backfilling -- you never can tell

marcs

backfilling -- you never can tell

Post by marcs »

Just got a case of wines to store at home for springtime, and gave me the chance to check conditions on some older wines I backfilled. A 2006 Conseillante from a reputable retailer, who told me they got it straight from the distributor, had wine stains on the label front and back and a bottom neck fill. In contrast, a 1996 Leoville Poyferre purchased from Acker (yes, Acker) was in perfect condition, spotless label and fill halfway up the neck, looked like it had been released yesterday. Just goes to show how guessing on condition from source isn't always accurate. If anything I trust auction houses more since they do have a procedure and policy of notating flaws in the bottle and informing you of them
stefan

Re: backfilling -- you never can tell

Post by stefan »

>>
looked like it had been released yesterday
>>

probably was released yesterday from Rudy's cellar.
jal

Post by jal »

The two 1989 Cos d'Estournel bought this week from Acker (store not auction) also look brand new.
Best

Jacques
marcs

Post by marcs »

Forgot to mention, also received a 1989 Ducru Beaucaillou purchased from Acker that looked perfect :-).
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

sssshhhhh why are you guys telling everyone? I've gotten some great wines from Acker at great prices because of the Rudy stink. although they did just start charging sales tax to DC this year. I have definitely had a few bottles come in with bad fills(not noted to the extent of the levels) but to their credit, they took them back. A tad bit of an uphill battle with a few issues that arose but for the most part, seem legit.

Funnily enough, I actually got a 2006 Conseillante from them that also looked like it had been released yesterday. This is one I considered bringing if we are able to get a tasting together Marcus :)
s*d*r

Post by s*d*r »

marcs wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:59 pm A 2006 Conseillante from a reputable retailer, who told me they got it straight from the distributor, had wine stains on the label front and back and a bottom neck fill. In contrast, a 1996 Leoville Poyferre purchased from Acker (yes, Acker) was in perfect condition, spotless label and fill halfway up the neck, looked like it had been released yesterday. Just goes to show how guessing on condition from source isn't always accurate. If anything I trust auction houses more since they do have a procedure and policy of notating flaws in the bottle and informing you of them
It’s possible the wine stains on your Conseillante occurred from leakage from a different or broken bottle. But not likely.

Ideally, the fill on any Bordeaux bottle back to at least 1990 should be at or approaching mid neck. Even older bottles back to the sixties can occasionally have levels to bottom neck. (The fills on my few remaining bottles of ‘82 purchased on release are all low neck.) The difference in ullage in well stored old bottles is of course almost always due to the vagaries of cork.

Despite all that, I have found the correlation between ullage and condition of the wine when opened is inexact at best.
Stu

Je bois donc je suis.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

The fill on my 1996 Margaux and 1995 Petrus are I guess you would bottom neck/high shoulder.
Attachments
IMG_0281.jpg
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

s*d*r wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:57 pm
Ideally, the fill on any Bordeaux bottle back to at least 1990 should be at or approaching mid neck. Even older bottles back to the sixties can occasionally have levels to bottom neck. (The fills on my few remaining bottles of ‘82 purchased on release are all low neck.) The difference in ullage in well stored old bottles is of course almost always due to the vagaries of cork.

Despite all that, I have found the correlation between ullage and condition of the wine when opened is inexact at best.
I agree with most of this, but theres always exceptions. From good cellars that are really humid, the fills can sometimes be a little lower but the wine more than perfect. The corks matter too of course. Its inexact but they are good data points for sure. Better conditions of each part increase the chances of a good bottle overall.

Jim the Margaux looks perfect. Yes the Petrus might be just a tad lower than optimal but still has a great chance of being a correct bottle. Its base neck or maybe a Very high shoulder condition.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Still can't believe I didn't buy the whole case of the Petrus. Or more of the Margaux, for that matter.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

JimHow wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:01 am Still can't believe I didn't buy the whole case of the Petrus. Or more of the Margaux, for that matter.
Sadly there will always be these what if's and coulda woulda shoulda's in life. At least you have those 2. I wish I'd bought a bunch of bitcoin at $270 like I planned to, or a bunch at 4k, but hey at least I have some now :)
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I stood there while the woman cracked open the lone case of 1995 Petrus at the Nashua store, the lone case in the entire NH liquor store system. 275 dollars.
She asked me... "How many would you like?"
"Just one," I replied....
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

...when I was 13 I used to write Penthouse forum stories for the other kids in the neighborhood.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Some of the best wines I've had were from bottles that had leaked into the capsule.
rthomaspaull

Post by rthomaspaull »

Sometimes you just luck out. In the late 1980s in a rather unimpressive wine store in Yuma, AZ, I observed several bottles of 1982 Pichon Lalande with lots of red on the labels. However the price was so low (just over $10 a bottle!) that I decided to take a chance and drove them about 360 miles home with them shaded and the a/c on. My wife and I found the wine in every bottle delicious! (not 100 points,though, more like 95) rthomaspaull
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Anyone who followed the Rudy saga know Kapon's part in it and we all know his conduct at the NYC dinner years ago. I will never ever patronize his store.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Amen, my brother.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Jay Winton wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:53 pm Anyone who followed the Rudy saga know Kapon's part in it and we all know his conduct at the NYC dinner years ago. I will never ever patronize his store.
+1
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Jay Winton wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:53 pm Anyone who followed the Rudy saga know Kapon's part in it and we all know his conduct at the NYC dinner years ago. I will never ever patronize his store.
I respect this decision completely. I just come from a different angle in that there are very few auction houses that I want to deal with, and for the most part they have been better than the others at the lower value collectibles that I buy, that I Highly doubt are being faked.

Also all of this was before my time, and I did avoid Acker for years for these reasons, I recently gave them a chance. Mostly because Winebid and HDH got very saturated. K&L is tough. Don't love how Sotheby's and Brentwood work. Zachys is fine but their customer service and hardline stance on things has caused headaches.

Maybe it's wrong, but bottom line I've gotten good wines and good customer service from them. If anything, I feel that they have gone out of their way to correct opinions. I feel that a lot of other places are doing more shady things Currently. Or they are extremely overpriced and not worth it.