2005 Chasse Spleen

AlexR

2005 Chasse Spleen

Post by AlexR »

I haven’t opened a 2005 in a while, but figured yesterday was the day for my bottle of 2005 Chasse Spleen to accompany a nice roast of beef.
This cru bourgeois (previously in the “exceptionnel” category, and now voluntarily outside the classification) is often considered an honorary great growth, and frequently cited as the best wine of the low-profile Moulis appellation. I’ve had mostly good experiences with Chasse Spleen, although I’m not a fan of their white wine.

Decanted two hours before the meal, this 2005 proved to be a fine example of what the château can do. The color showed the wine’s age, but seemed more youthful on the nose (hints of graphite and violet) and, especially, the palate. There was a delightful sort of double whammy here, staring off with a rich, voluptuous flavor, then going into an austere and frankly tannic aftertaste that made it particularly appetizing with red meat. This pronounced, but not unrelenting, tannin seeems to be the hallmark of Chasse Spleen.

The notion of peak is hard to pin down and, of course, the question of personal preferences comes into play... While I believe this wine will improve with age, I also feel it shouldn’t be kept too long because by the time the tannin further softens, the fruit will become more subdued. In the trade-off, I’d say 2005 Chasse Spleen should be ideal in 2025.
This wine was a joy to drink and it is always nice to see that the estates you considered stalwarts have maintained their standing.

Best regards,
Alex R.
OrlandoRobert

Re: 2005 Chasse Spleen

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Nice check-in on a very solid Cru!

I did likewise last week with a 2005 Lanessan. And like you, I concluded it early needs 5+ more years. In big structured years like this, even the classic Crus are big boys. I think the Lanessan will be most excellent in time. The 2000 is drinking beautifully right now, as is the Chasse Spleen.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Thanks for the look-see, Alex. I thought I had some of this 05, but turns out I only have the 00 Chasse Spleen (and some of the 89).

Like you, I think many of the cru bourgeois from 2005 are just starting to round into form now and over the next 5 years. I went through my notes on the 05s I tasted this year and found that "getting there" sentiment again and again. Here's a few:

2005 Château Tour St Bonnet 6/26/2019
For lovers of old school claret, this has to be an all time QPR. Black cherry with earthy notes. Good brightness and grip, still showing some structure. See my prior notes for more details. Drinking well, but I’m guessing this is even better in 5 years.

2005 Château Lanessan 6/30/2020
Served double blind. Clearly a Bordeaux, clearly a Left Bank, clearly a less ambitious wine than many more of its expensive brethren. This was very nice and in a good place, good depth for this chateau with nothing really out of place, ready to drink in an early maturity way without any tertiary complexity.

Robert, I can't recall if you've had the Tour St Bonnet (I think so?), but I can see you really loving this chateau.*

*Edited: just saw your notes on TSB on Berserkers.
AKR

Post by AKR »

A great property