The Fourth, fireworks, and wine in Maine....

JimHow

The Fourth, fireworks, and wine in Maine....

Post by JimHow »

This is my favorite week of the year.
It goes back to childhood, when my Dad used to get this one week off each year from the mill.
Our parents would take me and my brothers to the Maine beaches at Old Orchard, Popham, and Reid State Park.
Some years we would go visit our cool cousins in Vernon, Connecticut, where my Uncle Bob would light firecrackers in the back yard.
It is the week of summer where the days are longest, the New England death march toward fall and winter has already begun but we don't know it yet (we're already two weeks past summer solstice), you can still see the hints of light in the west as late as about nine-thirty or so.
It's when you wear T-shirts and shorts and sandals and you don't think about a care in the world, you don't even read books or anything, you just sit on the back deck and relax, sip some wine, grill some food, listen to some music, until the sun goes down.

Got the last of my work done early this morning then made my way up Route 202 between Lewiston and Augusta for my annual half hour sojourn up to Patriot Fireworks up in Monmouth, the route looking more Appalachian than ever with the honky tonk zoning laws (or lack thereof) once you get north of the Big City (Lewiston) and up into Greene, Monmouth, and Manchester.
It's the one day of the year it actually kind of feels good to be a redneck -- July 3rd -- the day BEFORE the Fourth -- when I drive up past the honky tonk, the weed dispensaries that have popped up EVERYWHERE, so reflective of the false economy and the failed state that we have become, and, of course, the fireworks shops, it's like I'm in my own little piece of South Carolina, minus the billboards. And now I'm pulling up into the small parking lot of Patriot Fireworks up on the left, with a huge Stars and Stripes out front, a little south of Augusta, the small lot filled with trucks and motorcycles, some serious Trump and Second Amendment supporters coming in and out for their fireworks, not a mask in sight.
I park my 2008 Corolla, with over 331,000 miles on it, there’s not a mask to be found in the place, with probably 15 or so people in the small store, staff and customers included. It's got everything going except the Confederate flag, at least as far as I can tell....

There are like two rooms, it's all one room really, but there's a large entrance into the back area where like the serious shit is, where large men with beards are congregating and discussing the best fireworks to be had north of South Carolina. I stay in the front room, like I always do, there's plenty of good shit to be had here, as well. It's all from China, of course, ALL of them, the products in "PATRIOT Fireworks..." <rolls eyes AND shakes head>.

To be continued....
Chateau Vin

Re: The Fourth, fireworks, and wine in Maine....

Post by Chateau Vin »

US Flags and Fireworks, all made in china....Sounds like July 4 is sponsored by china, and feels weird... :roll:
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

So I'm there about 3 or 4 minutes, looking at the Power Pak display, which is what I usually go with each year, it's got some cool shit -- and a lot of it -- that can really hold you over through the long holiday weekend. I'll light some tonight and tomorrow but save most for Sunday when I go over to my brother Tom's house in Auburn for lobster, where we'll light most of them with the nieces and nephew and brothers. I hear there's a partial lunar eclipse on Sunday evening.

Ah it's great to be a redneck in Maine just for one weekend. We didn't get to buy fireworks in Maine until 9 years ago when our crazy mini-Trump governor Paul Lepage took over and, damn it, he was determined to realize the Maine Chamber of Commerce dream of being more like the live free or die tax free state of New Hampshire and, damn it, we were going to be able to buy and sell fireworks, and that was like the first law he passed, a harbinger of the eight years that was going to come, leading to Orange Head and the predicament we are in now. I'm sure there are people blowing off fingers and hands here and there up and down the Pine Tree state each year, but they are relatively safe, as long as you aren't too intoxicated while setting them off. We had one poor 21 year old kid up in Machias the first year after they passed the law, he was drunk, put one on top of his head, and died....

So I went with the Power Pak ($70), of course, made in China, and the two redneck guys are teaming up on me trying to sell me more, asking me questions about who my audience is (my brothers, nieces and nephews, especially 17 year old Jack), and recommending additional items accordingly, including the obligatory Robo-Bats -- those things are naaaasty, in a gooood way, I've bought them annually, they are not part of the Power Pak. And, of course, a pack of the iconic M-60, the little barrel shaped firecracker that is tiny but is oh so orgasmically loud, it echoes for seconds here in the quiet neighborhood on Pinewoods Drive. I have wonderful neighbors, we are very quiet, but this is the one weekend of the year that we interrupt the peace.

And the two young salesmen sold me on a new product called "Free Fall," I've never tried it before, the label says "WARNING Shoots flaming Balls..." I can't wait! Apparently it shoots flaming balls up into the sky and then comes down with a small figure attached to a parachute. There are two in the box, I'll save them until Sunday with the family, could be quite a grande finale. The two guys promised me I won't be disappointed.

To be continued....
Attachments
IMG_4230.jpg
IMG_4230.jpg (135.72 KiB) Viewed 1480 times
IMG_4224.jpg
IMG_4224.jpg (93.73 KiB) Viewed 1480 times
IMG_4223.jpg
IMG_4223.jpg (156.45 KiB) Viewed 1480 times
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

The iconic M-60....
Attachments
IMG_4231.jpg
IMG_4231.jpg (137.89 KiB) Viewed 1479 times
Claret

Post by Claret »

Happy 4th to all!
Glenn
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

So the two young guys are playing me a little bit, not too bad, really, I don't mind, I'm sure they've done this sales routine hundreds of times, hey, this is their big week, they probably make 90% of their annual profit this week, they know who I am, that fancy lawyer from Lewiston, we chat a while, how's business, busier this year because of the virus?, "oh yeah", Hey I'll see you guys again next year, "we'll be here...." I come out of there with about $158 worth of fireworks and my little contribution to the central Maine economy... and, I'm sure some hell hole factory in China. No Amazon purchase here, this is real life Trump Americana, 2020, I drive my '08 Corolla south now, past the honky tonk and back into my Big City, on this uncomfortable Fourth of July weekend in a very uncomfortable United States, I start to drive next south on the turnpike to NH to go buy some Champagne, maybe a couple of bottles of Taittinger Comtes '07 per Musigny's recommendation, it is like 3:30 now, but my lawyer buddy big Don Hornblower -- the inspiration for "Big Don Hightower" in my novel "Lisbon Street," it's a great read, if you haven't checked it out yet, it's still available on Amazon and Barnes & Noble, "Big D" calls me and asks if I want to go for a beer, I turn around on the turnpike and meet him for a beer at DaVinci's restaurant in the old rehabbed Bates Mill complex in Lewiston, they just opened up the bars and restaurants up here on 7/1, it was nice to get out for the first time in four months, they had it segregated out nicely, although I can't complain, in my spot on the Spectrum I have actually enjoyed the isolation, I welcome it, I've enjoyed not having to go to court, not having to put on a suit, not having to be around all these asshole clients, prosecutors, lawyers, full-of-themselves judges, etc., etc. I'm happy to be in Patriots Fireworks and having a Bud Lite bottle with my buddy Big Don Hornblower on a Friday afternoon in Maine before the long Fourth of July weekend....

To be continued....
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Happy 4th everyone and hopefully everyone comes out with all of their fingers intact and no covid infection. Not a fun time.
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

My Chinese friend is laughing at how fast I am running after I light the fuses in the back yard....
Ah yes, Chinese fireworks on the Fourth of July... A great American tradition.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I've been semi-fasting this summer but have had a few good wines, including 2015 Fombrauge, 2016 Felsina Rancia (never disappoints), and 2005 Domaine Pierre Gelin Gevrey-Chambertin Clos des Meixvelles, wow, that Burg was in such a sweet spot, a village Burg 15 years after vintage, still a lot to show, although it faded just a bit at the very end. I have 3 bottles left that I'll drink in the next 5-8 years.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Happy 4th of July to all my friends in the USA. You always convince me that it is a great country.

For my part, i did a surprise birthday party to MC yesterday " lots of friends, family, Champagne, wines red and white, fun, sensational day.

Nic
Dandersson

Post by Dandersson »

Happy 4th of July!!!!
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

Happy 4th Jim! Right before the Covid hit Michael M and myself spent the weekend at Andy J's place which is minutes from Popham Beach. Great beach and a nice walk out to the island at low tide.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Nice, Gerry! Yeah, that walk out to the island at low tide is amazing.
We tried to get out there before July 1st but it was all closed up.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Love reading your reminiscences Jim.

Doing my best to suppress my nag/worry reaction to fireworks. Worst recreational eye injuries I’ve had to repair are golf balls, Champagne corks, a badminton shuttlecock, and fireworks. Keep running fast. It adds to the excitement.

Have a happy and safe 4th!
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Our neighborhood had a more than normal amount of fireworks being set off last night. We could see them from inside our house in a couple different directions. I chose not to light off any of the items I've been saving. Not in a mood to celebrate right now. We may have a gathering of friends in the next few weeks when I'll have a good opportunity.
Here's what it looks like from my driveway when I do light off fireworks:
Youtube fireworks video
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

Pretty impressive for a driveway shoot-off! My son-in-law is a nut over fireworks and I usually have to reign him in every year to keep from setting my yard on fire. In looking at the video, are you a 914 fan?
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Gerry M. wrote: are you a 914 fan?
Am I a 914 fan?
This was my driveway earlier in the day when the fireworks video was made:
Driveway2.jpg
Driveway2.jpg (85.26 KiB) Viewed 1181 times
My race car in Big Bend at Lime Rock Park:
Image341s.jpg
Image341s.jpg (18.29 KiB) Viewed 1171 times
My wife was holding the checkered flag out the passenger window and the yellow flag above that just happens to be attached to my transport rig.

I guess I am a 914 fan. :D
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Nice. we had a lot of fireworks in the neighborhood last night, including one neighbor who put on a display like yours.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

I'd be into that if I had time for one more hobby. lol. I'm limited to just enjoying my E46 M3. It's a vert so I could never race it but it's a 6sp manual and it's still a blast to drive.
AKR

Post by AKR »

An fine exposition on this strange summer.

Sadly, we just heard a relative of a friend/coworker passed away from the COVID.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Hung out with the relatives for the first time in nearly four months, omg the soft shell lobster is just amazing this time of year.
We drank a 2004 Malescot that was in a really good place, the 2016 Capbern tasted nice but got a little lost in the crowd, I have another bottle and I'll give it another shot in the next week or two. The third of three bottles of 2008 Bouchard Le Corton was another disappointment, all three were light and uninteresting. I'm a big fan of 2016 Felsina Rancia, even with lobster! I know you guys age it for like 20 years but I like them young. I uncorked a bottle of 2016 Alban Vineyards Viogner that Tom in DC/CO brought to my house a couple years ago, I didn't have much of it, might've been past its prime, but the rest of the family seemed to enjoy it with the lobsters. The fireworks display did not disappoint, especially the parachutists!
Attachments
IMG_4239.jpg
IMG_4239.jpg (117.54 KiB) Viewed 1063 times
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Did you used to race in Maine, Chris?
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

JimHow wrote:Did you used to race in Maine, Chris?
There are no road racing courses in Maine Jim. The closest track is New Hampshire Motor Speedway, where I've logged a few thousand race miles.
This link is in-car footage from a SCCA Majors (National competition) race at NHMS in 2005. Its a challenging technical course.
I finished second to the black VW Rabbit (with 40hp more than me) that started right in front of me. I might have caught him if not for a big mistake I made (trying to go faster) late in the race.
The black & white 914 roadster that passed me was in a higher class, with a 6 cyl engine. The two other 914s in the race were in my class and I lapped them both (several times) that day.
New Hampshire National Race

Gerry, when I was racing it was all I had time (or money) for. I spent a lot more money on that than I'm spending on fine wine. One of my favorite competitors early on was a guy in a BMW 320i. Our cars were prepared more or less equally.
In fact, the next link is in-car from another competitor who had a birds eye view of me racing that BMW. At that point we were all running stock engines and limited handling upgrades.
1996 race at NHMS
AKR

Post by AKR »

JimHow wrote:Hung out with the relatives for the first time in nearly four months, omg the soft shell lobster is just amazing this time of year.
We drank a 2004 Malescot that was in a really good place, the 2016 Capbern tasted nice but got a little lost in the crowd, I have another bottle and I'll give it another shot in the next week or two. The third of three bottles of 2008 Bouchard Le Corton was another disappointment, all three were light and uninteresting. I'm a big fan of 2016 Felsina Rancia, even with lobster! I know you guys age it for like 20 years but I like them young. I uncorked a bottle of 2016 Alban Vineyards Viogner that Tom in DC/CO brought to my house a couple years ago, I didn't have much of it, might've been past its prime, but the rest of the family seemed to enjoy it with the lobsters. The fireworks display did not disappoint, especially the parachutists!
Viognier and lobster is a good match, especially the big California expression of that grape.