Completely nutso auction price

robert goulet

Re: Completely nutso auction price

Post by robert goulet »

JoelD wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:10 am
Musigny 151 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:02 am
robert goulet wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:53 am Musigny...I believe wine bid allows 6mos storage without charge...wait a minute, your complaining about prices and u have a handle w/ the name of Musigny? 😜
Not sure about the rules, only that without ant warning one January my credit card was charged for storage.

Yup, Musigny suggests I was rich, but the craziness over Musigny started this century. I was using Musigny as an aka long before that. To give some idea on how the mighty have fallen, my fantasy football moniker is BeauneCrusher.
That is a great fantasy football name, Mark. I may have to borrow that at some point.

Looks like I went a little nuts on the 1987 L'eglise Clinet that I outbid you on Robert, birth year wine for me and it seemed cheap. But I'll be happy to bring it for you to try if you're coming up for the potential BWE DC 2021 in Sept or October!
Hahahaha...so that was u!...u snagged it from me at the bell...nice work brother! Hope you njoy it
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

robert goulet wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:14 pm
Looks like I went a little nuts on the 1987 L'eglise Clinet that I outbid you on Robert, birth year wine for me and it seemed cheap. But I'll be happy to bring it for you to try if you're coming up for the potential BWE DC 2021 in Sept or October!
Hahahaha...so that was u!...u snagged it from me at the bell...nice work brother! Hope you njoy it
Actually, looking closer someone else had already beat you and I beat them. So I'd like to think I just gave them a dose of their own medicine for you.

Have you had this wine before or did you also just realize how good of a low priced potential Pomerol value it was? (Rare these days and the outlier of this thread). I got it for $94 all in.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Just noticed the price and went for it...never had any '87's...I threw a final bid with a minute or so left.
stefan

Post by stefan »

I wonder if some of the high auction prices come from annoyance and mistakes. Usually I am pretty good at putting in my maximum bid and ignoring the auction if I am outbid. However, I got outbid by $2 on a wine and checked what happened. A late bidder topped me. Being in a bad mood after teaching for 1 1/2 hours with Covid vaccine fallout, I thought, "I am going to make him pay a few more dollars" and bid $3 more than his winning bid. I got back that I was the the winning bidder at $15 above his bid. It turns out that I had hit the wrong key and actually outbid the high bid by $40. So I drove the price up by mistake and might win at a higher than reasonable price.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

stefan wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:41 am I wonder if some of the high auction prices come from annoyance and mistakes. Usually I am pretty good at putting in my maximum bid and ignoring the auction if I am outbid. However, I got outbid by $2 on a wine and checked what happened. A late bidder topped me. Being in a bad mood after teaching for 1 1/2 hours with Covid vaccine fallout, I thought, "I am going to make him pay a few more dollars" and bid $3 more than his winning bid. I got back that I was the the winning bidder at $15 above his bid. It turns out that I had hit the wrong key and actually outbid the high bid by $40. So I drove the price up by mistake and might win at a higher than reasonable price.
Which site was this on, Bill?
s*d*r

Post by s*d*r »

Stu

Je bois donc je suis.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

marcs wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:10 pm
DavidG wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:33 pm Could be, Stefan. Are the grapes for Mouton Cadet grown immediately adjacent to those for the grand vin?
Come on, man, how long have you been dealing with Bordeaux? Do you really think they'd be selling it for $10/bottle if the grapes touched a single clod of sacred Pauillac dirt? It would be three figure price minimum, no matter how crappy it was, if those grapes were grown anywhere within an hour's drive of the Grand Vin. They are probably bulk grapes from the generic Bordeaux AOC that would otherwise end up in jelly or something.
In Ampuis, where they produce Côte Rôtie, this is a fact: you have a vine of syrah in aoc Côte Rôtie, than the aoc limit line, and on the other side of the line another vine of syrah classified as Vin de Pays des Collines Rhodaniennes. The top wine is 60 $ a bottle while the Vin de Pays is 18 $. When you taste both from the same producer, you can't almost believe how different the two wines are.

I agree with marcs that grapes from Pauillac, even from worst part, are in second wines of Chateau, or any other producer/négoce and will sell for minimum 40 $ a bottle as Pauillac. But one hour drive away from Mouton Rothschild, i guess that leave you plenty of vineyards to supply grapes for Monton Cadet. Remember that Pauillac aoc area is approx. 1.5 miles x 2.5 miles only, so as soon as you get out the other side of the limit of Pauillac, price go down same way as in Ampuis.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

robert goulet wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:14 pm
Musigny 151 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:02 am

Not sure about the rules, only that without ant warning one January my credit card was charged for storage.

Yup, Musigny suggests I was rich, but the craziness over Musigny started this century. I was using Musigny as an aka long before that. To give some idea on how the mighty have fallen, my fantasy football moniker is BeauneCrusher.
That is a great fantasy football name, Mark. I may have to borrow that at some point.

Guys, you know i appreciate every BWEers. So I'll keep the few bottles of 2013 Bordeaux i have, to sell them back to you in 20 years, at 50 times the original price.

The generous Nic
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

s*d*r wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:51 pm It’s not just wine of course.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/20/styl ... l-surfaces
Thanks, Stu. Those are some great ideas for what to do with all that money I’m not spending... umm... make that investing in new-release Bordeaux, LOL.