Moscou and Chianti

Nicklasss

Moscou and Chianti

Post by Nicklasss »

Last night, dinner with friends, as it will not be possible for the coming weeks, starting this night.

I opened a 2015 Chemin de Moscou, Vin de Pays d'Oc from Domaine Gayda. Mainly syrah, with bit of grenache and cinsault. This was excellent, among the strong wines of Languedoc i had in the last 10 years. What is amazing, was the infused terroir in that wine. A superb classic fruit, rasberries and cherries, with a great mineral touch. Also some cinnamon, light cocoa, and even blackberries. The mouth is controlled, on strong flavors of soil (that i appreciate), smoky cherries, spices and light vegetal touch. Complex, with that exotic oaky spice on the long final. Tn: 92.

Tonight, with tomato sauce spaghetti with meatballs, opened a 2016 Falco de'Neri Chianti classico riserva. This is nice, with 10% canaiolo that give i guess a tobacco/ strong cherry edge to the wine. More in mouth, less on the nose, some spicy flowers and strong red berry flavors. Good woody tannins, good freshness, kind of perfumed candle taste. Length is limited. Unfortunately, the nose is quite limited with spirity cherries and something like dry saucisson. Time should help the nose. Tn: 88. Maybe I need to get back to red Bordeaux?

Cheers,

Nic
AKR

Re: Moscou and Chianti

Post by AKR »

Those are good vintages for both those regions. It's hard to go wrong with any 2016 CCR.

I had a super 1997 La Bresseca Vino Nobile de Montepuliciano a few weeks ago. The aromatic complexity was excellent. I realize most don't age their Chianti (and cousins) but in some cases they can keep well, and improve.
Claret

Post by Claret »

I have come full circle with Italian reds, starting with Barolo as a college waiter and now with enhanced knowledge and appreciation of the many wonderful food/wine possibilities. I wish I had paid more attention to our Italian portfolio when I sold wine at Martin Scott.

My house red at the moment is 12 Valiano CC. A single vineyard wine drinking very well now. CC is more consistent than Chianti and they seldom disappoint.

I have a new appreciation for Italian whites including Soave, Vernaccia and the Sicilian varietals.

When unsure of a good food/wine pairing duo I default to Italy with an assurance of good acidity to work with foods.
Glenn
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I want to cook and eat more italian food at the moment, so will open more italian wines in the next weeks.

I bought some more Barolo, some Chianti Classico, and even some Cesanese del Piglio made from Cesanese grape.

Some white too made from Picoletto.

Nic