Zoom wines

Nicklasss

Zoom wines

Post by Nicklasss »

Was fun to see everyone, and I guess i saw Glenn and Gerry for the first time. I thought i was having a grumpy look, but when I saw Ian, i felt better ;) .

The 2015 Virginie de Valandraud blanc is the second label of Valandraud blanc. Yes, even for the blanc, a second label. Sémillon and both sauvignon grown in Saint Émilion, so the wine is a White Bordeaux aoc. Pale color, the nose is not very powerful or developped at all, mainly on vanilla and something like bitter wax. In mouth, something not my style at all, with low acidity, 14.5 % alcohol, some flavors of bitter lemon skin, wax, vanilla and kind of onion peel infusion. It is a very big deception, especially at that price. There is some green melon flavors too, but it doesn't make it for me. Tn: 85. I hesitate between that wine that I never had, or the 2014 Chateau Carbonnieux blanc... i should have picked the Pessac. But the Virginie was slightly better with the seafood fettucini (scallops, mussels and shrimps).

A leftover of 2019 Molarella blanc, from Calabria Italy, is better for a lower price. Made from Pecorello grapes, it is simple but plays it game nicely, with aromas of mandarines, orange melon and almonds. In mouth, simple but with a good core of fruit, fat but the 12.5 % alcohol keeps it very drinkable, with cool flower pollen, light citrus and orange tree flowers. Very dry and short but enjoyable. Tn: 87.

For the next Zoom, i'll try to get something more interesting, and i will take less risks.

Nic
Musigny 151

Re: Zoom wines

Post by Musigny 151 »

Failed bottle of VCC 2014. Corked. Second bottle Simi cab 1977 which had a twenty minute half life before it faded.

Great seeing everybody.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Nicklasss wrote:Was fun to see everyone, and I guess i saw Glenn and Gerry for the first time. I thought i was having a grumpy look, but when I saw Ian, i felt better ;) .

The 2015 Virginie de Valandraud blanc is the second label of Valandraud blanc. Yes, even for the blanc, a second label. Sémillon and both sauvignon grown in Saint Émilion, so the wine is a White Bordeaux aoc. Pale color, the nose is not very powerful or developped at all, mainly on vanilla and something like bitter wax. In mouth, something not my style at all, with low acidity, 14.5 % alcohol, some flavors of bitter lemon skin, wax, vanilla and kind of onion peel infusion. It is a very big deception, especially at that price. There is some green melon flavors too, but it doesn't make it for me. Tn: 85. I hesitate between that wine that I never had, or the 2014 Chateau Carbonnieux blanc... i should have picked the Pessac. But the Virginie was slightly better with the seafood fettucini (scallops, mussels and shrimps).

Nic
I had the 14 VdV blanc last year

http://www.bordeauxwineenthusiasts.com/ ... 660#p75699

I didn't care for it either
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

Really too bad about your 2014 VCC - supposed to be outstanding. Plus I’ve got a few bottles and was interested in your opinion on it.

Must say I thought the 2001 VCC was very, very good. Too bad it’s so expensive these days.

Chris Bublitz
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

1998 Ch. Vieux Chateau Certan

This is really beginning to enter the sweet spot, but it benefitted from being double decanted a few hours earlier. Unusually no Cabernet Franc in the blend (90% merlot and 10% Cabernet Sauvignon), this has an aristocratic entry and is rich, decadent and complex. Bright and lifted, with rich, ripe plummy fruit, berries, rich fruit cake, autumnal notes, tobacco and cigar box, mineral and schist. This multi-faceted wine has impeccable poise and balance.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Comte Flaneur wrote:1998 Ch. Vieux Chateau Certan

This is really beginning to enter the sweet spot, but it benefitted from being double decanted a few hours earlier. Unusually no Cabernet Franc in the blend (90% merlot and 10% Cabernet Sauvignon), this has an aristocratic entry and is rich, decadent and complex. Bright and lifted, with rich, ripe plummy fruit, berries, rich fruit cake, autumnal notes, tobacco and cigar box, mineral and schist. This multi-faceted wine has impeccable poise and balance.
Great to see you on zoom again Ian.

I am very curious to try this in the future. It sounds fantastic. What are your decanting recommendations specifically? As well as for the 2001/2004?

Also I think you got cut off when answering about how many more blanquitos the 2000 needs?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ian was looking very studly last night, Jesus when was your last haircut!

Everyone looked great, especially the man they call Winona Chief!

I sipped the pink-capsuled 2015 Joanin Becot, in honor of my VCC drinking friends.

We'll have that '89 Lynch soon, DavidG, save that Purple Baron!

I got up at 4am to finish my first ever brief to the 1st Circuit Court of Appeals, Howard, thanks for helping fill in the last section.

We'll do one more Zoom before year's end, sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas!
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

JoelD wrote:

I am very curious to try this in the future. It sounds fantastic. What are your decanting recommendations specifically? As well as for the 2001/2004?

Also I think you got cut off when answering about how many more blanquitos the 2000 needs?
Likewise it was good to see you again virtually Joel. Was it just me but you seemed to be in a very dark room?

My recommendation would be to give VCCs like 1998, 2000, 2001 and 2004 plenty of air time, and to decant/double decant if you can. I say that through recent experience of popping and pouring my last 1998 (first from this case just released from long term storage) and it behaved like it had been rudely awoken and surprisingly played second fiddle to a 1998 Pape Clement, which can be all over the place. I also released my case of 2001 VCC and found the first bottle to be very backward, but clearly what was underneath was undoubtedly profound but it was pretty closed, and I clearly didn’t give it enough air. The 2000 I have tried twice and it is a sensationally good 2000, but also very young, at least it was the last time I tried it, which may be a while ago now. But I think all of these wines if broached now need a decent amount of air time, hence my advice to Marc. Which he studiously ignored. Not only did he pop and pour it, he hoovered it. But he seemed to enjoy it. Mark/Musigny is the 2014 in its pre-close down phase?
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Comte Flaneur wrote:
JoelD wrote:

Likewise it was good to see you again virtually Joel. Was it just me but you seemed to be in a very dark room?

My recommendation would be to give VCCs like 1998, 2000, 2001 and 2004 plenty of air time, and to decant/double decant if you can. I say that through recent experience of popping and pouring my last 1998 (first from this case just released from long term storage) and it behaved like it had been rudely awoken and surprisingly played second fiddle to a 1998 Pape Clement, which can be all over the place. I also released my case of 2001 VCC and found the first bottle to be very backward, but clearly what was underneath was undoubtedly profound but it was pretty closed, and I clearly didn’t give it enough air. The 2000 I have tried twice and it is a sensationally good 2000, but also very young, at least it was the last time I tried it, which may be a while ago now. But I think all of these wines if broached now need a decent amount of air time, hence my advice to Marc. Which he studiously ignored. Not only did he pop and pour it, he hoovered it. But he seemed to enjoy it. Mark/Musigny is the 2014 in its pre-close down phase?
It got a little darker since daylight savings time, later in the evening I moved some bulbs around. I'll make sure it is better lit for the next zoom. I would have done sooner but I was still feeling those 12 bottles of Champagne and Burgundy from the night before with Marcus and a few other close friends.

I have no idea how he drank a whole bottle of that so quickly, but I was jealous either way. I honestly would not have appreciated the 2000 that night anyways. I will save to share with some BWE friends.

I am tempted to try that 2000 but may just need to find an older vintage. I generally don't like to double decant unless taking a bottle to a dinner. What would you call "plenty of air time" for those four vintages? 2-3 hours in decanter? Or maybe 8-12 slow ox/Audoze method?
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Two to three hours in a decanter should suffice Joel. I am not a practitioner of the Audouze method and don’t have a view...maybe others can chime in here? I am sure it would not be a disaster for a wine like 2000 VCC.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

My Zooms are doomed it seems.
Yesterday I opened a 1955 Carbonnieux, a third tier Graves in a good vintage. Dead, so dead that it could have been the centerpiece of a Monty Python sketch. So I decided to do what I should have done on Sunday. The VCC 2014 is an absolute beauty, which has shown no sign of closing down, and even at this young stage was interesting complex, and easy. The finish is astounding, fruit laden with an overlay of minerals and violets lining up to come in waves. Of course it has a few decades ahead of it, but I am glad I have a fair number of cases, as I plan to keep on drinking this through all its stages. . I seem to be stuck in the 97 point range; it may get even better with cellaring.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

The Virginie de Valandraud leftover was better tonight. Still not my style, but like the lemon took over the oak, and the honey melon too. Low acidity, and that kind of varnish wood.

Well, I tried.

Nic