La Conseillante with Marielle Cazaux

Jeff Leve

Re: La Conseillante with Marielle Cazaux

Post by Jeff Leve »

stefan wrote:I'll have to try one of these modern and spoofilated DdCs. This is an estate that I have enjoyed for 50 years and was happy that it was under the radar. Tonight Lucie and I drank the 1998 with duck breasts. While it will not be mistaken for LMHB or even Smith-Haut-Lafitte, it is a wonderful and true Graves. It saddens me to hear that it has changed.
Stefan.. This is the stuff that I do not get. You have not tried recent vintages of the wine, but it saddens you that is has changed. How do you know? This sort of comments are all over wine boards, folks not liking wines they have not tried. FWIW, I think the recent vintages of DDC are the best in their history! The owner agrees. Of course you can say the owner has wine to sell, and what else will he say. But I find Oilvier Bernard to be a straight shooter. He could say it's great to help sell. But knowing him quite well, he would not say it is the best in their history if he did not mean it.
Jeff Leve

Post by Jeff Leve »

OrlandoRobert wrote:I’m a simple drinker. I pay my own way. I don’t get samples or insider access. My views are my own. I’m not reliant on anyone for access or wine. I do not seek attention with wine writings and blogs. My opinion is frank, honest. It is me.
So we are clear, because I find this post odd, as I would not expect this coming from you. Are you saying your views are more honest and fair than those who get samples and have websites? I hope not. Or am I reading this wrong?
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

OrlandoRobert,

You forgot to mention my TNs on 2005 Lascombes!

Tasted twice - last time in April 2016. Consistent notes. Creamy, sweet fat fruit and tannin, great depth and balance, long lingering finish. Stylish elegance. Very impressive effort. 94p. Oak has disappeared.

I also think you should offer some bucks and buy a few Petit Village vintages post 2014.

One simple question to you - how many wineries are there in Bordeaux?? Let's say 100 are consulted by Rolland out of ten thousands. And you say he's "terrorising" whole Bordeaux? Crappy statement.

I still don't understand why you people here are slating Lascombes?? Have anyone here on the forum tasted 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019? Very true Margaux style evident. Try to taste 2012 which costs small money and tell me what you think. I have tasted them all. Btw, both Dominique Befve, technical director and Michel Rolland arrived in 2001 at Lascombes. For me they started to make great wine beginning with 2005.

To follow Jeff comments, I baffled that some posters here imply that Stephane Derenencourt's consults wines are of the same style. Do you really mean that Beausejor Duffau is like Domaine de Chevalier like Canon La Gaffeliere like Pavie Macquin??

Domaine de Chevalier - frankly Ive great difficulty to understand some posters here implying that this estate makes boring wines. I have been lucky to taste vintages made by Claude Ricard and his uncle Beaumartin. Stephane Derenencourt arrived here in 2003 and I think he contributed to this wine having more personality and precision.

I think Jeff Leve's comments and question asked are very valid indeed.
Last edited by greatbxfreak on Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jeff Leve

Post by Jeff Leve »

OrlandoRobert wrote:
Jeff Leve wrote:
Change is not relevant, What is important is what is in the glass. That is how I look at every wine. The portion of Micro vinification is still quite small. And except for the fact that is bothers you, what is wrong with it? It adds a bit more roundness to the texture in its youth. Once it is blended and aged, you'd never know.

Here my friend, it is not I who is playing loose with the facts. Did you ever taste the wines of Petit Village with Derenoncourt? If you did, you would like them a lot more than I did and do.

As for Derenoncourt?What do you base your opinion on ? FWIW, he is a proponent of bio-dynamics, organic and self-sustaining farming. More so than any of the other consultants. Most of his work is in the vineyard. That is where he shines. So, what is your issue with him?
To steal your language, it “is what is in the glass”.

I simply do not like many of the wines where he consultants now or did before. And I certainly do not like what he has done with old faves, like Poujeaux. He has made some truly horrid wines at Sanctus, Lucia, Gagault, Gaffelliere, et al. I mean seriously, some bad wines. Larcis is better but still doesnt scratch my itch. And yes, some of these I tried, like you did, at release, and then again on my own 10-year retrospective. I own none of them now.

So yes, I judged Derenoncourt, like I did Rolland - way back then - on what they made, i.e., “what is in the glass”. I only learned later that they were involved. I learned enough from these failures to simply not want to buy another single wine that they touch. It does not matter if some of their wines are decent - for example, I liked (but would not actively buy) the 2005 Fourtet that I had recently - as I got burned way too many times. A simple rule for me is, do not buy any Bordeaux made by any modernist consultant, or which has ABV at 15 or higher. Sure, some decent wines my slide by my nose, so they got lost in the wash, but that is ok, as I can buy classics that work every time.

And you know what else I have an issue with? His website boasts that he consults with over 140 wineries, many of which are Bordeaux. That alone sorta grosses me out. Total homogenization of such a storied region.
Here, I get you. You have tasted the wine and come to a conslusion. That is fair. I noted you tasted and liked 2005 Clos Fourtet. I was happily surprised. I think you would also like Larcis Ducasse 2005.

Though your last comment seems harsh. Are you saying he should not be successful? That is the goal of most business owners. What is wrong with that? And no, all the wines he works are not alike.

FWIW, in the Left Bank, Eric Boissenot works with almost every top estate including I think 4 out of 5 First Growths. His influence is everywhere, as was his fathers before him, but you have no issue with that. Even if you do not, or did not know about Eric Boissenot, it is true.
stefan

Post by stefan »

>>
it saddens you that is has changed. How do you know?
>>
As I said, I have not tasted recent vintages. I am just going by what has been said here on BWE. I like the old DdC and tend not to like modern styled Bordeaux (e.g., I am not a fan of Pavie or Angelus, just to mention two that have garnered rave reviews from many). I'll try a young DdC sometime and maybe buy more if I like it and my life expectancy justifies the purchase.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Like you, Jeff, I am a capitalist. I’m also a businessman. For him, it’s great, and I do applaud successful businesses. For the consumer, I do lament that he’s that successful. I do not think it is good for Bordeaux.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Jeff Leve wrote:
Comte Flaneur wrote: I am sure Lillian Barton would not let Rolland anywhere near her estate.
Ian... And so what does that have to do with the price of tea in China? Over the past 10-15 years, Leoville Barton has changed. The wines are riper, the tannins and softer, the wine shows more polish and drinks well earlier. It is not the same at Langoa Barton. Yet, because it is not Rolland, you and others gloss over that point.

Jeff...I own more Leoville-Barton than any other wine...and in my opinion your characterisation of an alleged change in style is grossly misleading...I have spoken to both Lilian and more recently her son Damien about this and emphatically they have not fundamentally changed the house style...they aim for freshness and abhor over-ripeness...they are surprisingly disparaging towards their own 2003 ..and even surprisingly the 2005, which by their standards is a clumsy wine, and a ripe vintage. Of course they emphasise that they have to deal with the hand that nature deals them, and just like other producers they have to deal with warmer growing seasons. But there has been no deliberate or discrete change in style there. Leoville-Barton remains a stalwart.

A point I have made previously on this topic is that it appears that his influence is not the same for each estate he consults for.

This is completely true. It varies from place to place. There are some estates that hand him the keys. Others ask for help with blending. A few keep him on for a sounding board and disregard his advice.

Good we agree on that..

I have continued to buy Conseillante and Figeac because I take Cazaux and Faye at their word that Rolland only advises and doesn’t decide

You should buy the wines because you like them. They are different than what you find in other more recent years. Much better in my view. But you should be tasting them.

I have tasted all recent vintages of Figeac up to 2016 Jeff. The wine is riper now but not over-ripe in my opinion. Tasting the 2016 Figeac and Conseillante reassures me. I own multiple cases of it. Figeac is still a very good wine, but D’Aramon’s last vintage, 2011, is a treasure in my opinion. As an aside what do you think of Millery?

The impression I also have is that he is a disruptive influence, which appears to be why Laporte left and now recently why Jean-Michel Comme resigned from Pontet Canet.

That is 100% not true in either case.
Rolland’s presence at Pontet-Canet was a very sore point for Comme. He was surprisingly open about it when I spoke to him in 2015. Why would he leave otherwise? Jean-Michel was much more diplomatic about it. But reading between the lines it was patently clear that there was plenty of discord there too.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

Izak,
You are needlessly antagonizing people with your tone. There is no need to belittle them and what they say; although I don’t agree with most of what you say, what you are saying is of interest otherwise I wouldn’t bother reading it. This is after all just wine.

Jeff,
You will forgive me if I don’t agree with you. Not only do we have a long history of disagreement, but sometimes tasting a glass of the same wine. You do have a track record of liking wines I don’t, and statements like the greatest ever, don’t actually resonate for me. I have tasted Bordeaux extensively through the 2016 vintage, and have formed opinions that unless I am told of major changes do not have me teaching for my wallet to try the same type of beverage.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I guess that the BWE community is more found to Boissenot? He is consulting for 180 propriétés dont de nombreux crus en Médoc (Lafite Rothschild, Latour, Margaux, Mouton Rothschild, Léoville Las Cases, Léoville Barton, Ducru Beaucaillou, Grand puy Lacoste, Branaire Ducru, Rauzan Ségla, Sigalas Rabaud)...

I tried the 2015 Lascombes that was ok, but glossy, modern, juicy and oaky. In comparison, for my nose and palate, the 2015 La Lagune, Brane-Cantenac and RauzanSégla were "head and shoulders" above Lacombes. I guess this should be clear enough of what style i prefer.

Nic
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

And i agree that most of modern critic palates are kinda aligned on concentrate glossy plush and velvety Bordeaux. Like the Kylie Minogue song, critics seem to be looking for "love at first sigth" or "coup de foudre" or "chocolate cappucino fruity vanilla sex in a bottle". I include the critics with their website posting here in that post, in that category as well.

When your last high note for Gruaud Larose was the 1986 vintage, when you never considered La Lagune or Beychevelle making great wines before vintage 2014, when you still think that Magdelaine is a french actress, or when you never thought anything good about Bélair but changed your mind the year it became Bélair-Monange, you cannot understand the nose, palate, true claret lovers that are BWEers like OrlandoBobby, blanquito, stefan or comte flaneur.

Nic
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Kylie Minogue is so HOT!

Her music, not so much.
AKR

Post by AKR »

My kids play her Fever album constantly. Kind of amazing that its I think 20 years old now?

Notably, she attributes her career success and health vigor to consumption of Pomerol.

(sort of like Linus Pauling and mega dosage of vitamin C)
marcs

Post by marcs »

Nicklasss wrote: When your last high note for Gruaud Larose was the 1986 vintage, when you never considered La Lagune or Beychevelle making great wines before vintage 2014, when you still think that Magdelaine is a french actress, or when you never thought anything good about Bélair but changed your mind the year it became Bélair-Monange, you cannot understand the nose, palate, true claret lovers that are BWEers like OrlandoBobby, blanquito, stefan or comte flaneur.

Nic
ouch...damn, Nick bringing the high hard one
marcs

Post by marcs »

Blanquito wrote:I wouldn’t group DDC rouge with the ooze monsters really, it’s more a mid-modern style with some gloss and a certain homogenous style, but I don’t find them over the top. More boring and I’ve thoroughly cleaned those sort of wines from my cellar over the last few years.
This is an important distinction actually. Bordeaux has really changed in style since I think 2010. Especially in the left bank, obvious over-extraction and over-ripeness and glaringly high alcohol are out. But in many cases what has replaced it is not "classicism" exactly but a much smoother, glossier, and more "worked" style. I find these wines very plush and slick and somewhat boring. A good example is the 2015 Domaine de Chevalier, which I posted about earlier on the board -- see this thread:

https://www.bordeauxwineenthusiasts.com ... f=4&t=8037

I sense a lot of technology at play here but I couldn't say what it is, or what exact factors produce this kind of wine. Here critics have failed us, they don't do a good job helping us understand what is really happening with style changes.

Speaking of critics, some critics who were pretty resistant to the Parkerized overdone style have embraced the newer slick style. People like Keith Levenberg, who is a great writer and a very sharp guy but who I no longer totally trust on new release Bordeaux because he really raved over how awesome e.g. this 2015 DDC was (in fact he's the reason I tried it).
AKR

Post by AKR »

What a great interview. You can see how he confirms 2003's glories.

Also a huge cellar. 8000 btls! You'd think if it was his job that he would not need want that much around him all the time.

I wonder what Mme. Rolland says when he gets deliveries, or if she berates him over the clutter.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Yes a very good interview but it gives no real insight into how his wines will taste other than "round and generous."

Mention of the 2005 Clos Fourtet prompted me to open my first bottle of this. Rich, ripe, modern, glossy fruit but good balance and still some gritty tannins. A hint of VA, not enough to detract. Still young, no idea if it will turn into classic Bordeaux but it isn’t that now, so I have my doubts. I have a broad palate so plenty of love for wines like this as well as the classics, though my heart belongs to the classics.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Je suis un passionné de vins de Bordeaux.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

marcs wrote: Speaking of critics, some critics who were pretty resistant to the Parkerized overdone style have embraced the newer slick style. People like Keith Levenberg, who is a great writer and a very sharp guy but who I no longer totally trust on new release Bordeaux because he really raved over how awesome e.g. this 2015 DDC was (in fact he's the reason I tried it).
A very interesting point. I have been thinking on this one often.

Keith is a good friend. We communicate often, have even been to Berns together to enjoy some Holy Grails.

I have noticed - or perhaps I did not notice it before - a softening toward some wines that I would not have thought he would enjoy, modern DDC being one of them. Bobby Goulet has called this before. Keith is probably one of the most gifted wine writers that I have read, and I have always thought his palate is golden. I did a double-take on some recent notes of his, but went ahead and grabbed a few to make sure I’m not missing something. Time will tell. I did not grab the 2016 Cos, though. I honestly have never been disappointed with a wine I bought on his recommendation, so will approach these with an open mind. Just like I did the 2016 Les Carmes Haut Brion that Jeffois recommended to me. And Jeff was right on that one (I would not have scored it as highly, but it was damn fine, enough for me to seek more). I’m not a complete demagogue. Yes, I also thanked Jeff on WB.com.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Jeff Leve wrote:Stefan.. This is the stuff that I do not get. You have not tried recent vintages of the wine, but it saddens you that is has changed. How do you know? This sort of comments are all over wine boards, folks not liking wines they have not tried. FWIW, I think the recent vintages of DDC are the best in their history! The owner agrees. Of course you can say the owner has wine to sell, and what else will he say. But I find Oilvier Bernard to be a straight shooter. He could say it's great to help sell. But knowing him quite well, he would not say it is the best in their history if he did not mean it.
I get that you don’t agree with a change-for-thr-worse narrative at DDC, but based on this logic, no one should pay any attention to anyone’s tasting notes.
marcs

Post by marcs »

OrlandoRobert wrote:
marcs wrote: Speaking of critics, some critics who were pretty resistant to the Parkerized overdone style have embraced the newer slick style. People like Keith Levenberg, who is a great writer and a very sharp guy but who I no longer totally trust on new release Bordeaux because he really raved over how awesome e.g. this 2015 DDC was (in fact he's the reason I tried it).
A very interesting point. I have been thinking on this one often.

Keith is a good friend. We communicate often, have even been to Berns together to enjoy some Holy Grails.

I have noticed - or perhaps I did not notice it before - a softening toward some wines that I would not have thought he would enjoy, modern DDC being one of them. Bobby Goulet has called this before. Keith is probably one of the most gifted wine writers that I have read, and I have always thought his palate is golden. I did a double-take on some recent notes of his, but went ahead and grabbed a few to make sure I’m not missing something. Time will tell. I did not grab the 2016 Cos, though. I honestly have never been disappointed with a wine I bought on his recommendation, so will approach these with an open mind. Just like I did the 2016 Les Carmes Haut Brion that Jeffois recommended to me. And Jeff was right on that one (I would not have scored it as highly, but it was damn fine, enough for me to seek more). I’m not a complete demagogue. Yes, I also thanked Jeff on WB.com.
It is an interesting question. I have not tasted enough of the recent Bordeaux releases that Keith has been praising to really make a judgement. Also, these recent releases have not aged, which is the true test. But just because Keith is a spectacularly good writer (and he is, perhaps the sharpest and best pure stylist going in wine writing -- I really wish he would go back to essays and not just tasting notes) does not mean that tastes align. He is such a good writer that he can almost get you to set aside the boring questions of palate alignment when it is the most important issue for tasting notes. (That's another reason I wish he would get back to essays, that is more about pure writing skill).

For example, here is Blanquito on the 2016 Grand Puy Lacoste:
Ok, I didn't like this much. Too overripe, with a sickly rounded feel that several Pauillac showed that.
Now here is Keith:
95 points --expressive right away with scents of pencil fillings and gravel. It's deceptively easy-drinking, smooth and supple but infused with plenty of tannin. It's also infused with a cigarette smokiness so evocative that it starts feeling like a wine you'd drink in some seedy bar in a film noir while a neon "no vacancy" sign flickers overhead till you catch the eye of a dame in a long dress who spells nothing but trouble. Except that it's not entirely in B&W film stock because it does have a very fresh and pure impression of mildly zingy currant and raspberry behind that smoky gauze.
Little question who is the better writer here (sorry Blanquito)! But the choice on whether to buy the wine is a different thing...
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I prefer blanquito's writing. I can bash it more easily! :-)

Nic
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

This is going to be a major thread drift, but a topic worth exploring.

Palates change; physiologically they change with age, and It’s hard to predict where they will go. Parker for instance, demanded ever more spoof a spoofelated wines, and I saw the same thing happen to a wine group. It was a long standing group, many people there had been tasting together for twenty five thirty years. Suddenly they all were interested in 15% plus Zins.

My palate has become increasingly classical as I have aged, and I have seen that happen with a number of friends.
marcs

Post by marcs »

Musigny 151 wrote:This is going to be a major thread drift, but a topic worth exploring.

Palates change; physiologically they change with age, and It’s hard to predict where they will go. Parker for instance, demanded ever more spoof a spoofelated wines, and I saw the same thing happen to a wine group. It was a long standing group, many people there had been tasting together for twenty five thirty years. Suddenly they all were interested in 15% plus Zins.

My palate has become increasingly classical as I have aged, and I have seen that happen with a number of friends.
Worth starting a new thread on that, given its importance.

If what accounts for taste changes with age is a physiological process, then why do people go in such different directions (more spoofilated vs more classical)? Doesn't seem to make sense.

Are you sure it isn't just that people hone in on what they really like with more wine experience?
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

Blanquito,

You should be aware of the major fact - Cabernet Sauvignon can't be overripe as its growing DNA doesn't allow it - 79% of this grape variety in 2016 for Grand Puy Lacoste, remaining part is Merlot. There was no need in 2016 for low and high ranking chateaux to wait for additional ripening. The harvest was an easy one and lasted for a rather short time.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

greatbxfreak wrote:Blanquito,

You should be aware of the major fact - Cabernet Sauvignon can't be overripe as its growing DNA doesn't allow it - 79% of this grape variety in 2016 for Grand Puy Lacoste, remaining part is Merlot. There was no need in 2016 for low and high ranking chateaux to wait for additional ripening. The harvest was an easy one and lasted for a rather short time.
I am a little shocked by this. Of course it can and does get overripe. Every fruit is capable of overripeness, but I suspect you were talking that the alcohol tends to be lower even when overripe. You may want to taste some of the California “Ooze” monsters. Good vintage to start 1997. Nasty stuff.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Musigny 151 wrote:

You should be aware of the major fact - Cabernet Sauvignon can't be overripe as I love big rich high alcohol Cab - 79% of this grape variety in 2016 for Grand Puy Lacoste, remaining part is Merlot. There was no need in 2016 for low and high ranking chateaux to wait for additional ripening. The harvest was an easy one and lasted for a rather short time.
I am a little shocked by this. Of course it can and does get overripe. Every fruit is capable of overripeness, but I suspect you were talking that the alcohol tends to be lower even when overripe. You may want to taste some of the California “Ooze” monsters. Good vintage to start 1997. Nasty stuff.

FIFY, does this help?

I think this pretty much highlights where we are at in our discussions. To me it is astonishing to read a self-proclaimed wine blogger actually post this amazing comment in another wine forum. Normally we are discussing opinions; this is a total statement of fact. Erroneous, too. Every fruit is capable of overripeness, including Cab. Fly over to California and taste through a line-up of the big boys and cults. You actually may like them, Izak, but so many floating at 15% and above, totally over-ripe. I stopped drinking them well before Bordeaux started following Parker’s late-in-life fixation with over-ripe wines.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I readily bow to Keith’s writing prowess, he has few rivals, but you did really cherry-pick one of my haiku notes there Marcus! That note was from the UGC night when I tasted 50+ wines and so I only gave quick hot-takes.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

I never heard of or read about any grape varietal not getting overripe!!

Maybe gbf meant that Cabernet takes longer time to ripen than other varietals?? :roll:
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

OrlandoRobert wrote:
Musigny 151 wrote:

You should be aware of the major fact - Cabernet Sauvignon can't be overripe as I love big rich high alcohol Cab - 79% of this grape variety in 2016 for Grand Puy Lacoste, remaining part is Merlot. There was no need in 2016 for low and high ranking chateaux to wait for additional ripening. The harvest was an easy one and lasted for a rather short time.

Normally we are discussing opinions; this is a total statement of fact. Erroneous, too.
In strict lawyer speak, “if something is erroneous, can that be a fact?” :? :)
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

So wait...Cab can't become overripe?...phew what a relief!!

Let's all go back to Defcon5

Drunk :?
stefan

Post by stefan »

Mark, when I tasted a bunch of 1997 CA cabs way back I thought that they all tasted the same ("ooze monsters" is a great description) and bought very few. When I drank some 10-15 years later, they still all tasted the same. They had toned down a bit, but they stilled stained my teeth. I prefer 1998 CA cabs, which were mostly dished by critics.

As for as tastes changing with age, I find that I am now more tolerant of very fruity wines even if I still prefer classically styled Bordeaux. I assume that is due to less sensitive taste buds.

Izak, I cannot make any sense out of your comment, "Cabernet Sauvignon can't be overripe as its growing DNA doesn't allow it".
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

That's what I've been told by several chateau owners through the years. It's not a definition I've created by myself.

Yes, it's normally last grape variety to be harvested, sometimes Petit Verdot is later.

Cabernet Sauvignon is a variety which needs a good portion of water to reach full ripeness, so maybe that's what chateau owners have in mind saying " can't be overripe". Because they have to be careful not have the grapes hanging on vines too long.
Last edited by greatbxfreak on Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

stefan wrote:Mark, when I tasted a bunch of 1997 CA cabs way back I thought that they all tasted the same ("ooze monsters" is a great description) and bought very few. When I drank some 10-15 years later, they still all tasted the same. They had toned down a bit, but they stilled stained my teeth. I prefer 1998 CA cabs, which were mostly dished by critics.

As for as tastes changing with age, I find that I am now more tolerant of very fruity wines even if I still prefer classically styled Bordeaux. I assume that is due to less sensitive taste buds.

Izak, I cannot make any sense out of your comment, "Cabernet Sauvignon can't be overripe as its growing DNA doesn't allow it".
Stefan,
Strangely enough the 1997 Philip Togni May be the best wine he has ever made. The only exception to a horrible in Napa, that caught the imagination of many in the wine media.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

greatbxfreak wrote:That's what I've been told by several chateau owners through the years. It's not a definition I've created by myself.

Yes, it's normally last grape variety to be harvested, sometimes Petit Verdot is later.

Cabernet Sauvignon is a variety which needs a water to fully ripen, so maybe that's what chateau owners have in mind saying " can't be overripe".
Izak,
Please tell us which winemakers told you that? And why didn’t you challenge them at the time? It’s a patently ridiculous thing to say.

Every varietal needs water to ripen.

That is why in incredibly hot weather, the vines just shut down.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Oh boy, now I’m obsessing about buying a couple bottles of 2016 La Conseillante at $228 per bottle. Or perhaps a whole case?
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Now here’s one my more standard-length notes, and apropos of this thread as well:
Blanquito wrote:2005 The Winemakers' Collection Michel Rolland Cuvée No. 1 Château d'Arsac (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Haut-Médoc), 12/12/2011 — Wow, it's not every day you get to smell and drink (and spit!) liquid oak... crazy new oak bouquet redolent of fresh coconut, star anise, vanilla, espresso grounds, and finishing with a burnt-acrid note. If I considered this bouquet "wine", I would hate it, but if I think of it as a scented candle, it puts me in a certain holiday frame of mind... the palate isn't nearly as oaky as the bouquet, rather it is distinguished by its silky smooth mouthfeel, and while sweet, it's not particularly heavy. I often get this disconnect in Rolland's wines, where the nose is garish with oak and fruit, and then the taste isn't as extreme as you'd expect. Still, I'm not sure I like it per se, it's so smooth there must be some serious tannin management here given the vintage (micro-bullage anyone?) and some acrid oak kicks in on the finish. A modern "masterpiece" par excellence, leaving me longing for the olden days (I poured the rest down the sink). Gotta love the label though! 75 pts
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Serves you right for even trying that dreg, Blanquito!!! ;)
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Here’s said label:
Attachments
E924AAB0-4011-4214-B49D-A902182815D2.jpeg
E924AAB0-4011-4214-B49D-A902182815D2.jpeg (24.02 KiB) Viewed 860 times
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

OrlandoRobert wrote:Serves you right for even trying that dreg, Blanquito!!! ;)
Lesson learned, I can assure you! Parker gave it 93 pts and it was going cheap on WineBid, so I thought I’d give one a whirl. It was undrinkably horrible, I still shutter thinking about it.