modern classification of left bank red Bordeaux

rthomaspaull

Re: modern classification of left bank red Bordeaux

Post by rthomaspaull »

To Tim: Are you the least polite person on BWE? I am afraid that you might be more suited to Wine Berserkers, but I will give you the benefit of the doubt. I have no intention of giving you further information about myself other than to say it is a few days before I will be 87,' that I am in temporarily in a medical center, that though I am sometimes mistaken I do not lie (except white lies), and it is because I (unusually) have lots of time on my hands that I am posting so much to wine forums which I previously ignored. My computer skills are really lousy and I am probably blaming the moderators for what is very likely my own fault. It just seems odd that I can normally post without trouble and the posts that disappear seem very similar and handled in the same way by me, As for the square root of 1.108 (which I took to be 1.0524 instead of the more correct 1.0526. To 4 significant figures the squares of 1.0524,1,0525, 1,0526, 1,0527 and 1.0528 all seem to be 1.108, so I doubt if it really matters): for a left bank red Bordeaux that I scored 100
[which only happened once, years ago] I would currently pay a maximum of $170 [laugh] and for each point down I would divide the price by 1.108 (explanation elsewhere), while for each half-point down I would divide the price by the square root of 1.108 (as I explained previously). It is easy math. It is your privilege to be as skeptical as you like, of course. As I believe I have finished buying left bank red Bordeaux wines i will greatly curtail my use of all wine forums. As far as I know I am not trolling anybody. By the way, my "system" has nothing to do with Wine Advocate scores, only with Wine Advocate Vintage Ratings. Best wishes to all BWE members including you (though I care little if you believe me or not, which is up to you). rthomaspaull
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

No, RT, Tim is one of the most polite and longtime members of BWE. I think he is expressing reservations about your coming to a new website and inundating it with a theory about a ranking system that seems important to you but perhaps of less consequence to those of us, like Tim, who have been on this site for 20 or more years.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I don’t think RT is trolling us. I do think he has unusual ideas about rankings, an atypical (these days) adherence to Parker scores, and a strangely enthusiastic fascination with mathematical manipulation of scores. I sort of blew all that off at first but eventually took the time to try to understand his system. I don’t agree with it for my own evaluations any more than Tim does, but thought it worth the effort to try to understand it as a way to understand him.

I chalk up some of the repetitiveness and difficulty posting (by the way RT, no one is censoring your posts as far as I know) to his age. If he’s not an almost-87-year-old BWE, then shame on me for gullibility.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

rthomaspaull wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:37 am To Tim: Are you the least polite person on BWE? I am afraid that you might be more suited to Wine Berserkers, but I will give you the benefit of the doubt. I have no intention of giving you further information about myself other than to say it is a few days before I will be 87,' that I am in temporarily in a medical center, that though I am sometimes mistaken I do not lie (except white lies), and it is because I (unusually) have lots of time on my hands that I am posting so much to wine forums which I previously ignored. My computer skills are really lousy and I am probably blaming the moderators for what is very likely my own fault. It just seems odd that I can normally post without trouble and the posts that disappear seem very similar and handled in the same way by me, As for the square root of 1.108 (which I took to be 1.0524 instead of the more correct 1.0526. To 4 significant figures the squares of 1.0524,1,0525, 1,0526, 1,0527 and 1.0528 all seem to be 1.108, so I doubt if it really matters): for a left bank red Bordeaux that I scored 100
[which only happened once, years ago] I would currently pay a maximum of $170 [laugh] and for each point down I would divide the price by 1.108 (explanation elsewhere), while for each half-point down I would divide the price by the square root of 1.108 (as I explained previously). It is easy math. It is your privilege to be as skeptical as you like, of course. As I believe I have finished buying left bank red Bordeaux wines i will greatly curtail my use of all wine forums. As far as I know I am not trolling anybody. By the way, my "system" has nothing to do with Wine Advocate scores, only with Wine Advocate Vintage Ratings. Best wishes to all BWE members including you (though I care little if you believe me or not, which is up to you). rthomaspaull
Ok, I’ve avoided reading these threads as something that does not interest me (rating systems), but the buzz about trolling made me curious, and I have to say this post in particular is very odd. Even fishy.
stefan

Post by stefan »

"Lord Latham, Richard Thomas Paul Latham, 3rd Baronet of Crow Clump is the current Baronet and maintains a residence in Sussex, the location of the family seat."

IIRC, rthomaspaull says he lives in the USA but calls the UK frequently. He said he is almost 87, as is Sir Richard. rthomaspaull writes both "math" and "maths". Would Sir Richard ever write "math"?
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Hi RTP -

BWE is a great place with remarkably insightful, pleasant and often funny people. My advice, move on from your posts about your complex scoring and evaluation methodology. It works for you, cool. I’ve read your threads and the comments here and on Wine Berserkers. It doesn’t get much traction. That’s ok, just join the community for discussion on all other wine topics. You will enjoy the community immensely. No more frustration with how anyone perceived your approach, just enjoyment out of the engagement with others on the wine, life and other subjects.

Give it a new start here, and welcome aboard!
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

stefan wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:53 am"Lord Latham, Richard Thomas Paul Latham, 3rd Baronet of Crow Clump is the current Baronet and maintains a residence in Sussex, the location of the family seat."
With apologies to Lord Latham and the good folk of Crow Clump in Walton-upon-Thames, this reads more like the opening for a Monty Python skit than a biosketch... Blessed are the cheesemakers and the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch...

"And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, 'O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy.' And the Lord did grin. And the people did feast upon the lambs, and sloths, and carp, and anchovies, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and fruit bats, and large chulapas. And the Lord spake, saying, 'First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOrgLj9lOwk
rthomaspaull

Post by rthomaspaull »

TO Tim: Before I read your posts I loved BWE. Now I am glad to be leaving it, in fact thanks to you and a few others (to a much lesser extent) at least as glad as I am to be leaving Wine Berserkers. At least I have found a website where they are never rude (of course it is not a wine forum) and I can get the information I want. I do have to do some slightly complicated maths but I don't mind that. Congratulations. rthomaspaull
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Good night, good night. Parting is such sweet sorrow, that I shall say good night till it be morrow.
rthomaspaull

Post by rthomaspaull »

To Blanquito: as far as I am concerned I do not at present feel any sorrow. Later, who knows? rthomaspaull
rthomaspaull

Post by rthomaspaull »

Tim: I am trying hard not to call you a S.O.T.E., and you are peobably not one, but I find it increasingly hard not to think privately that you are. You have certainly annoyed me far more than anyone on the Berserkers, which is saying a lot. JH seems to have a much better impression of you than I do.
rthomaspaull
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Both Tim and Izak are normally quite docile.
rthomaspaull

Post by rthomaspaull »

Now that my birthday has finally arrived ' I will be leaving you, I trust, but not without one "last" message a bit later. rthomaspaull
stefan

Post by stefan »

I thought your birthday was tomorrow, Sir Richard.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

There will be no last message.
The ban list has been updated.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

JimHow wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:21 am There will be no last message.
Ok I was giving him the benefit of the doubt. Now he is back on Wine Berserkers - which he criticized over here and had said over there he was leaving to the nice people at BWE - complaining about the tyrant Jim Howe and the mean people. Ugh.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

JimHow wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:21 am There will be no last message.
#like
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

There's only one rule for trolls: don't feed them.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Lol... He is a character.
I really didn't want to ban him, I actually kind of got a kick out of him, but it was getting a little ridiculous.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

It's your fault Jim. You weren't doing a good enough job of moderating. :lol:
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

I think one needs to make allowances for all the brain cells which have been lost or retired in extreme old age. His particular ones seem to have done a massive exodus leaving him with some of pretty stupid ideas and a third rate inability to insult people.

I like my trolls a lot more intelligent and articulate and less befuddled than this guy.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

How long before they kick him off Beserkers?

Still don’t get his motive though, apart from getting a thrill out of irritating people?

Dramatic change in subject/severe thread drifting: I was looking at Beserkers .... Mark is the St-Emilion classification definitely up for review next year?
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Musigny 151 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:40 pm I think one needs to make allowances for all the brain cells which have been lost or retired in extreme old age. His particular ones seem to have done a massive exodus leaving him with some of pretty stupid ideas and a third rate inability to insult people.

I like my trolls a lot more intelligent and articulate and less befuddled than this guy.
Well said. It's just been comical. In case anyone hasn't gotten a chance to read his most recent posts, link is below. They are actually pretty hilarious. Sadly I think he's probably just an old fellow who no longer has all his marbles. Maybe even dementia or Alzheimers. That's really the only explanation that I can think of for the repetitive and weird posts with no regard to reading the crowd.

https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/vi ... 3#p3243873
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

Comte Flaneur wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:55 pm How long before they kick him off Beserkers?

Still don’t get his motive though, apart from getting a thrill out of irritating people?

Dramatic change in subject/severe thread drifting: I was looking at Beserkers .... Mark is the St-Emilion classification definitely up for review next year?
I heard they were starting the process, so I think yes. Alex R will probably have a better idea
stefan

Post by stefan »

I wonder how Sir Richard the Troll came up with his nom de plume, an obscure baronet who turned 87 today. Heck, I would choose to be at least an Earl. A baronet is not even a royal personage.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

stefan wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:44 pm I wonder how Sir Richard the Troll came up with his nom de plume, an obscure baronet who turned 87 today. Heck, I would choose to be at least an Earl. A baronet is not even a royal personage.
Yes I just looked him up too...I doubt that someone of that ilk would either be interested in trolling or be remotely interested in small fractions of Parker points.
B735F438-0336-4141-86C1-AD5E29A72915.png
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

JH...How dare u ban Sir Richard!...I was so close to unlocking the last clues to his scoring system!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

He has the honor of being on a very, very short list, Bobby G.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

JimHow wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:01 pm He has the honor of being on a very, very short list, Bobby G.

I'm surprised I've evaded that list 😜
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I am kind and benevolent, Bobby.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

I just read this thread for the first time out of curiosity and got a laugh. After he said he was leaving the posts kept coming and I found myself thinking " just leave already" lol. He must be the dinner guest who overstays his welcome at 2 in the morning who keeps saying he knows its late and must go but won't and just keeps babbling on.
jal

Post by jal »

The guy has been DBA'ed (Deactivated By Administrator) in Berserkers and is now posting on WLDG where he already is complaining someone is deleting his posts. I think we were very patient. The Berserkers Admins were also trying to give him the benefit of the doubt but had enough after multiple warnings.
Best

Jacques
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Bring back RTPL!!....there is no one to troll now...borrrrring 😜
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Honestly, I feel bad for the guy, probably a good dude but, it appears his advanced age is creating some issues...long live RTPL!
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

What is WLDG?
tim

Post by tim »

tim wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:28 am After reading many of his posts here and on WB, I am becoming more and more convinced that RT is just trolling us. Too many references to his age, to his "lack of computer skills", to the moderator deleting posts, etc. The thing that did it for me is the magical square root of 1.108 calculation for pricing on WB. Not to mention playing the victim everywhere he goes while spouting the same stuff about WA scores. I just don't buy it.

Sorry, RT, but if you want me to believe you are real, you'll need to provide some more information about yourself that can be verified. I find it hard to believe that an 87 year old in a home is just now discovering wine forums and is repeatedly promoting a system based almost entirely on Wine Advocate scoring. Call me a skeptic.
Did I call it or not?

And the only person here that is worse at maths than me is stefan!

(Edited to add: yes, he probably is Sir RT, but he is still trolling us)
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Good points Tim.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Patrus wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:23 am kind and benevolent for jimhow to kick an old guy out on his birthday? tim seemed to be rotten at mathematics and nasty besides. Patrus
He announced his goodbyes. Jim just helped him out the door.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

robert goulet wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:10 am What is WLDG?
Wine Lover's Discussion Group

It's been somewhat amusing watching this saga. He seems to be attempting to toe the line over there and be a tad more reasonable.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I like BWEers: some dissidence about trying to do our own classification of Vins de Bordeaux, but strongly together on RTP case. Well, one day he'll end up in the right wine lovers community that will accept him like he is. He was having the same confidence, verity and uncompromising character as Mr. Leve.