To Open or Not to Open(Yet): 1998 VCC

JoelD

To Open or Not to Open(Yet): 1998 VCC

Post by JoelD »

I recently acquired two mint condition 1998 VCC. Also a 1983 and a 2000. I am chomping at the bit to try some, obviously the 83 would be the now choice but it may not arrive for a few months. I may or may not ever get more 1998 VCC and I am debating whether to open one soon or not. Probably shortly after my 30 days without wine is over. 14 down now, 16 to go.

Try a little early with the intention of seeking out more while the prices go up? Or be patient and drink one of the other 500 clearly ready to drink bottles of wine that I have?

And if I do open, slow ox for 6-8 hours? Decant for an hour or two?
JimHow

Re: To Open or Not to Open(Yet): 1998 VCC

Post by JimHow »

Mmmm. I vote for decant for an hour or two and drink over the course of 3-4 hours. it should be a beauty!
It'll still be youthful, but you'll have another to drink in a decade or more.
There is an argument to be made that 1998 right bank is the greatest Bordeaux vintage ever.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I agree with Jim.

When we had many 1998 right bank wines at the 2018 BWE convention, they were all very good. The VCC was clearly excellent even if it was normal to think it would be even better in 10 years. But i would not hesitate to decant 90 minutes and enjoy over 2 hours.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Joel

I have had this three times in the last couple of years. Jim and Nic are right about decanting - if you pop and pour you will only get some of its full potential, as I discovered less than a year ago - but it is a glorious rich wine once it has time to unfurl.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Gorgeous wine, had it a month ago. I have one left, so will hold it, but if I had several, I would not hesitate to pop one. Decant and enjoy.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

JimHow wrote:Mmmm. I vote for decant for an hour or two and drink over the course of 3-4 hours. it should be a beauty!
It'll still be youthful, but you'll have another to drink in a decade or more.
There is an argument to be made that 1998 right bank is the greatest Bordeaux vintage ever.
Jim/Nic, So when you say decant say 2 hours but drink over the course of the (next?) 3-4. What do you do with the wine after it has hit the 2hour in decanter mark? Back into bottle? Cover the decanter?
marcs

Post by marcs »

I am still ahead of you with three 1998 VCC stocked away :-). Be very interested to see how this one works out for you.

I overpaid a number of times this past year at auctions (it's easy to get out of control), but the 1998 Figeac and VCC I got for barely over $100/bottle stand out as bargains.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

marcs wrote:...I overpaid a number of times this past year at auctions (it's easy to get out of control), but the 1998 Figeac and VCC I got for barely over $100/bottle stand out as bargains.
Wow, those are great scores! Of course, $100 for a bottle of fermented grape juice is absurd, but setting that aside, well done!
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

Of course you must open it. If you like it, then you can buy more.
marcs

Post by marcs »

Cellar Raiders is saying they have 40(!) bottles available at $279/each, only about $40-50 a bottle more than the 2019, so certainly you could reload if you wanted and felt like paying that price.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Musigny 151 wrote:Of course you must open it. If you like it, then you can buy more.
This is the true BWE spirit.

I agree that the wine needs a couple of hours to open up. That can happen in a decanter or in a glass. It should drink well for the rest of the evening so no worries about what to do with it (decanter or back in the bottle) after that first 2 hours unless you plan to save some for the next day. If that were the case I guess it would be a case for the Coravin.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Musigny 151 on Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:49 am

Of course you must open it. If you like it, then you can buy more.
Lol...

Other than the words of a young man from Quebec that "BWE is not about the wines, it is about the people," has there been a better definition of the philosophy of BWE....
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

You all here at BWE are a bunch of great enablers and I love it. I am excited to try one, I will of course keep you all posted when I do. Although I would rather share with some of you! Maybe I'll save it for a zoom call.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Definitely open.
Had this 4/5 years ago.
Was fine then.

Alex R.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

I have opened 3 of these in the last 5 years - none of them were in any way disappointing. I would just open a bottle, pour half a glass, give it a sniff and then let it sit (the glass of wine and the remainder of the opened bottle) for an hour or so - should be ready to go at that point. This is a very fine wine, enjoy!

Chris Bublitz