BWE has landed in College Station, Teyxsasss

JimHow

BWE has landed in College Station, Teyxsasss

Post by JimHow »

Agent How reporting from the estate of Stefan and Lucie Johnson.
We are joined by Jal and Jill, who arrived yesterday.
Last night they drank some Burgundies and Champagnes.
Lunch by the pool entailed a couple white Burgs.
Tonight, some fine northern Medocs will be uncorked, including yet another rematch between two aging old friends from 1989.
Details and photos to come....
tim

Re: BWE has landed in College Station, Teyxsasss

Post by tim »

Excellent! It is good to see BWE folks getting together again!

Looking forward to the report.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Couldn’t agree anymore and curious to see what wine is going up against the ‘89 Lynch on this fine September evening?
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Waiting!!
Danny
stefan

Post by stefan »

Great battle of the Bordeaux Titans last night. The 18th fight between the 1989 Purple Baron and 1989 L-B, promoted by a famous attorney and world traveller. We also had the Rothchild cousins represented by 1998 Mouton and 2002 Lafite.

Jimmie will report on the fight when he comes out of his coma.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Good to read that some BWEers are gathering, in these tough times.

We also had 4 friends at home and went though... 5 whites and 5 reds... ish.

Nic
William P

Post by William P »

it's sounds like a great evening. Looking forward to the results. Greetings to all the participants.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

We are going strong, just finished a Sunday morning brunch with 2008 Veuve Cliquot Grand Dame and 2008 Cristal.

I got in yesterday, we had 1997 Ramonet Puligny-Montrachet Champs Canet en magnum and 2017 Jacques Carillon Puligny-Montrachet Les Champs Canet with lunch, for dinner it was:
1989 Lynch Bages vs. 1989 Pichon Baron in blind format, then 2002 Lafite and 1998 Mouton.
1988 La Tour Blanche with dessert.

Jacques and Jill arrived on Friday and on Friday night they had:

2009 Pol Roger
2006 Copinet Champagne
2002 Ponsot Clos de la Roche Cuvée Vielles Vignes
2002 Rousseau Clos de la Roche
2004 Drouhin Musigny

Tonight I understand we are drinking Graves and right bank Bordeaux.

Everyone is looking resplendent, a spectacular venue here in College Station, Teyxsasssss.

I'll supply a lot more details and pictures soon, just taking a quick break from the festivities.
Tremendous to see Jan, Bill, Jill, and Jacques, everyone looking happy and healthy, we are receiving great Texas hospitality.

Long live BWE!
Attachments
IMG_4425.jpg
IMG_4425.jpg (117.08 KiB) Viewed 1609 times
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Come on stefan, tell us who won between the two 1989?

I'm not asking Jim as i know he likes to trick everything in blind tasting results... just like any benevolent dictator in the World.

Nic
stefan

Post by stefan »

It was a very close fight with an amusing twist. Jimmie will reveal all in due course. Right now I have to figure out what Bdx goes well with humus and Mexican pita (tortillas).
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Sipping on a divine 1978 Cheval Blanc with cheese....
A stunning nose of spice and tobacco, elegant. Wow.
Attachments
IMG_4429.jpg
IMG_4429.jpg (114.57 KiB) Viewed 1553 times
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Nice people! Makes me remember the last Zoom meeting.

Nic
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Tonight we had 1985 La Lagune and 1978 Cheval Blanc with cheese.
And with dinner, 1998 Figeac, 1998 Clinet, 1998 La Mission Haut Brion, and 2001 Lafaurie Peyraguey.
Sigh, back to reality tomorrow.... Another epic BWE weekend in College Station.
Will provide more details from the airport.
Attachments
IMG_4435.jpg
IMG_4435.jpg (239.21 KiB) Viewed 1482 times
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

That’s an outstanding selection of wines, you are all looking very well
Last edited by Comte Flaneur on Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Nice to see everyone safe, happy, and looks like you drank very well this weekend at another classic BWE offline. A little envious but for now happy to stay in our own little bubble. Still waiting to hear the story out the battle of 89 and its outcome. Don't tell me Jim screwed up again in the blind tasting and called the PB #1.
Danny
jckba

Post by jckba »

Well done indeed as that is a tremendous lineup of fine wines and I am fully looking forward to hearing about the standouts.
stefan

Post by stefan »

It is a funny story, Danny. Jimmie will tell all, I think. If not, Jacques and I will give the true story.

No corked wines this weekend! The 1998 La Mission Haut Brion had a weird acetone nose ("nail polish", Jacques said) that did not change even overnight. But the taste was proper. The 1978 Cheval Blanc exceeded my expectations (this was the only time I have drunk one); a real charmer; as did the 1984 Drouhin Musigny, which had that mystical bouquet that only Musigny has. All other wines were at least met expectations, which were high. Best of all, the company was fantastic. It was great to get together with Jacques, Jill, and Jim after months of mostly isolation. Our next outing with them will be virtual, but we hope to meet again within the coming year either in Florida or Israel.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Great to see a bunch of happy BWEs together. Well done!

So what is air travel like these days?
AKR

Post by AKR »

That is great woodwork in stefan's house. One hardly ever sees that out here in tract suburbia.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Travel has been very smooth, about what you would expect, the airports are slow but significantly more activity than the depressing sight I saw at Laguardia in March when things were completely shutting down. Still, though, it's pretty sad. Masks, social distancing, etc., but flights on time as advertised.

I arrived on Saturday just in time for lunch, it was great to see the BWE gang, I've been in heavy isolation in Maine for the past six months. We'd been talking about doing this for a while since we last did it with the Daytons back in 2016. Everyone was looking great and in good spirits, the Johnson back yard is a little piece of heaven. Thanks to Jan and Bill for all the Teyxsasss hospitality!

The wines were all very interesting, that 1997 white Burg with lunch on Saturday was a revelation, still in great shape, the deeper yellow color a contrast with the much lighter 2017.

The blind tasting was interesting. The bottles were wrapped in tinfoil, first by Jill, and then numbered by Jan, out of the presence of the rest of us to ensure no Texas voter fraud shenanigans. Both were showing their great Pauillac character, still both very youthful. Bill uncorked them about 4 hours before the tasting. Bottle #1 had a bright purple color and was more distinctive on the nose, Bottle #2 was more reticent. We polled the participants one at a time, Jan went first and voted for bottle #1. Next was Jill, who voted for bottle #2. Bill went next, and picked bottle #1. Jacques was up next, he likewise picked bottle #1. So, by the time it got to me, Bottle #1 was the winner, regardless of how I voted. As bottle #1 was clearly the superior wine, and thus obviously the Lynch, I voted for #2 out of sympathy to make the score a more respectable 3 to 2, out of respect for the honorable old warrior, the Purple Baron. Indeed, as the wines were unveiled, Bottle #1 was indeed the Lynch, Bottle #2 the Purple Baron.

It was another epic blind tasting, now 20 years after the first of numerous battles between the two at the first BWE convention in Chicago in 2001, at which Stefan and Lucie were present.
Twenty years later, the Lynch is still defeating the valiant purple Baron. Thank you, Jacques and Jill, for bringing the Baron for another entertaining if predictable outcome.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Jimmie of course left out the funniest aspect of the taste off. We were not supposed to try to guess the identity of the wines, but both Jim and I opined that #2 was the Lynch and gave supporting reasoning for our opinions. Qualitatively these two great wines were equal IMO. #2 had some nice spice and a nice greenness that made it slightly more interesting while #1 had great balance and great power at the same time.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Sounds like they were quite evenly matched...and still on the young side?

How were the Mouton and the Lafite and the 2002 GC burgs?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Both still very young, the Baron was a little more evolved, the Lynch is a beast, it will last 100 years.
The two first growths showed their breed, the 2002 Lafite was more interesting on Day 2, a classic, restrained cedary beauty as you would expect from Lafite in the vintage, it's always a thrill for me to drink a Lafite, there was a little left in the bottle and we revisited it, it had had 24 hours of air and was still going strong. Seriously, if anyone ever drinks this wine, uncork it 24 hours earlier. The Mouton was big and tannic, not real complicated, but solid fruit and structure, delicious with the red meat served medium rare, unmistakably Mouton, if not epic. Both wines need at least a double blanquito, but great fun to drink nonetheless.
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

Sounds like a great weekend. I miss you guys!

I especially appreciate the detailed notes on the 2002 Lafite. My single experience was similar - tastes like Lafite, needs more time. Not surprising. I think Latour will be ready before Lafite in 2002.

SF Ed
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Indeed, I said to the guys, this is an SF Ed kind of wine.
It will reward patience, it is a classic.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Wonderful stuff, team. Sounds like how the 89 Lynch and Baron showed in Denver — both wonderful, the Baron more open.

How was the 85 Lagune? That wine has wildly over-performed in my experience a few times in blind lineups.
stefan

Post by stefan »

It was very good, Patrick, even if not among the best bottles of 1985 that I have drunk. 1985 was a fine vintage for La Lagune IMO; better than e.g. 1986 and 1983.

Both Clos de la Roche 2002 were first rate, as one would expect from Ponsot and Rouseau. The Rousseau is further along and finer at this point, while the Ponsot was more concentrated and intense. The Rousseau will probably peak within a blanquito or two, while the Ponsot needs at least two blanquitoes to reach full maturity.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yeah that 85 La Lagune and 78 Cheval Blanc combination with the cheese was a highlight, two very expressive bouquets.
The La Lagune was stern but in a good way, it was a classic, true to form Medoc.
jal

Post by jal »

Just made it back home after a spectacular weekend. Many many thanks to Stefan and Lucie, it was great to see Jim finally relax a little, and I could do some cannonballs in a pool without having the condo association manager give me dirty looks (though I was pretty rusty, lol).

We arrived Friday evening and had a wonderful cheese platter with two champagnes:
2009 Pol Roger with a fine vibrant mousse, complex with a very distinct nose of brioche, splendid! 93
2006 Copinet Brut Marie, Monsieur Leonard which Jill claims is her kind of champagne, I liked it well enough but Jill loved the depth of flavor and the refinement. 91
Later we had Burgundy night with some delicious grilled quails and rice pilaf with mushrooms:
2004 (not 1984) Drouhin Musigny had a phenomenal nose of candy and flowers, light colored, no hint of the 2004 green meanies, light on its feet but complex and long. The best red Burg I've had this year and my wine of the weekend at the risk of getting kicked off BWE! 96
2002 Rousseau and 2002 Ponsot Clos de La Roche; both excellent but after the delicate Musigny, these two are brutes, power and depth with very little refinement. Clearly needed a lot more time, with the Rousseau slightly more evolved but that's not really saying much. 91 both
With dessert Bill opened a 1988 La Tour Blanche, deep golden color, resolved and balanced, I love 1988 Sauternes and this did not disappoint. 92

Saturday lunch, Jim arrived and we had a Salade Niçoise with quail leftovers and opened two Puligny Montrachet Champs Canets, a magnum of 1997 Ramonet with a deep yellow color, it was a bit shocked at first but opened up after a few minutes; nose of ripe pears, onctuous palate, good balance, nice finish, a bit older than I would have liked it but very tasty nonetheless, and a 2017 Jacques Carillon with a light pale yellow green color; great contrast and this guy is focused and vibrant but the fruit was hiding and clearly needed some more time. I should have brought a 2018 instead as I think these were more ready. 90 for the 1997, 91 for the 2017 (mainly for the potential)

Saturday evening and the main event; with excellent hanger steaks and roasted potatoes we had the two contenders prepped as Jim explained. Here we have some alternative facts and fake news coming into play, but I will let history and the conscience of the tasters be the judge as to what really happened. We all know the truth in our heart :D :D
Let me just say that I had a really hard time choosing between the two wines, they were both excellent with several years ahead of them and only decided to pick wine #1 aka Lynch Bages when I saw my glass almost empty while there was a little more Pichon Baron in my other glass. I thought then that since I drank more of it, then I must have loved it more. Not the most scientific method, but the best I could do under pressure.
In any case and to everyone's relief :D and to no one's surprise when Jim is present ;) , the 1989 Lynch Bages beat the 1989 Pichon Baron yet again, I would score both of these 94

The 1998 Mouton and the 2002 Lafite were both excellent and both could benefit from more time, but honestly I remember tasting these wines in the past and enjoying them more, maybe my palate is changing, or maybe there was some barometric pressure at play at that exact instant. 96 for both of these on a subdued evening where the Lafite showed a point better the following day
We finished with some excellent pots de creme and some more fantastic La Tour Blanche that Bill had saved with a Repour

Champagne brunch on Sunday with two fantastic 2008 Champagnes; the wonderful Veuve Cliquot La Grande Dame; beautiful, complex and delicious, much better than a bottle I had a few months back and I actually preferred it to the precise and focused Cristal to my great surprise. 95 to the Dame, 94 to the Cristal

A nice relaxing break and with cheese, homemade guacamole and homemade hummus we had at around 5 pm some more Bordeaux:
1978 Cheval Blanc, with a nose to die for, leather and earth, color is bright light ruby with some bricking at the edges and a wonderful texture, 93. The 1985 La Lagune was also excellent, I had opened that same wine ten days ago and that bottle was shot, it was good to enjoy a good bottle of the wine. A typical La Lagune with earth and cedar on the nose and some plums on the palate, a few dusty tannins bring out the earthiness on the finish. 91

We moved on to dinner and BIll had opened a few hours previously the three wines; we had a representative from St Emilion, Pomerol and Graves.
With some yummy grilled chicken thighs, the 1998 Figeac was stunning from the get go; beautiful purple color, very aromatic, layered and complex, with a long sweet finish. My favorite that evening and an easy 95. The 1998 Clinet was quite good, correct and a typical Pomerol but it seemed a bit subdued (or maybe I was getting some palate fatigue and only the fruity wines were making and impression) 90. The 1998 La Mission I have had many times and this one was strange, with a weird alcoholic nose, some strange flavors that made no sense, it eventually calmed down and tasted like a Graves, but to be honest, I have enjoyed previous bottles of this a lot more. 88 for the weird palate 92 for the taste
We finished with some fruit and another excellent Sauternes the 2001 Lafaurie Peyraguey, typical of the great year, it has a wonderful balance of sweetness and acidity. Lovely! 93

21 wines in 3 evenings, a typical BWE outing, what an amazing group of friends. Thanks Bill and Jan for the incredible hospitality, BWE friendship is strong in the time of Covid, so glad we could get this done and I can't wait to see everyone again.
Best

Jacques
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Lol, dad, it’s been the most relaxing summer of my career, and when I’m working hard it is at a job I love. The Lynch defeated the Baron and remains undefeated in the great two decade rivalry, although it is not much of a rivalry when one side always wins. The champagnes with brunch were a lot of fun, I have decided I will only drink those 2008 Cristals with BWEers. 1998 Figeac was indeed stunning as Jacques says, I’ve been honored to drink that wine about 3-4 times at BWE affairs, so complex, spicy, brilliant on the nose. Both the Figeac and Clinet were right bank treats, but even I thought they could benefit from another blanquito or two. And though the nose on the 98 La Mission was bizarre, I thoroughly enjoyed it on the palate and, again, it is a wine that will grow for another 10-20 years.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Great to see the tradition carried on. Well done! I’m down to 1 bottle of the 1989 Baron but have a few of the Lynch left. Like Jim and the 2008 Cristal, I’ll save the 1989 Lynch for BWE events.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I see the 09 Pol Roger for $79, seems like a good price for a bubbly drinking better (for now) than the 08 Cristal.
jal

Post by jal »

Actually Patrick, the Grande Dame was to my mind better than the Cristal, not the Pol Roger (which was also excellent btw)
Opinions can differ, let's see what Jim and Bill have to say
Best

Jacques
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Good point, Jacques. So I checked and the 08 Grande Dame starts at $120 (and the 09 begins at $200!), while the 09 Pol Roger is $79. Is the Grande Dame >$40 better?
jal

Post by jal »

It was interesting, Patrick. The Grande Dame performed much better than the time I had it before, the Cristal worse, the Pol Roger was excellent. It could be because of bottle shock (Jim brought the Cristal, the other two Champagnes were Bill's)

I really don't know if that was an aberration or not. But I only buy the Grande Dame because Jill loves it, so I will test it again.
Best

Jacques
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

JimHow wrote:Agent How reporting from the estate of Stefan and Lucie Johnson.
We are joined by Jal and Jill, who arrived yesterday.
Last night they drank some Burgundies and Champagnes.
Lunch by the pool entailed a couple white Burgs.
Tonight, some fine northern Medocs will be uncorked, including yet another rematch between two aging old friends from 1989.
Details and photos to come....
As the battle goes on between 89 lynch and 89 purple baron, I predict that the next frontier of the battle between the two Pauillacs will be 09 vintages.

IMHO, in 09, lynch and purple baron made stellar wines. Although few years back I thought purple baron was just a whisker ahead of lynch, time will tell how each one would fare, starting say 5 years from now...
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

JimHow wrote:It was another epic blind tasting, now 20 years after the first of numerous battles between the two at the first BWE convention in Chicago in 2001, at which Stefan and Lucie were present.
Twenty years later, the Lynch is still defeating the valiant purple Baron. Thank you, Jacques and Jill, for bringing the Baron for another entertaining if predictable outcome.
I remember one victory of the Purple Baron, at the Thursday night dinner in San Francisco. But this is the only time I've seen the Baron win. All the other times, it has been the Lynch.

And no Jal, no shame on you because your favorite was the Musigny. Musigny is my favorite Bourgogne wine.

Nic
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Lest we forget, Nic’s Purple Baron ran away with the fight in SanFran ‘17:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7107&hilit=2002+Pol ... ncs#p58715
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Not the only PB win Nic. If I recall a few controversial outcomes included DC in the basement of Tom's house when the BD called the PB the undisputed victor in the blind tasting until the reveal and then in Chicago there was a voting error/ chad mishap or something about a faulty mail in vote at Bin 36. Regardless both are great wines and I admire the craftiness of the country lawyer from Maine's spin on the evidence at hand to turn the tide!! :D :mrgreen: ;) :lol:
Danny