an early birthday present

rthomaspaull

an early birthday present

Post by rthomaspaull »

I have decided to give myself an early birthday present by essentially stopping posting to or looking at posts from wine forums. It is clear that they and I are really ill suited to each other. As I often agree with Robert Parker (horrors) I will happily go with Grundeken and my subsequent studies. I know my scores are a bit on the high side, but I do not care if they are right or wrong as long as a great deal of pleasure is given to my wife and myself and some others. Best wishes to all, especially DavidG, rthomaspaull
tim

Re: an early birthday present

Post by tim »

RT, I don't know if you are real or not, but you are certainly doing all of the typical troll tells, right down to the goodbye post.

I enjoy welcoming new members to BWE. We are a small but open community that loves talking about Bordeaux wines. There is a certain amount of anonymity behind our online profiles. Most of us have met in person, so we know each other. I assume people are real until they put out a number of tells. Once you hit four or five tells, I start to think that there is a problem.

That being said, there is an easy way to officially welcome you to BWE, and that is to have you join us by video on our next Zoom tasting call. Any interest in doing that?
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

RT, I find your internet naivete refreshing. If you're able to get thru the "initiation" period you'll do fine.
You may be old but you're only too old if you decide to be so.
Joining a BWE Zoom meeting would be a great way to step up to the next level of internet socialization, rather than backing away after a frustrating initial foray.
All the best, Chris.
rthomaspaull

Post by rthomaspaull »

To Tim: I do not go on video except to friends and family. Please define trolling (I have some idea but could be wrong: I don't do it on purpose).

To Chris F. : Many thanks for another kind post. You have been very helpful to me and I will miss you, as I should have posted before this. My apologies. I do not feel like having internet socialization. These days I usually see few but family and close friends, but at my age this seems fine with me.
All the best, rthomaspaull
tim

Post by tim »

"I do not go on video except to friends and family." Yeah, I thought that would be the response. I think you are likely a fraud.

Just to recap:
1. Using two different names on BWE and WB
2. No demographic matches for search on your WB name on public search engines
3. No reference to "Grundeken" and wine on google except for your posts on BWE and WB (you would think the author of such a famous piece would be discoverable on google)
4. Only copy of the famous "Grundeken" article is a "tattered one that I printed out in 2007"
5. No Google hits on the title of the famous article "Reclassifying Bordeaux According to Wine Advocate Ratings" which was supposedly written by Grundeken
6. Presenting a "sensible" pricing system when you are apparently no longer buying wine
7. That "sensible" pricing system is based on the square root of 1.108 which is derived from how much you supposedly paid for the only 100 point wine that you ever tasted years ago
8. 87 years old wine lover and apparently first time discovering wine forums
9. Posting over 100 posts in one month to a new forum where the majority of those posts are about your wine classification system/pricing system/Wine Advocate etc
10. Anyone that challenges you (Jeff Leve, Mark Golodetz, me) is rude and unfairly attacking you
Etc etc.

Now there is a slight chance that you are real, but at this point I am not giving you the benefit of the doubt.

And for everyone else, apologies if I end up chasing RT off of BWE, but I can't ignore the mounting evidence.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I tend to agree Tim, but I don’t understand the motive. What’s the point?

Perhaps to try and piss us off with irritating repetitiveness and a slavish adherence to Parker and Parker points taken down to even more spurious accuracy of tenths of one point?

We are a welcoming community but in this case politeness moves on to irritation, and I have an obsequious apology post. To what end?

Maybe RT is Mark Squires reincarnated/Mark Squires in drag?
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I want to welcome and have participation of new members, but in this case, I tend to agree with Tim.

The repetitivness of RTP is kind of destabilizing, and not very inviting for discussion.

Ok, you don't do videos with others, but can you post a sensitive and sensual comment about a red vin de Bordeaux that you enjoyed lately? That would be kind of a start...

And for lurkers, i invite you to join but RTP is surely not the best example to follow.

Nic

P.S. another strange thing that makes me have some doubts, RTP thinks Lynch Bages should be Deuxième Cru Classé. Is there any serious real person that really think that?
Last edited by Nicklasss on Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jal

Post by jal »

I don't know RTP, but putting 1+1+1+1=4 I figured he could be Sir Richard Thomas Paul Latham, born Apr 15, 1934 which will make him almost 87.
https://peoplepill.com/people/sir-richa ... am-3rd-bt/
Then again he could be someone else.
Frankly, I don't really know and I don't really care, I'm happy to give anyone the benefit of the doubt. My eyes usually glaze over his posts but I have a short attention span, and I go on to read something else. Let it just be on the record that I can't think of any reason why anyone would want to go through this rigamarole of impersonating someone and trolling a whole group of wine lovers.
Oh and obviously, moderators do not delete posts on BWE unless they are outright spam.
Best

Jacques
rthomaspaull

Post by rthomaspaull »

To Tim: I am not a fraud.
In at least one sense you are trolling me. Your opinion is REALLY unimportant to me.
!. Lousy computer skills.
2. OK by me.
3,4,5. I could not find references to it either (it was only on the internet for a few years) and it was lucky that I printed it out. As the
scores were only by Robert Parker it could be redone with a great deal of work,
6. I thought it might help someone.
7.It is based on the $170(haha) I would currently pay for a left bank red Bordeaux that I scored 100. I explained the square root as applying
to a half-point change.
8. Nearly 87, and though I knew about wine forums I ignored them, as I should have kept doing.
9.I (unusually) have a lot of time on my hands. Maybe I should delete all my posts but I can't be bothered.
10. I consider only some of them rude (maybe I am too old-fashioned). rthomaspaull
jckba

Post by jckba »

Nic, I agreed with classifying Lynch Bages as a 2nd growth based on the highs that it frequently reaches for my palate.

RWT, hope you have a happy 87th birthday and celebrate it with a fine bottle of Bdx that ranks on your scale.
rthomaspaull

Post by rthomaspaull »

To Comte Flaneur: I agree with Parker's rankings (except about Gruaud Larose) more than I do with yours, but that is largely meaningless because you
have had far more chateaux of left bank red Bordeaux than I have.

Tenths of a point? Mark squires?? rthomaspaull
Last edited by rthomaspaull on Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

rthomaspaull wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:09 pm ...
My apologies. I do not feel like having internet socialization.
Since this is precisely what happens here, it begs the question - what was your intent?
rthomaspaull

Post by rthomaspaull »

To Nicklasss: It is not my opinion about Lynch Bages (I have doubts) but Parker's averaged rating .
I am not good about detailed descriptions about wine but lately have enjoyed the 2009 and 2010 Gloria, the 2010 D'Armailhac, the 2010 Cantemerle and on trying out the 2015 Malartic Lagraviere Rouge, the 2015 and 2016 Domaine de Chevalier Rouge, and the 2016 Grand-Puy-Lacoste.

LURKERS BEWARE !! This seemingly polite forum can sometimes resemble Wine Berserkers (which does have more posters and info.)

rthomaspaull
rthomaspaull

Post by rthomaspaull »

To Chris F.: Please read my answer 6 to Tim. I am sorry if I did not help you, as I wanted to do.

To Jckba: Very many thanks. I love your suggestion and will try to follow it. Best, rthomaspaull
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

RT, I have to let you know a little discussion forum general knowledge. Starting a topic to say "I don't belong here, goodbye!" is a classic troll move, especially when the topic starter hangs around to respond to all the attention he's getting. A troll is simply someone who wants attention and will write just about anything to get it.
I attribute the traps you are falling into as evidence of your inexperience, not any selfish or nefarious motive, and if you find the challenge at all worthwhile, you should continue to gather experience.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Oh shit Racer, I get it from your definition, I'm a troll!

rthomaspaull, at least, I can now have something in common with you, I loved the 2010 Chateau Cantemerle, probably among the 5 best Cantemerle that exist. I really liked the 2015 Domaine de Chevalier too, the only time i had it, but unfortunately did not bought some en primeur, and not avaible here since then. But I bought some 2016 and 2018 Domaine de Chevalier, and looking at greatbxfreak 2018 ratings, very happy to have some 2018!

And of course, I'm sorry about the Lynch Bages comment, your name is in the comment but it was a (fun?) way to disagree with all others here that think Lynch Bages is kind of Second Growth. But on Lynch Bages, i'm more aligned with sdr, SF Ed, stefan and Jimmy "the poor man Mouton" How.

And of course, happy birthday in advance, and you should change idea for your gift.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

This is a funny thread, I LOLed several times.

While the approach is different, this reminds me of an epic trolling stretch on the old, pre-voting restrictions eBob in late 2005 when some clown showed up, started posting 50+ times a day with comments like “I’m drinking the 61 La Tache tonight, given that who cares about the XXX wine in this thread?”. Needless to say, a shit storm ensued and after a fortnight of mischief, this poster vanished never to be heard from again despite his claims of adoring wines and having a cellar with 10,000+ bottles of the most famous wines from the 19th and 20th centuries.