2015 Grand Mayne

William P

2015 Grand Mayne

Post by William P »

Deeply scented, earthy, lightly perfumed, hint of oak. Garnet rim. Opaque. Evolved to ripe blackberry. Very pleasing.

Full bodied on the minus side. Very round gracious tannins but slightly drying, sufficient acid for balance but more of a quaffer than a dinner wine.

It's an easy wine to drink, pretty but not very exciting or complex. This bottle is drinking well today and I project this is not deep cellar wine.

Ripe dark berry, earth, and some oak are the predominant flavors. This is not a termite wine but the oak is present. Maybe a hint of coffee can be found.

While a fun hedonistic wine that is enjoyable to drink, the question I have is price. The wine world is afloat in excellent wines in the 40s. This was $42. I don't think it's a great value. In my mind, this is may a $30.00 wine. I don't believe it will substantially improve with age. A well made wine, that drinks fine now but not very exciting.

I'll give it a 90 but I have a feeling many here will not like this wine.

Bill
Nicklasss

Re: 2015 Grand Mayne

Post by Nicklasss »

Your comment is spot on Bill. I might have liked it just a notch better, but hedonistic, pleasing, not a dinner wine, are all good words for the 2015 Chateau Grand Mayne. But it drinks so well... i had it at the beach, under a strong sun, and liked it! Weird situation, but the Saint Émilion was clearly accepting the challenge that day.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I gotta uncork one of my five bottles of 2005 Grand Mayne sometime. What vintage was so great, I think it was the ‘98, or was it the 2000.
AKR

Post by AKR »

90, 95, 98 were all great. I'm not sure I've pulled any of the 00 or 05s; might not have the latter either.

They do last longer than one would think, evidenced by a 20+ yr old 95 from a few years ago.

I agree on the price issue, at $40ish there is a lot to choose from.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yeah as I recall, the 1998 was outstanding, and the 2000 was a bit of a disappointment.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

This thread prompted me to open a 1998 Grand Mayne tonight, and what a wonderful wine it is. I’d say fully mature and zero reason to wait if you have some, but it will probably hold at this terrific level for 20 more years.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

2015? I was wondering if it was time to open my 1989 Grand Mayne. Or Blanquito, do you think it needs another Blanquito?

Chris Bublitz
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Winona Chief wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:59 pm 2015? I was wondering if it was time to open my 1989 Grand Mayne. Or Blanquito, do you think it needs another Blanquito?

Chris Bublitz
I’m a fan of the 89! It’s Grand.

I drank mine up years ago if that says anything, but I’d bet well stored bottles are still going strong.
Michael Malinoski

Post by Michael Malinoski »

I bought 3 bottles of the 1989 at auction a few years ago and opened the first just 2-3 months ago. I thought it was more subtle than I expected, and maybe a bit more four-square than I had hoped. Not bad by any means, just not up to expectations. Happy to delve into another soon to confirm or revise fist impressions!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

This thread prompted me to open a 1998 Grand Mayne tonight, and what a wonderful wine it is. I’d say fully mature and zero reason to wait if you have some, but it will probably hold at this terrific level for 20 more years.
That is certainly above and beyond the call of duty, Blanquito, you are recipient of the BD award of excellence for Monday, May 3, 2021.

Is 1998 Grand Mayne the Ah-ha "Take on Me"* one-hit-wonder of this estate?

*Voted by Rolling Stone magazine as the number one one-hit-wonder song of all time.
Michael Malinoski

Post by Michael Malinoski »

There used to be a syndicated DJ with a show called Lost 45s. I think he had like Seasons in the Sun or The Night Chicago Died as #1. That ah-ha video back in the early days of MTV was fantastic!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

It truly was revolutionary!
Ah, MTV in the 80s... memories!
Claret

Post by Claret »

The 95 is a good one.
Glenn
marcs

Post by marcs »

JimHow wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:04 pm Yeah as I recall, the 1998 was outstanding, and the 2000 was a bit of a disappointment.
Wasn't my experience, I thought the 2000 was excellent especially for the price. Here is a recent TN (a couple of weeks ago) for the 2000:

2000 Grand Mayne -- has both Premier Cru and Winebid stickers. Starts out a bit bland with medium fruit but clearly deep, earthy, and substantial. Eventually the nose opens up with a powerful dark fruit blackberry tug to it. The palate too -- substantial, flavorful, interesting, and mouthfilling. Still has years to go but has the harmonious "melded" quality of a mature wine that I like. Earthy wet forest floor, floral/fruit sweetness, and a bit of tangy green pepper. Hints of chocolate around the edges. Definitely a bit more rustic, a touch rougher, blockier, and earthier/harsher/cruder than the higher level Pomerols I've been enjoying recently, but not as far off as you would think given that it was less than one-third the price. The lengthy finish has a bite and is a touch unharmonious but still very enjoyable. Essence of a solid, robust right bank Bordeaux at maturity. Frankly I enjoyed this more than the 2015 Chateau Canon I had last month, which was super polished, smooth, and deep but internationally styled and just plain not as interesting an experience as sitting with this.