2008 Dom Pérignon

Nicklasss

2008 Dom Pérignon

Post by Nicklasss »

Last night, for the little BWE toast to New Year, and the rest of the night, i had only one bottle of wine with MC, the BWE 2020 WOTY.

To sum it quickly, it is well deserved. Pale color, lot of fine bubbles, nose and mouth are not toasty or brioche. It is an impressive complex mixture of lemongrass, white berries, flowers, salinity, minerals, elegance, freshness, with a touch of honey and green lemon. This has a perfect "body", a bit in a "James Bond" way (sorry Bollinger!), being of the right intensity from start to the long finish, and seems like nothing can make it fade (air, time, or different little bouchées of foie gras or goat cheese or dressed eggs). Acidity is high at that young age (what MC and me like in their white wines) but mix with the material in the wine, that will age gracefully. A bottle on ourself, i think it is as good as, or just sligthly better than the 2008 Cristal. The Cristal is more dramatic on the salinity and purity, but the Dom is better on complexity and length. Tn: 95.

Nic
Last edited by Nicklasss on Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nicklasss

Re: 2008 Dom Pérignon

Post by Nicklasss »

By the way, after the 2008 Dom Pérignon, i said to MC she looked 10 years younger. She said "go buy a case".

I think i have found stefan's trick!

Nic
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

You and MC we’re looking great as usual, Nicola, we had the 2008 Cristal with Maine oysters, it was stunning. The 2014 Clerc Milon is brilliantly Pauillac with Faroe Island salmon for dinner, I still have 27 more bottles of it!
stefan

Post by stefan »

The 2008 is a great Dom. I thought we might drink one last night, but after finishing a bottle of 2008 La Grande Dame I opened a Billecart-Salmon Rose instead because we were eating black eyed peas with ham alongside a salmon spread. Two bottles were enough to satisfy Lucie's fizzy plonk craving, so the Dom remains unopened.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Nicely done and happy new year Nic!
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

I had it last night as well, Nicklasss! I agree, it’s awesome. This is my sixth bottle since release. I wish my wife told me to go get a case, but instead, she said “you need to get that Le Pin”. I did not have the heart to tell her I’m way too poor, I had designs with her later that evening in mind! ;)
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I haven’t had the Cristal, but I think the 08 Dom is the greatest young champagne I’ve ever tried amongst lots of strong competition.