The 1982 La Dominique has been uncorked!

JoelD

The 1982 La Dominique has been uncorked!

Post by JoelD »

Picked up 4 of these recently and had to give a try. Thanks Mark G for 3 of them. This is one of his bottles.

This came out really nicely out of the gate. Doesn't need much air. Clean nose. Integrated and balanced. Almost no tannins left. Floral with just a small amount of fruit left. I haven't tasted a lot of older St Emilion, but I would not peg this for a left bank like I have others. However I could easily guess Pomerol. Touch of pretty sweetness on the finish. Very good wine. Will see how it evolves over the night and with dinner. Right now I will put it conservatively at 94pts. Will update if any changes later.

Also I tried to upload a picture, but clearly I don't know how to do that one here.
JimHow

Re: The 1982 La Dominique has been uncorked!

Post by JimHow »

Oooh that wine is a BWE legend dating back to the NYC convention in 2003.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Love this wine, thanks for the update. Been great for decades. 94 pts is right about where I score good bottles of this, which is very high in my system (such as it is).
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

I really should have saved for our next zoom call, but I had ants in my pants about having four of them. Had to try something fun tonight. Happy that I have 3 more. Will save one for the next convention!

I think it will stay a 94. Which is fairly high for me as well. 96 is my highest I have scored to date. And since Jim is shitting all over Lynch Bages everywhere else, I no longer feel bad about my 95 point 1989 :)
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I call ‘em as I see ‘em, no agenda.
I loved our lunch we had at La Dominique during the 2015 BWE trip to Bordeaux.
I’m trying to remember where the 1982 La Dominique came in in the epic 2003 convention tasting donated by the anonymous benefactor, in which he/she donated six bottles each of 1982 Mouton, Ducru, Cos, LLC, Branaire, and La Dominique. I’ve had it a couple times since, I recall its pure elegance.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

JimHow wrote:I call ‘em as I see ‘em, no agenda.
I loved our lunch we had at La Dominique during the 2015 BWE trip to Bordeaux.
I’m trying to remember where the 1982 La Dominique came in in the epic 2003 convention tasting donated by the anonymous benefactor, in which he/she donated six bottles each of 1982 Mouton, Ducru, Cos, LLC, Branaire, and La Dominique. I’ve had it a couple times since, I recall its pure elegance.
Great way to describe it, probably the most elegant St. Emilion that I've had. Not to be confused with the best, but it is up there. That 1990 Ausone at the DC convention in march was something else. I would say this might have just started to come down off of its peak a couple years ago, but barely. It's holding on strong. Will drink my remaining bottles over the next 1-3 years.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

I have been very lucky with the wines from this cellar. If you are not too worried by nasty labels that have been in a humid cellar, your strike rate will be pretty high.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

In June 2019, i did a small round trip to DC for a BWE offline, with Jim. On the Saturday night, was it Mr Vino who brought a bottle or a magnum of the 1982 La Dominique? I rated it 93. Anyhow, it was excellent too that night.

In New York 03, if I remember well, the 1982 La Dominique finished 4th, even with that strong competition. I don't know if my memory is ok, but it was like Mouton, Branaire, Ducru Beaucaillou, La Dominique, Cos d'Estournel and finally LLC.

Nic
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Musigny 151 wrote:I have been very lucky with the wines from this cellar. If you are not too worried by nasty labels that have been in a humid cellar, your strike rate will be pretty high.
Thanks again Mark. Let me know when you decide to open one, curious to hear your thoughts.

Also, picked up a 1983 VCC today. Not sure when I'll get it, but I am excited

Nic, I bet that Magnum was singing. This 750 is still going strong, although I wonder if it was a tad better 5-10 years ago. Either way, if its in a decline, it is very slow.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Nicklasss wrote:In June 2019, i did a small round trip to DC for a BWE offline, with Jim. On the Saturday night, was it Mr Vino who brought a bottle or a magnum of the 1982 La Dominique? I rated it 93. Anyhow, it was excellent too that night.

In New York 03, if I remember well, the 1982 La Dominique finished 4th, even with that strong competition. I don't know if my memory is ok, but it was like Mouton, Branaire, Ducru Beaucaillou, La Dominique, Cos d'Estournel and finally LLC.

Nic
ummm...not sure it was me. So many BWE events, so many wines.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes I believe that’s correct, Nicola, I remember Mouton and Branaire were first and second, and LLC was last.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

PI still have a full case of Leoville Barton 1982 from that cellar. Originally I wanted $3k but I will sell for $2500.