Wine Inventory Software

RDD

Wine Inventory Software

Post by RDD »

Hi All!
Been away for a long time but hope to be spending more time here.
Susan and I are trying to downsize for retirement soon.
To that end I plan on reducing my cellar.
But need to start with inventory .
What is the best inventory software you are using?
I used to use Parkers software but that was many years ago.

Also had a 2003 Leoville Barton with dry aged Porterhouse. It was drinking great.
Thanks
Racer Chris

Re: Wine Inventory Software

Post by Racer Chris »

Cellartracker, hands down.
Not software though - its a website.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Also, its way better than just an inventory tool.
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

CellarTracker, zero question.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

ROB!!!!

Awesome to hear from you, my brother.

Say hi to your better half!

Cellartracker is so easy that even a computer dimwit like me can manage it.
jckba

Post by jckba »

No software just a plain old spreadsheet that I update quarterly with any incoming new arrivals as well as the bottles opened and/or sold. I keep the daily changes in a notepad on my phone so I know what to add/subtract when doing said quarterly updates.

On multiple occasions, I have thought about importing my spreadsheet into cellartracker but when push comes to shove, old habits die hard.

PS. And I too am a big fan of the 2003 Leoville Barton
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

I am outside the pack when it comes to wine inventory software.

I use Vinocell for tracking my wine. Cellartracker is great, and it seems like it works a bit different than others in that it has its own database and you add the wine from the database. As a downside, there could be multiple wine entries of the same wine in the database. But I do not know how it affects the usage of the app.

However, I am very impressed with Vinocell, and the details I can enter for each chateau. So much so, I can enter different prices and details for each bottle of the same chateau. For example if you bought 2 bottles of the same chateau and same vintage with different prices, you can enter different prices for each bottle. Maybe cellartracker can do that too, and experts can chime in on that.

But on the downside, unlike cellartracker, Vinocell doesn't have access to wine ratings or forums, etc.

I have looked and paid for nearly half a dozen wine inventory apps and I love Vinocell as the best. I have been using it for over a decade and I am quite happy with it...If you are looking for a DIY wine inventory management and have all the database stored on your phone, I find Vinocell as the best...
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Can't help you with a wine inventory software, but really happy to see you're back.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Chateau Vin wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 4:42 pm I am outside the pack when it comes to wine inventory software.

I use Vinocell for tracking my wine. Cellartracker is great, and it seems like it works a bit different than others in that it has its own database and you add the wine from the database. As a downside, there could be multiple wine entries of the same wine in the database. But I do not know how it affects the usage of the app.
Multiple entries for one wine do occur occasionally. The management team fixes it whenever a situation is brought to their attention though. Generally speaking, the wine database in Cellartracker is very thorough.
However, I am very impressed with Vinocell, and the details I can enter for each chateau. So much so, I can enter different prices and details for each bottle of the same chateau. For example if you bought 2 bottles of the same chateau and same vintage with different prices, you can enter different prices for each bottle. Maybe cellartracker can do that too, and experts can chime in on that.
When a bottle of wine is added to one's personal database, the entry page includes boxes for purchase price, store, pending or delivered, and more.
But on the downside, unlike cellartracker, Vinocell doesn't have access to wine ratings or forums, etc.

I have looked and paid for nearly half a dozen wine inventory apps and I love Vinocell as the best. I have been using it for over a decade and I am quite happy with it...If you are looking for a DIY wine inventory management and have all the database stored on your phone, I find Vinocell as the best...
Payment for Cellartracker is voluntary. Amount requested is based on size of one's cellar. Some advanced features are unlocked when one pays versus using it for free.

Tasting notes written in Cellartracker are easy to share with popular wine discussion fora using a built in feature.
The database can be accessed from a desktop using their full website, or from a cellphone using either a web browser or their app.
The list of valuable features is extensive.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Rob, really good to hear from you.

I’ll pile on re: CellarTracker. Incredibly easy and versatile, and Eric Levine whose baby it is is a great guy and has a great support team.

You still riding? I got a lot of vicarious thrills from your Paris-Brest training and adventure.OrlandoRobert here is a cycling fanatic.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Great to hear from you RDD. I guess I'm the outlier - I don't have any clever software/spreadsheets. I tend to lose stuff as a result.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Rob, great to see your post. I happen to use a spreadsheet that I built decades ago before CellarTracker existed. And I've always resisted the effort to convert over. Plus I'm the one who owns my inventory, and it will never disappear through any Internet foul play.

I will say that I do go to CellarTracker sometimes to look up other people's tasting notes on a wine, especially if I can't find any professional reviews that I can access. Since you don't have anything in existence, I suspect that CT is the way to go.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I suppose if you are worried about your data disappearing into the cloud, you could download your CellarTracker data to Excel whenever you update it. Not a reason to switch to CT if you’ve got a solution that works, but also no reason to fear loss of data if you back it up.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Can you print a Restaurant Style Wine List of the contents of your cellar with any of these applications other than Cellartracker?
Last edited by Racer Chris on Thu May 20, 2021 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

I use the think system (popularized by Robert Preston in The Music Man) to keep track of all my wines. Unfortunately, as I have aged my brain has become less agile at that sort of thing. 😀

Chris Bublitz
s*d*r

Post by s*d*r »

It’s difficult to conceive ways CT could improve. Eric and his team have thought of *everything.*
Stu

Je bois donc je suis.
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

I've used an Excel sheet for many years. I have modified it, and I use a data column where I can sort and filter.

Examples:

LIEBHERR 1 FRANCE BORDEAUX SAINT-ÉMILION 1996 1 0 1 RED 1990 0.75 BEAUSÉJOUR DUFFAU 290 290 1F 4

LIEBHERR 2 FRANCE BORDEAUX PULIGNY MONTRACHET 2020 1 0 1 DRY WHITE 2017 0.75 CLOS DE LA MOUCHERE - HENRI BOILLOT 995 995 1B 9

F = front rows

B - back rows

It would be perfect to have one where you could make a graphic overview of your cellar.

I don't need to have TNs/ratings in my inventory as I always can find these on my own website and www.tastingbook.com