The (almost) BWE 2020 WOTY 2002 Leoville Barton

JoelD

The (almost) BWE 2020 WOTY 2002 Leoville Barton

Post by JoelD »

This was my first experience with this wine. 1st out of 6 pristine half bottles purchased recently.

Sexy nose right on opening, might have thought it was from Margaux. Subtle, pretty, classic. Even out of a 375, I think this wine is just starting to drink. Probably would have benefited from a decant. Lots of acidity, bordering on VA but balanced out with some dark fruit and lots of structure/tannins. It was slightly disjointed at first but with time in glass and air in bottle for a couple hours it came around. Was best with some rich goat cheese and crackers. Really balanced out the acidity. I think this will be a long lived wine. And I will make sure to save a couple of these for at least 5-10 years. TN 93, potential for upside if the acidity starts to subside and balance.

Also, I coravined and decanted a glass of the 2016 La Dame De Montrose to have with my ribeye. Tons of baby fat and fruit that I don't love on young bordeaux or cabs. However around the 2 hour decant mark, this started to show some real potential with layers of complexity and flavors. I would hold these for a couple years or give a ton of air. Tn 91-92 for now.

A very BWE evening.
Nicklasss

Re: The (almost) BWE 2020 WOTY 2002 Leoville Barton

Post by Nicklasss »

Good report Joel.

When someone read that, you can just think "why should i chase any other red Bordeaux than the 2002 Léoville Barton?". Seems like a perfect Saint Julien, for now and next 10 years, at the right price.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I've drunk through a case of them, every one of them splendid.
I think St. Julien was the epicenter in 2002.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Love this wine.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Guys
Interesting that 2002 is still largely an overlooked vintage yet it was always a classic style.
I will try and pick up some at auctions if I can find them as the numerous wines I had from that vintage got left behind. Oh well.
Cheers
Mark