You can only name one: What's the greatest wine you tasted?

DavidG

Re: You can only name one: What's the greatest wine you tasted?

Post by DavidG »

JoelD wrote:
Claret wrote:
Blanquito wrote:I had the 91 and 94 Dominus once, in the same line up, and as great as the 91 was, I preferred the 94.
I tasted the 94 once. The owner insisted on pop and pour and the bottle never really opened up.
The 94 is the best Dominus that I have had, and it was better on the 2nd and 3rd day opened. Definitely a candidate for a decant and it should shine. I have a bottle of 91 and 94, although these fall into Marcus's "super expensive" category now by current value of over $300 each. I am not sure they are worth that and theres a decent chance I sell them off for a good second growth.
I drank through at least a 6-pack each of 1991 and 1994 Dominus. Both killer wines, and on any given Sunday either one may have... I want to say "Dominated" but in reality they were always relatively close.
AKR

Post by AKR »

I had the 94 more than the 91, only because a friend picked up a case of the 94, in a distressed transaction. (His jackass friend needed to make a BMW car payment*, and pledged a case of the 94 as collateral for a $1000 loan, which was never paid back. That guy was going through a strange divorce) So my friend poured this for us a lot since he had gotten it for a steal.

So when I suggest 94 its only because of frequency, I never had 91 vs 94 side by side that I can remember. Both are stunning of course.

* the guy still lost the car, maybe six weeks later.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

Noah,

Didn’t think about fortified wines in my choice (still think 1959 Latour was the best wine I’ve ever had) but I must say that 1827 Quinta do Serrado Bual and Henriques & Henriques Grand Old Bual (circa 1800) were the two best Madeira I’ve had. Need to include Madeira in one of our dinners next year.

Chris Bublitz
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

DavidG wrote:
I drank through at least a 6-pack each of 1991 and 1994 Dominus. Both killer wines, and on any given Sunday either one may have... I want to say "Dominated" but in reality they were always relatively close.
I had the 87 and 90 recently. Both were good but neither showed anywhere near the level of the 94. Interestingly enough, I feel that the 2012 Dominus is a modern 94. Big and dark and a little brooding last tasted, but showed very well with a decant. I see a lot of similarities. And its a lot more reasonably priced.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I’m a big fan of many 80’s Dominus, especially the 85. The 90 is a bit of a let-down through, I concur.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Blanquito wrote:I’m a big fan of many 80’s Dominus, especially the 85. The 90 is a bit of a let-down through, I concur.
I had the 85 over the past year. It’s lovely old school Napa but definitely on the back-slope of its existence.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

OrlandoRobert wrote:
Blanquito wrote:I’m a big fan of many 80’s Dominus, especially the 85. The 90 is a bit of a let-down through, I concur.
I had the 85 over the past year. It’s lovely old school Napa but definitely on the back-slope of its existence.
Good to know, I have one perfectly stored bottle from release. Guess I should get on that. I like how we somehow turned this into a Dominus thread lol. It was in all fairness my favorite cali wine for a while, and I do think the napanook is a great value. Although their mid 2000's wines leave a little to be desired right now. Will likely turn those over. For lots of Bordeaux :)
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I had the 85 Dominus twice in 2019, and while 100% mature, it didn’t seem in decline. At least these bottles.

Of course, much depends on how one likes their wines, and I definitely err of the fully tertiary end of things.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

dstgolf wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:11 am There have been a tremendous number of incredible wines shared with wonderful people over the years and I/we feel blessed to have so many memories that I could wax on for a long time. Wines that were surprising and out performed all expectations. Ones that fell well below what they should have been and all those that were elevated because of the company that they were shared with. Nothing better than enjoying a great bottle with like minded friends and this site has enabled so many treasured moments that it's near impossible to only name one bottle. If I had to amongst local friends it would have to be the 54 Lafite that my buddy brought to our annual event hoping with low expectations but this wine was perfect in all ways. Exceeded expectations on all fronts and I can still taste it in the back of my memory banks still flowing violets from the glass...simply sublime.

The 82 Mouton is near and dear to my heart having enjoyed it 6 times and always superb especially the ones shared with SDR in South Fla along with an amazing bottle for my 60th....4 yrs ago!! The sad part is that on the three occasions we had this with Stu it was outshone by the Latour by a good stretch the most recent last Feb with many other BWERs. Sad but true when you compare these incredible bottles side by each there are always winners and losers unfortunately as on their own they are truly superb.

My consolation wine is probably the 2004 DRC Richebourg that we shared at Ian's in London 2017 with fellow BWErs. Best white was the DRC Montrachet 2003 at Tim's 50th and number 1 for all time unforgettable was Ian's 3 litre 82 Ausone at Tim's 50th. Talk about photo ops but the wine was still wearing its baby fat and though fabulous a long way from being at its peak.

Yes memories are great to have but they are better to share and we have shared so many with great friends that choosing one bottle is simply unrealistic!!
It was a 5 litre not a 3 litre Danny
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Another vote for 1959 Lafite.
jckba

Post by jckba »

1983 Palmer.
Harry C.

Post by Harry C. »

At the first Millennium tasting my wine group put on, there was a flight of Haut Brion-1982, 1989, 1961. The 61 was the greatest red wine I’ve ever had. The 89 wasn’t far behind! The 82 was left in the dust.
hautbrionlover

Post by hautbrionlover »

Tough to argue with the 1983 Palmer or the 1982 Haut Brion.
Some pretty fabulous wines being listed here!
JeanFred

Re: You can only name one: What's the greatest wine you tasted

Post by JeanFred »

As others, many great wine but...

Latour 1961

For me

JeanFred
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

59 Lafite a couple of years ago. Amazingly fresh and vibrant. Typically, a generous BWE benefactor.
bradburyd

Post by bradburyd »

1961 Chateau Palmer