Well wrong! This wine is superb. Close your eyes and sniff,sip and you are transformed. This was a real treat tonight and the only downside is it's my last bottle. I'll hang on to the case of 04 & 05 a little longer as this is still on the upside from my perspective. Classic, delicious pauillac and showing much of the features of its sexy big brother. If you have any hanging in your cellar give it a try and you won't be disappointed.
Danny
AKR

Re: 2003 Duhart Singing

Post by AKR »

2003 is such a glorious triumph of a year in the northern AOCs.

I'm going to have an 03 Ponet Canet this weekend.

I love it in the NoRho too, and those are one of the few areas I will backfill.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I was totally jazzed by this wine on release and it was dirt cheap (<$30 at the time), so I Howed 4 or 5 bottles and laid down a case. I ended up selling 6 bottles during the Lafite craze (I was paid $135/bottle), and I’ve been holding off on the remainder. Sounds time to check back in, thanks Danny!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Wasn’t this wine a Wine Spectator wine of the year? I know it was on the cover of a WS edition.
Hm$(still)

Post by Hm$(still) »

Just opened the 2nd bottle of my stash. I agree, it’s quite enjoyable.

Hm$
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

HM,

Glad that you enjoyed. A good buddy that I golf with is a prominent lawyer in town was asking what he could get his articling student as a special bottle. She's a level 3 sommelier which sounds impressive but is a 5 day course with exam and they are experts to the uninitiated!! She wants old world Bordeaux with some age, nothing jammy so I suggest great QPR is the 2003 Duhart which I'll sell to him at the 2018 futures price level $150. I think she'll be happy.
Danny
JonB

Post by JonB »

I recall RP put a tasting note on the ERP forum rating this 94 and a strong buy, a week or so before the wine speculator came out ( as Jim How. mentions above) with Duhart and a few other wines on the cover in the feature article of sub $50 bargains. By the time the issue was released to the public, Duhart was then hard to source, and well beyond the $50. Coincidence? :o
It was one of the few times RP posted a review and score in the forum...

With the passage of time, reviewer and forum tiffs seem to fade, but a few 2003s are awakening