Pie Day & Peby Faugeres

AKR

Pie Day & Peby Faugeres

Post by AKR »

For the BWE Zoom call on Friday, I had popped and poured a glass of the 1999 Peby Faugeres [St Emilion] which I'd purchased EP. I was coaxed into buying this by the Sherry Lehman salesperson - I had ordered a case of the 99 Faugeres over the phone - and they were doling out allocations of a couple bottles of Peby to case purchasers of the regular St Em at the time. It was a new bottling back then (I think it started in 98?) and even among enthusiasts, was generally unknown. Even if this was right around the time of peak micro cuvee / garage wine on the right bank. In any case, this 14% abv wine has been delicious over the last 3 days, showing a kirsch nose on the first couple of days, leading into some menthol on the last day.
Great color & cork
Great color & cork
Some of these small production right banks get complaints from enthusiasts, and in truth, I'd rather the old vine grapes bolster the regular bottling, but ignoring that aspect - this is an excellent wine. If one was having it in a glass, with no preconceptions, no idea of the label, I think most BWE would find it to be a rich, fruity but balanced wine. Resolved tannins, harmonious acid, and great with beer battered crispy fish tacos! Red wine & White Fish - another sommelier war crime. I'd give this somewhere between an A- and an A grade.
jalapeno mango salsa and cabbage
jalapeno mango salsa and cabbage
street taco size corn + flour tortillas
street taco size corn + flour tortillas
crispy cod
crispy cod
And while we chomped on all that, the kids baked an apple pie, to denote Pi Day.
ready made crust & canned filling, but still tasty
ready made crust & canned filling, but still tasty
AKR

Re: Pie Day & Peby Faugeres

Post by AKR »

Because my vegetarian mom was also over, I also made the same butternut squash recipe jal shared in the thread on 89s http://www.bordeauxwineenthusiasts.com/ ... f=4&t=9516 and it was fabuloso!
a big butternut and a red+yellow onion
a big butternut and a red+yellow onion
tahini, lemon, garlic sauce to dress it with
tahini, lemon, garlic sauce to dress it with
going into the oven to roast in a ceramic le Creuset at 475F
going into the oven to roast in a ceramic le Creuset at 475F
Of course the final picture with everything roasted and assembled didn't seem to register on my phone...so you'll just have to take my word for it that its a great dish.

I think I'm going to try this same recipe but with cauliflower, adding pomegranate pernils too.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Harry sent me the latest list of Fodor’s top ten pie shops and it should be no surprise to any BWEers that Labadie’s Bakery in Lewiston, Maine, cracks into the list at number nine. Many a BWEer here has tasted the highly coveted Labadie whoopie pie delicacy with a fine northern Medoc or two over the years.

https://www.fodors.com/news/photos/the- ... in-america
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

All this whoopie pie talk... I went online and ordered a dozen.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Mmmmm doggie.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Someone brought a bottle of the 2000 Peby Faugeres to a wine dinner I attended 3 years ago. It was my favorite wine of the night, beating out some heavy hitters: '14 Maybach Materium, '14 Macdonald Cabernet, '14 Calon-Segur, '00 Langoa Barton, '06 Casanova di Neri Brunello
All great bottles at the table that night but that Peby was in the zone.

For Pi Day we had the last piece of Apple-Cranberry pie from Atwood Farm in Poland. My SIL makes terrific pies. Jim, I think she said that Blackies in Auburn started carrying her products.

I'm going to make that squash dish this week.
s*d*r

Post by s*d*r »

I like AKR notes for the wine but even more for the food :roll: .
Stu

Je bois donc je suis.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Didn’t we have the 99 Peby with Ramon and Dale at that St Emilion offline in 2007 on the East Side, Arv? I enjoyed that one a lot at the time.

I snagged 3 bottles of the 99 at auction last year and I enjoyed the first bottle. Definitely ripe and very ready to go, but nothing over the top.

Great food pics!