TN: 2017 Chateau Le Pin, Pomerol

OrlandoRobert

TN: 2017 Chateau Le Pin, Pomerol

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Not a bad way to close out such a bizarre year, one with so many ups and downs. Admittedly, it is a wine I would not have popped this evening had I owned it. But when a close friend brings it to NYE dinner, one must oblige, right? Could be one of the only Bordeaux that I have not had before, and definitely a bucket list wine. Granted, would have preferred it with 15 years of maturity.

In any event, this wine really was gorgeous even in its primary state. Unbelievably saturated purple color. Rich nose of plums, black truffles and licorice. Some exotic spices that I could not quite identify. I had always heard the palate on Le Pin is pure silk, but it’s more than that of course. It’s an interesting juxtaposition of density but lightness, layered but seamless, a full range of red to purple fruits, all wrapped up in the softest, most luxurious silk. Cannot imagine how good this wine will be in time. And yet it is quite approachable now for what it shows. Even the tannins were soft and sweet, just enough backbone and chewiness to let you know this wine can age.

(96+)
Comte Flaneur

Re: TN: 2017 Chateau Le Pin, Pomerol

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Thanks for the note Robert.

I have been lucky enough to try Le Pin on several occasions and there is no doubt in my mind that it is first growth quality. Its price is also of course mainly a function of its rarity.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Agreed, it definitely showed First Growth class.

I read up on the estate today from Leve’s excellent website, and didn’t realize that the Thienpont Family founded and own it. Makes sense, VCC is hands-down one of my favorite Chateau in all of Bordeaux. And at 1/10 the price of Le Pin, I take it all day long! Still, trying the Le Pin - just two guys sharing the whole bottle over dinner - was quite a treat. We lucked out that the wives only wanted Sancerre and Dom.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Mmmm what a treat, a great way to end the year!
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Awesome. I’ve never had a Le Pin, though I’ve admired it in person in wine shops before. Definitely a bucket lister.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Nice report Robert. I was ready to ban you if you would have opened it without any other BWEers, but your story is acceptable :-).

I saw it once in my favorite restaurant cellar locally, but it was probably more than 12 years ago... I can't remember the vintage as the label was having only "Le Pin" on it.

A very special wine indeed.

Nic
AKR

Post by AKR »

wow. OrlandoRobert - is there anything beyond VCC that tastes like Le Pin?
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

I'll not try to polish my glory, but I'm proud that I've known Jacques Thienpont since September 1985 and I found it by accident while going from Libourne to Catusseau and then to Cheval Blanc. But instead of going straight on the road, passing Petit Village on the left and reach the crossroad some 1 km further and then right, I turned left just before La Croix St.Georges and met a guy standing in the front of a modest house. When I asked him how to come to Cheval Blanc, he said to me "I will drive you to Cheval Blanc, but first you taste my wine (1984 Le Pin)." It was quite nice. I didn't know that much about Le Pin then, but realized what I was up to when reading Robert Parker's Wine Advocate two weeks later! :shock:

OrlandoRobert - I agree 100% with you in the description, and the style is "kinky". The special style in the form of liquid silk. 4.000 Euros per bottle.

Yes, when you get a chance to taste it, take it!! Don't hesitate!!
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

AKR wrote:wow. OrlandoRobert - is there anything beyond VCC that tastes like Le Pin?
Bearing in mind this is my first Le Pin, I was actually thinking “what Pomerol in my price range would be closest to this?” And my thought did not go to VCC, it actually went to Trotanoy. Perhaps the more merlot dominant vintages of VCC would be a great comparison, but I actually prefer the vintages of VCC that have a healthier cut of Cab Franc. Le Pin is all merlot. Trotanoy evokes the same emotion to me, and I like how GreatBxFreak says it, “kinky”. Le Pin just does it on silk sheets, Trotanoy on 1000 thread count Egyptian cotton.
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

Trotanoy is much heavier in style than VCC.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Ballers
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

Thanks for the note, and yes a wonderful way to start the New Year.

I have never tasted it in bottle, but several times out of barrel. It is always one of the best tastings, since Jacques is one of the funniest and most charming of the Bordeaux proprietors. His son also joins in the act, so last time I was there, it became a slightly surreal double act, ending with the son asking his father about his paternity.

To be honest, like Robert, I prefer the VCC, but I suspect my pocket book is subliminally signalling I should not like it too much. It is certainly more modern, but there is serious complexity from some of the finest terroir in all of Pomerol. Interestingly enough, there is an adjoining plot which was sold off about ten years ago to the Moueix family, and has been incorporated into Lafleur Petrus. There was talk at the time of purchase of perhaps bottling it separately one day.

If the wine was priced the same as VCC, I am not sure I would be buying more than a few bottles. It is undoubtedly great, but the style of it makes it more of an event wine rather than something I could pull out happily every month or so, as I do with VCC.

As for the closest wine, I would suggest L’Eglise Clinet.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Great thread and comments. It's instructive to read about top end wines from tasters who can calibrate them to attainable/available offerings. Especially when they drink a bottle, not just a micro pour at a UGC event or something.

For those who've tried Le Pin and - more prosaic - Pavie Macquin, is there any similarity?
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Musigny 151 wrote:Thanks for the note, and yes a wonderful way to start the New Year.

I have never tasted it in bottle, but several times out of barrel. It is always one of the best tastings, since Jacques is one of the funniest and most charming of the Bordeaux proprietors. His son also joins in the act, so last time I was there, it became a slightly surreal double act, ending with the son asking his father about his paternity.

To be honest, like Robert, I prefer the VCC, but I suspect my pocket book is subliminally signalling I should not like it too much. It is certainly more modern, but there is serious complexity from some of the finest terroir in all of Pomerol. Interestingly enough, there is an adjoining plot which was sold off about ten years ago to the Moueix family, and has been incorporated into Lafleur Petrus. There was talk at the time of purchase of perhaps bottling it separately one day.

If the wine was priced the same as VCC, I am not sure I would be buying more than a few bottles. It is undoubtedly great, but the style of it makes it more of an event wine rather than something I could pull out happily every month or so, as I do with VCC.

As for the closest wine, I would suggest L’Eglise Clinet.
I would not have thought l’Elise Clinet. My last bottle, granted the 2014, was more lean and on the red fruit spectrum.

I still think Trotanoy for the lushness, but do think Izak is right, Trotanoy is not as light on its feet.

Granted, my assessment is obviously quite limited.

I will say, I would be a very happy man if my seller was packed with much more VCC and Trotanoy.

PS. Looks like there will be more 2017 Le Pin in my future. My buddy just ordered three more. He lusted over it.
Michael-P

Post by Michael-P »

"only wanted Sancerre and Dom"
LOL!
MP
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Michael-P wrote:"only wanted Sancerre and Dom"
LOL!
MP
What can you say, the pretty ladies luv them sum Vatan!