2018 Abbia Nova Cesanese del Piglio Senzavandalismi

Nicklasss

2018 Abbia Nova Cesanese del Piglio Senzavandalismi

Post by Nicklasss »

Super long name, for a wine made of a less known grape (cesanese) in an area near Rome i guess.

Medium clear red color, with a nice nose of dark red berries, licorice, animal, dark flowers, and black currants. Medium power nose, quite clean, not rustic at all. Mouth stays light, on flavors of blackberries, licorice, flowers. Medium acidity that gives good freshness. Missing some structure or length, as the tannins are low level, soft. Very convenient and the rusticity is more there in mouth, with something like old vine wood, and light ink. Unexpected very good red wine, that I guess made to drink on a warm day in Latium. Tn: 87.

To finish, 87 is of course not a 95, but that 87 wine deserves some attention anyway. It is a very good unexpected surprise, as i think these kind of wines from unknown areas and unknown grapes, are becoming more and more interesting as vinegrowers and winemakers in these areas are transforming positively these wines to make them special, good quality, genuine, to discover.

Nic
Nicklasss

Re: 2018 Abbia Nova Cesanese del Piglio Senzavandalismi

Post by Nicklasss »

Opened a second bottle of that wine tonight. Quite similar, maybe a bit more basil and animal, but still quite good.

Rating: 333T
AKR

Post by AKR »

My general view is that imported wines are safer to buy at the lower levels than local wines (CA for me) because the importers/distributors are good filters for quality. Within my state, any junk can be sold directly to grocery stores etc., so there's a lot more to be wary of if something is from the area. Even with the glorious halo of UC Davis within the region. It just doesn't add magical quality by its mere presence.
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Easy for you to say!

Keep up the good work, Nic!