$1m wine book

PhilR

$1m wine book

Post by PhilR »

http://bordeaux-undiscovered.blogspot.c ... -book.html

What do you think? I think it's pretty ridiculous to be honest.
Claudius

Re: $1m wine book

Post by Claudius »

A rich man's indulgence, a bit like some Bordeaux wines...
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

If had the $$, I'd spend them elsewhere. Pretty sure you wouldn't get the specific wines written up, but something undoubtedly less valuable but from the same producer.
PhilR

Post by PhilR »

DavidG wrote:If had the $$, I'd spend them elsewhere. Pretty sure you wouldn't get the specific wines written up, but something undoubtedly less valuable but from the same producer.
I dunno, for $1m I'd be expecting first growths. Say the book itself takes up $300,000, that leaves $700,000 / 100 / 12 = $583 per bottle average price. Surely it could be done for that?

Claudius, absolutely. If I was rich however, I wouldn't buy this book, I'd go direct for the wine.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Even if the book is only $100, leaving almost all of the money for wine, think about what the featured "best in the world ever" wines are likely to be. 1947 Cheval Blanc, 1811 Yquem, 1900 Margaux, some awesome vintage of Romanee Conti? There aren't enough of those bottles in the world to supply every book purchaser a 6-pack of each, at any price. Not real bottles, anyway. And they don't promise the featured wines anyway, only wines from the producers of the featured wines. So an off year or a second or third wine of Cheval, Yquem, and Margaux are more likely.

If I had $1 million to spend, I'd be choosing the wines myself.
michael

Post by michael »

I'd make some crack about a fool and their money, or there being a sucker born every minute, but really anyone who has the means to seriously consider spending $1m on a book, is probably neither a sucker nor a fool... Certainly you could argue there are plenty of other things which might deliver better value, but I have to think value is of little consequence to whomever can afford a million dollar book.
rjsussex

Post by rjsussex »

I agree with David - they'll probably end up with things like the third wine of Latour, 'Pauillac', which incidentally I've just been offered (04 vintage) for a ludicrous £40 a pop.

Richard