La Conseillante with Marielle Cazaux

Chateau Vin

Re: La Conseillante with Marielle Cazaux

Post by Chateau Vin »

Blanquito wrote:Here’s said label:
Hmmm...The man puts his own picture to sell the wine...Akin to Oprah Magazine. Not a single Oprah Magazine edition is printed without Oprah herself on the cover page... :roll:

There is nothing wrong in using one's name or picture to sell something. But at the same time, one has to acknowledge that the product is being measured more by the name on it than by the quality of the product itself...
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

greatbxfreak wrote:That's what I've been told by several chateau owners through the years. It's not a definition I've created by myself.

Yes, it's normally last grape variety to be harvested, sometimes Petit Verdot is later.

Cabernet Sauvignon is a variety which needs a good portion of water to reach full ripeness, so maybe that's what chateau owners have in mind saying " can't be overripe". Because they have to be careful not have the grapes hanging on vines too long.
gbf,

I don't doubt a bit what the chateaux owners have told you. Maybe they intended to convey a different meaning, but came out a different way. Or just simply was lost in translation.

But I don't agree that Cab cannot get overripe. Sure, it takes longer time to ripen than other varietals like merlot or pinot, but every varietal can get overripe. Ripening involves lowering of acids and increasing of sugars. The ripening also is not just about water. As you might know, other conditions such as warm/mild weather (including hot/cool weather during day/night times and the variation) also affect the ripening. The vineyard management techniques involving canopy, pruning and number of clusters per vine also affect the ripening and ripening quality. And then there is the whole other ball game of vinification techniques that affect the overall ripeness of the wine...

In fact, I would argue that there is more room to play with ripeness when it comes to cabernet. Cabernet takes longer time to ripen, and more time is available to make the decision when to pick the grapes compared to other varietals such as merlot or pinot.

Also, we haven't even touched upon whole other stuff involving ripeness-- the phenolic ripeness, which can be a separate discussion...

Having said that, every palate of winemaker or final consumer is different. What is ripe for someone might not be so for someone else, or it can be even overripe for others...
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Every Friday there is a local group blind tasting here locally in Orlando...I have been attending for the last 11 yrs...I vividly remember one afternoon when I experienced something horrific....I remember the fancy bag it was in and the weight of the bottle, I remember the dark rich color...I was anxious to place my lips to the glass, so I delved in and sipped and swirled this weighty wine...that's when I began to shudder...Oh.My.Fuqn.God

The group then proceeds to rotate around the table asking what each tasters thoughts ...old/new world?...
the yr?...region?...grapes?...tasting description?..etc.... I couldn't wait for my turn...My response to the group was that this wine tasted like an overripe (if that's even possible) version of the $12 supermarket stalwart McManis, but lathered in a fancier oak instead of oak chips or particle board or whatever the fuq they use to poison the consumer...I declared it one of the worst wines I have ever tasted in a blind tasting (maybe even nonblind) and poured out my glass...can't say the owner of the bottle was too pleased with my unvarnished opinion but, it needed to be said ...the wine?...well I'll let drunk Bob tell the rest of the story....

RP97Robert Parker's Wine Advocate
The 2007 Cabernet Sauvignon Aida Vineyard (90% Cabernet Sauvignon and the rest Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot aged 20 months in 100% French oak) is a La Mission Haut-Brion look-alike. Burning ember, scorched earth, blackberry, smoked herb, and sweet cassis fruit characteristics are all present in this full-bodied, dense, concentrated offering

2007 Vineyard 29 Aids declared a La mish look-a-like? Am I getting fuqn punked?....Bobs was clearly off the meds this day. I am actually going on the record to declare that Robert Parker needs to come out and apologize to La Mission Haut Brion for such egregious coments...ya here that Bobby? Lol

...and here are the winemakers notes

Winemaker Notes
The 2007 offering of Aida Estate Cabernet opens with a nose of luxurious milk chocolate and chocolate covered cherries followed by ripe blackberries and sweet cassis. On the palate, this harmonious synergy of deep red and black fruits surrounds a structured core of graphite, burning embers and tar. The finish lingers and will have you musing over this wine long after the last sip is taken.

Price tag? $125-$150 ....ummmm what??

This wine put on an absolute clinic for what overripe cab should look like...it was an absolute travesty of epic proportions...the wine didn't even have one redeeming quality about it...it actually still haunts me to this day, 8yrs later.

Sorry Izak but, Cab like any grape can become ridiculously overripe...sir, I think someone sold u a load of B.S.
Last edited by robert goulet on Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

robert goulet wrote:Every Friday there is a local group blind tasting here locally in Orlando...I have been attending for the last 11 yrs...I vividly remember one afternoon when I experienced something horrific....I remember the fancy bag it was in and the weight of the bottle, I remember the dark rich color...I was anxious to place my lips to the glass, so I delved in and sipped and swirled this weighty wine...that's when I began to shudder...Oh.My.Fuqn.God

The group then proceeds to rotate around the table asking what each taster thought it was...old/new world?...
the yr?...region?...grapes? ...tasting description?..etc.... I couldn't wait to for my turn...My response to the group was that this wine tasted like an overripe (if that's even possible) version of the $12 supermarket stalwart McManis, but lathered in a fancier oak instead of oak chips or particle board or whatever the fuq they use to poison the consumer...I declared it one of the worst wines I have ever tasted in a blind tasting (maybe even nonblind) and poured out my glass...can't day the owner of the bottle was too pleased with my unvarnished opinion but, it needed to be said ...the wine?...well I'll let drunk Bob tell the rest of the story....

RP97Robert Parker's Wine Advocate
The 2007 Cabernet Sauvignon Aida Vineyard (90% Cabernet Sauvignon and the rest Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot aged 20 months in 100% French oak) is a La Mission Haut-Brion look-alike. Burning ember, scorched earth, blackberry, smoked herb, and sweet cassis fruit characteristics are all present in this full-bodied, dense, concentrated offering

2007 Vineyard 29 Aids declared a La mish look-a-like? Am I getting fuqn punked?....Bobs was clearly off the meds this day. I am actually going on the record to declare that Robert Parker needs to come out and apologize to La Mission Haut Bruno or such egregious coments...ya here that Bobby? Lol

...and here are the winemakers notes

Winemaker Notes
The 2007 offering of Aida Estate Cabernet opens with a nose of luxurious milk chocolate and chocolate covered cherries followed by ripe blackberries and sweet cassis. On the palate, this harmonious synergy of deep red and black fruits surrounds a structured core of graphite, burning embers and tar. The finish lingers and will have you musing over this wine long after the last sip is taken.

Price tag? $125-$150 ....ummmm what??

This wine put on an absolute clinic for what overripe cab should look like...it was an absolute travesty of epic proportions...the wine didn't even have one redeeming quality about it...it actually still haunts me to this day, 8yrs later.

Sorry Izak but, Cab like any grape can become ridiculously overripe...sir, I think someone sold u a load of B.S.
To be fair to Bob, he said LaMish-look alike, not Lamish-taste alike....
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

How do they look alike? ;)
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Not cab but.....1998 Troplong Mondot 13% alc....2010 16% :shock:

They had (I believe) the 2012 Vintage of Clos de Sarpe here discounted significantly at a local retailer...so what the hell I grabbed one and got in line...as I was waiting I started glancing over the label...I paused in shock as I saw the 16% printed...What in the name of prune juice is going on here? I quickly removed myself and returned the bottle to its proper place, nowhere near me.

Buy Bordeaux they said...it will be fun they said...belch..SMH
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

JimHow wrote:Oh boy, now I’m obsessing about buying a couple bottles of 2016 La Conseillante at $228 per bottle. Or perhaps a whole case?
Jim there is no point in just buying one or two bottles. You should at least buy half a case.

I think it will catapult to the top of the JH woty stakes, and you will regret only buying one or two if the offer lapses.

David G and I both own a six pack so you will be in good company...
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

Comte Flaneur wrote:
JimHow wrote:Oh boy, now I’m obsessing about buying a couple bottles of 2016 La Conseillante at $228 per bottle. Or perhaps a whole case?
Jim there is no point in just buying one or two bottles. You should at least buy half a case.

I think it will catapult to the top of the JH woty stakes, and you will regret only buying one or two if the offer lapses.

David G and I both own a six pack so you will be in good company...
I will pile on. Also suggest you buy half bottles if you can find them.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ok, ok, they have 6 cases in NH, I'll buy at least 6 bottles.
Now... what to do about 2016 GPL at $84 per bottle....
marcs

Post by marcs »

Not to be contrarian but in my small taste of 2016 Conseillante at a tasting I was not as impressed. It was BIG, structured, tannic, and to me lacked this ease, lightness, and charm I have always found in young Conseillante. So maybe a good wine but didn't seem to have what I go to Conseillante for.

The 05 is pretty structured as well so maybe it will turn out like that which will of course be a great outcome...
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

So much for Parker not having any influence over a wine's style [from the Decanter interview with Michel Rolland]:

"How did you get the job with Simi?

It was my first overseas job and I owe it to Robert Parker. He was tasting at Simi in 1985 and thought that although the Chardonnays were fine, there were problems with the reds. He suggested they use a consultant and recommended me."