A night of Calon Segur.

JimHow

A night of Calon Segur.

Post by JimHow »

We did a little Zoom dinner last night with Jacques/Jill and Stefan and the birthday girl, Jan/Lucie.

Happy Birthday Lucie!

Stefan started the festivities by uncorking a 2002 Calon Segur, so I pulled out one of my bottles from the MacArthur's Heist a few years back, how we didn't buy out the entire 2002 stock that day is beyond me.

This wine was stunning, right on point, second growth quality, a classic styled Calon Segur, I may have liked it better than even the 95/96 I've enjoyed in the past. It just makes sense that Calon Segur + 2002 is a perfect match. It cost $29.99, incredible.

Jacques pulled out his only Calon Segur... a 1982. I could tell through the Zoom screen that Jill was really, really liking the wine. I related a fond memory of the 1982 Calon Segur, when I was in the Bronx for a Sox/Yankees game circa 2003/2004, and I went down to Chinatown to meet up with Pappa Doc, Arv, and Gio, and we drank 9 bottles between the four of us, including a 1982 Calon Segur that I brought along, Pappa Doc loved it so much that he bought three bottles the next day at Zachy's.

Speaking of heists, I encourage everyone to watch "This is a Robbery: The World's Biggest Art Heist", the four part Netflix documentary on the 1990 Gardner Museum art heist in Boston in 1990.

Great times!
Attachments
IMG_0388.jpg
jal

Re: A night of Calon Segur.

Post by jal »

With a rack of lamb cooked sous vide and simple roasted vegetables (cauliflower, carrots, onions, mushrooms, red peppers), we opened the 1982 Calon Segur I bought at auction in December to join in that zoom diner.

The cork didn't want to stay in the bottle and slid right in the moment I touched it with the Durand.

I had to decant a little early with a filter, and as I was afraid the wine would get too much air, I emptied and washed the bottle of Pinot Grigio I used for cooking and refilled it with the CS. Stuck a Repour on it and waited an hour until the food was ready.

I then decanted it again, efforts rewarded! The wine had a brilliant shiny purple color, very typical left bank 80s; nose of earth, cedar and tobacco, the palate is rich with robust fruit, nothing feminine about this but it's delicious with a strong structure and Jill and I finish the bottle easily. The finish is long and we are totally rewarded for opening a legendary wine on a zoom Thursday evening BWE dinner. 94

Great to see Jim (aka mountain man) How, Bill and Jan. Its been too long. Next time hopefully in person.

And Happy Birthday Jan!!

1982 CS.jpg
Cork 1.jpg
Cork2.jpg
Best

Jacques
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Great wines shared amongst friends even virtually sounds like a good thing.

Happy Birthday Jan.

Yes that 82 CS brings back memories and I'm sure I've mentioned it before it was the most amazing transformation we've shared in my life. What better wine can you share for Valentines Day with our good friends Claude and Darlene a few years back that J & J have shared dinner with in Sarasota. Upon opening Claude declared the wine DOA with a horrible funk blowing off the nose and acrid palate that seemed off but I saved the bottle from going down the drain and man were we surprised when the Phoenix rose from the ashes later in the evening. Incredible nose that wafted from the glass and long smooth finish. We couldn't believe the amazing metamorphosis. Special wine for sure and one that we'll never forget especially now that Darlene is no longer with us.

Glad everyone enjoyed and yes Calon Segur when its on can be an incredible wine at a very reasonable price. Too bad that I have found this out to late in my wine loving voyage. Too many great wines and not enough time or money but it has been a fun adventure along the way exploring the wine treasures the world has to offer and for us our hearts still lie in Bordeaux.
Danny
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Sounds like another lovely BWE get together, despite being virtual. The Calon Segurs all sound lovely. And Happy Birthday Jan!
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

A nice evening!
Dandersson

Post by Dandersson »

Sounds like a wonderful night with many great bottles of Calon Segur! Happy Birthday to Jan!

Best, Dan
William P

Post by William P »

Happy Birthday Jan.

Bill
AKR

Post by AKR »

I still remember those salt & pepper scallops from that dinner(s) back in the 03/04 timeframe.

Had s&p chicken wings (!) at a Chinese restaurant over the weekend, and dang, they were crazy good too.

Normally I don't like those, and just chop them off the birds when I get whole ones.

Happy Birthday (and Tax Day)
stefan

Post by stefan »

Lucie sends her thanks.

It was a great evening. Lucie and I also ate lamb with roasted vegetables. 2002 Calon is of course not a match for the legendary 1982, but it is an excellent representative for 2002 northern Medoc. It requires real lamb rather than the namely-pamby stuff we see so often, and we were fortunate to get some lamb rather than lambican to pair with the St Estephe.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

First of all, very happy birthday to that nice lady name Jan.

Very nice report and count me as a good fan of Chateau Calon Segur. I always liked it's very traditionnal character, that is even present in the 2009.

For the little story, about 12 years ago, we had dinner with dstgolf/Daniele/dstgolf's mother in Ottawa (Simone was less than a year old I think) and I brought a 1996 Chateau Calon Segur. It did not had any problem to be the best wine that night vs a Chablis Grand Cru (that was excellent) and a Calera Pinot noir wine). But what was more hard to understand, was that dstgolf did not brought any Bordeaux to a BWE offline dinner...
jal

Post by jal »

This was not easy, and I can only do it very sporadically. But here is a blast from the past:

41740.pdf
(480.49 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
Best

Jacques
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Wow! I take it back, we had 10 bottles!
That's an amazing find, Jacques, we really need to get access to that old site, thanks for pulling out this snippet!
AKR

Post by AKR »

Wow those notes from the old site are awesome. I had self imported those 82 Carmes Haut Brion around that time, as it was achingly hard to find in the US!

We miss you pappadoc!

(Actually just picked up an 2019 Max. Grunhauser Herrenberg Kab! a very nearby vyd to the Auslese mentioned in the old thread)
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Nice stuff jal.

I can almost feel it!
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Nic,

Another Salon Segur was brought to Quebec City by you when Jim surprised us showing up unexpectedly Nov 2016 and you brought a young but enjoyable 2011 which I'm sure will be much better going forward but very approachable at the time. Great night to share a few Bordeaux and I'll remember in the future SEULEMENT Bordeaux when you visit!

A few memories to share of the night with Jim sporting that uni-bomber look that gave him border crossing issues.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/czMLtdEhz3drKNBr5
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ha ha ah yes the James Suckling Unabomber look, they literally wouldn’t let me into Canada at first, and then I really had a hard time getting back into the US.

You think I looked like a terrorist then, you should see me now.
It’s about time to shave my Covid beard, though.

That 2011 Calon Segur was a beauty, I bought six bottles and shared one with Patrick, where were we when uncorked that, Patrick, and who was with us that night?
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

AKR wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:37 pm
We miss you pappadoc!
For sure. Keep spots warm for us in the GTRITS, Pappa.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

AKR,
Just drank one of my bottles of 2019 Max Grunhaus Herrenberg Kabinett earlier this week. Very impressive stuff but seems more like a Spatlese* than a Kabinett.

Chris Bublitz
Claret

Post by Claret »

AKR wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:37 pm Wow those notes from the old site are awesome. I had self imported those 82 Carmes Haut Brion around that time, as it was achingly hard to find in the US!

We miss you pappadoc!

(Actually just picked up an 2019 Max. Grunhauser Herrenberg Kab! a very nearby vyd to the Auslese mentioned in the old thread)
I will be doing a PappaDoc tribute later this year when I open a fine 2001 German John gifted me in NYC.
Glenn
AKR

Post by AKR »

Winona Chief wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:32 am AKR,
Just drank one of my bottles of 2019 Max Grunhaus Herrenberg Kabinett earlier this week. Very impressive stuff but seems more like a Spatlese* than a Kabinett.

Chris Bublitz
That's what everyone has been saying generically about this vintage (everything is up a level)....2019 is the first time I've really been motivated to buy Germany since Pappa was exhorting us decades ago. Unf, most of my family won't drink off-dry wines - they either like cocktails, true dessert wines, or simple (dry) blancs. So finding times to open them is tricky, but at least they keep well after opening.

Calon Segur seems to be on the upswing nowadays. I have not had any vintages recently unf.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

In honor of PappaDoc, I hereby place a standing offer to open a 2001 German Riesling any and every time I gather with fellow BWEers for refreshment and repast.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

dstgolf wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:50 pm Nic,

Another Salon Segur was brought to Quebec City by you when Jim surprised us showing up unexpectedly Nov 2016 and you brought a young but enjoyable 2011 which I'm sure will be much better going forward but very approachable at the time. Great night to share a few Bordeaux and I'll remember in the future SEULEMENT Bordeaux when you visit!

A few memories to share of the night with Jim sporting that uni-bomber look that gave him border crossing issues.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/czMLtdEhz3drKNBr5
Ha ha, that dinner in Québec City, with all kind of emotions... and i slept in the bath of the hotel room that night... ah well, I'm still with her.

No worry Danny, the Chablis Grand Cru was really something. I remember a guy that brought a "completely destroyed or fake" 1986 Yquem in Montréal...
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Seriously, i think i could drink only Calon Segur and 2001 dry/sweet white German wines for the rest of my life, and be very happy.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Quebec City remains high on my bucket list...
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Blanquito wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:29 am Quebec City remains high on my bucket list...
My wife and I spent a weekend in Quebec, was at least 40 years ago though. I didn't need a passport in those days.
We stayed outside the city in what was more like a small 4 or 5 story apartment building than a motel.
We visited a botanical garden and I remember walking around in the central part of the city.
I also recall having dinner at a Russian restaurant and at a German or Swiss restaurant as well.
My takeaway from the Russian dinner was an affinity for braised red cabbage.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Quebec City is one of my favorite places.
I need to get back there again soon.

Maine, of course, because we are the most common sense people in the country, has now leapt to the top of those fully vaccinated — 31.5% — well ahead of the national average of 24.3%, with Georgia pulling up the rear at 17.9%.

https://www.sunjournal.com/2021/04/16/m ... -covid-19/

We’re getting there!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

We used to go to the winter carnival in Quebec City every year in February, parades, and ice sculptures, and large crowds in drunken revelry in sub-zero temps, the wind ripping in from the St. Lawrence. The old city, with one Parisian styled restaurant after another on winding European streets, centered by the Chateau Frontenac. Large contingents of Mainers would trek across the border through the tiny border town of Jackman , the Québécois used to come down to Maine for snow shoe festivals, and Old Orchard Beach in the summer, of course. The French pols from Lewiston and Biddeford and Waterville used to travel for Maine Day celebrations at the festival, getting inebriated on the liquor in that cane, what do they call that, Nicola and Danny? Is the festival still a big event? It’s been 20 years since I last went.