I know it's not Bordeaux but in spirit

Gerry M.

I know it's not Bordeaux but in spirit

Post by Gerry M. »

Our oldest daughter is turning 30 and with her celebratory dinner I'm looking at two wines to serve. Unfortunately, 1991 wasn't such a great year and I also don't have any in the cellar. My alternative is a 1991 Ch Montelena Estate followed by a 1997 Mount Eden. I chose the Mount Eden only because I'm looking for an excuse to try one :lol:
20210328_130606.jpg
JimHow

Re: I know it's not Bordeaux but in spirit

Post by JimHow »

Nicely done, GM, certainly within the spirit of BWE.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Loved the 91 Montelena last time I had it. My favorite of that era.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

1991 Montelena is more Bordeaux than Bordeaux.
AKR

Post by AKR »

I once attended a mega Montelena fest, maybe 50 people in a private room, with everyone bringing whatever Monty they wanted, with no limits on bottles (we had committed to a big F&B $ in exchange for no corkage), and there must have been multiple 30+ vintages of their flagship estate cab there...and not one was over the hill. Amazing vitality, although one perhaps fair criticism was that they were not as elegant as some Bordeaux e.g. Ducru.

For those who have not watched the movie, Bottleshock is worth the 2hrs. Both Bill Pullman and Alan Richter deliver fine performances, and are greatly missed, even if that movie is not either's magnus opus.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

Both wines showed remarkably well. The 91' Monty is one of my all-time favorite Cali cabs and sadly I only have one left. It's totally mature and will not get any better. Tannins are pretty much resolved with plenty of earth and herb notes with some meat and blood notes tossed in. The 97' Mount Eden was younger on the palate showing some mintyness and complexity of earth and smoke. Excellent wine that still has another 5 to 8 years at least of enjoyment. It shows its Sant Cruz roots and has some Monte Bello qualities to it.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

JimHow wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:27 pm 1991 Montelena is more Bordeaux than Bordeaux.
Does this happen to be a common theme for the 91 vintage in Napa? I would say the exact same about the 91 Beringer Private Reserve. Might need to seek some more out.

Arv, I totally agree about Bottle Shock. My favorite wine movie for sure. I have watched way too many times. I believe it is on Amazon Prime right now.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Well done Gerry. It is not right to include all California Cabernet into the same label. There are excellent wines and Montelena is surely a very excellent and interesting one. Never had (or even seen) the Mount Eden, but if it shows some Montebello qualities, that says it all.

I don't have many California or USA wines at home, but i want some more as i think i'm missing something.

Nic
JeanFred

Post by JeanFred »

About the regular cab from Montelena. How is it compare to the Estate

Thank

JeanFred
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

1991 was a fabulous year in Napa and pre-dates the full-on move to bigger, riper, oakier. Montelena Estate, Ridge MB, Dominus, Beringer PR, Mondavi Reserve, Dunn Howell Mtn, Laurel Glen, Togni, Harlan, La Jota Anniversary, Shafer Hillside were all outstanding and most are probably still good at 30 years out if well-stored. Montelena, Ridge, Dominus, and Togni were in some respects Bordeaux-ish.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

DavidG wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:22 am 1991 was a fabulous year in Napa and pre-dates the full-on move to bigger, riper, oakier. Montelena Estate, Ridge MB, Dominus, Beringer PR, Mondavi Reserve, Dunn Howell Mtn, Laurel Glen, Togni, Harlan, La Jota Anniversary, Shafer Hillside were all outstanding and most are probably still good at 30 years out if well-stored. Montelena, Ridge, Dominus, and Togni were in some respects Bordeaux-ish.
Solid Info, thanks David. I've got the Dominus 91 if anyone else has one of the others and wants to compare sometime in the future. Will have to seek out some of the others.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

I had the 1991 Mondavi Reserve recently, and it was singing. Best Cali Cab I've had in many years.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

JeanFred wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:04 am About the regular cab from Montelena. How is it compare to the Estate

Thank

JeanFred
Not ignoring you Jean-Fred. I just don't know.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

91 and 94 probably two best vintages of the 90s in Napa and surrounds.
AKR

Post by AKR »

JeanFred wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:04 am About the regular cab from Montelena. How is it compare to the Estate

Thank

JeanFred
The regular cab is what used to be called Calistoga Cuvee some years ago. In theory it was an earlier drinking version of its big brother, I think they made some effort to claim it was not a second wine. I thought it was pretty good across years I've tried, and think I put away a 2010 and/or 2013 of that bottling.

I suspect all of these though are going to be fairly bad value north of the border though.
Claret

Post by Claret »

Yup, 91 Cabs rock.

IIRC 91 Dominus used barrels originally intended for Petrus. As no Petrus was made in 91 the barrels were shipped to Napa.
Glenn
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

The 94 Dominus is one of the few (the only?) cali cabs that I prefer to the 91. (But both the 91 and the 94 Dominus are awesome).
Michael Malinoski

Post by Michael Malinoski »

Nice evening there and a great reason to celebrate, Gerry.

I brought a 91 Montelena to an end of year “bring something good” tasting like 2-3 years ago and it was wine of the night ahead of 86 Mouton, 82 Pavie, 78 Margaux, 66 La Mission H-B. I personally preferred an 82 Penfolds Grange and a 90 Jaboulet La Chapelle, but just by a small amount. Still, that wine competes with the big boys effortlessly.

Michael
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Anyone had the 87 or 97?

The first is a birth year wine I'm seeking out, and I have a bottle of the second. I wasn't overly impressed with the 2002 but I haven't liked a lot of 2001-2009 Napa.

Did Montelena ever become "Parkerized?"
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Montelena in recent years is not over-ripe or too oaky IMO.