2015 Fratelli Alessandria Barolo

Nicklasss

2015 Fratelli Alessandria Barolo

Post by Nicklasss »

Opened with a nice mushroom risotto.

With 90 minutes of air, this is a marvelous young Barolo, with still lot of room to improve, but i guess that i would have never thougth young Barolo like that could be so appealing.

Medium cherrie red color. Nice nose of fruit (fresh rasberries, cherries, red berries and strawberries), light cinnamon spice, flowers, incense, light vegetal, very classic. The fruit is fresh, kind of sublime. In mouth, you need to like the slightly rough edges, being near the edge, but on the edge the feeling is great. The attack is a mix of wood vegetal mixed with red berries and acidic rasberries. With that nose, you would not expect that great tannic structure, envelopped by orange scars, red flowers, incredible dry balsamic cherries. The long final of tannins and old oaky red berries. Of course, this is coarse, unforgiving, the edge, a super young wine of nebbiolo that will be great (and evolve) for a long time. Tn: 92-93.

At that young age, i understand this wine is not "ready" for everyone. But it was a great match to the risotto, and even the last glass on it's own is a bit like Nirvana's "Smells like teen spirit" : irresistible in it's raw completeness.

Nic
AlexR

Re: 2015 Fratelli Alessandria Barolo

Post by AlexR »

Thanks for sharing.

I have a few bottles of Barolo and i never open them because I always think they're too young. Foolish, really.

I must open one up soon :-).

On my bucket list: a visit to Piedmont/Barolo/Barbaresco during white truffle season.

Alex R.
Claret

Re: 2015 Fratelli Alessandria Barolo

Post by Claret »

Nic, I admire your Italian adventures. Food only makes the pairing better.

2015 Barolo I suspect is a ripe expression. My wine epiphany was an unnameable 1974 Barolo in 1982 when I was a waiter.

Using mushrooms and various truffle products is an Umami explosion.
Glenn