Orange wines : I don't get it (yet?)

Nicklasss

Orange wines : I don't get it (yet?)

Post by Nicklasss »

Tonight, i opened a bottle of the 2019 Enrosado vin orange, Manchuela DO, Spain.

Orange wine is basically a white wine, where they kept the grape skins for a longer time?

After 3-4 vin orange tried, i still don't get it. I cool down the wine a lot. Very nice color, kind of light peach orange, nose of grape skins, pollen, light oranges. Mouth is kinda blah, austere, dry, with vegetals like onion, and light flowers, but no real fun. A rating of 78 seems ok. Drinkable, but that's it.

Any of you with better experience, or info as I don't get it at all?
JCNorthway

Re: Orange wines : I don't get it (yet?)

Post by JCNorthway »

Nic, based on your description of "vegetals like onion," I think your score is quite generous. :)
stefan

Post by stefan »

This sounds like one of the orange wines that they make by urinating in grape juice.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I’ve never heard of orange wine. Who drinks orange wine. Life is too short to be drinking orange wine.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Guys
I think the Eastern Europeans call it Amber wine. Sounds cooler than orange wine.
I have never liked it albeit have only tried a handful.
I think those liking Fino sherry May like it as it is oxidative and isn’t fruity.
In France Vin Jaune is similar but not sure if it is made exactly the same way.
marcs

Post by marcs »

JimHow wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:37 am I’ve never heard of orange wine. Who drinks orange wine. Life is too short to be drinking orange wine.
This is the correct perspective.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

I tried a couple (this was a few years ago) and decided “Not for me”

Chris Bublitz
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

marcs wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:52 pm
JimHow wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:37 am I’ve never heard of orange wine. Who drinks orange wine. Life is too short to be drinking orange wine.
This is the correct perspective.
I guess that being just a bit younger than most here, not being from the same generation, and by my "scientist" personnality, who likes to learn and discover new people/things/anythings, i'm more at risk to try things like Orange Wines. By the way, i always encourage my kids to taste or try before not liking something. Not liking something (or having a closed opinion on something) without trying, or having a strong opinion on something you don't understand, is kinda very "Trumpian".

But after trying a few, i have to admit too that Jim's perspective is probably right about them, for me. But don't fool yourself,don't found your opinion for Orange Wines on my writtings and try it for your own opinion. But Jim persepective on orange wines is also the right perspective for the 2003 Chateau Péby Faugère and probably some other Bordeaux too. But that all depends of personnal taste.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Not my cuppa either.